• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ESPN suspends Grantland effective immediately

TownieDeac

words are futile devices
Reaction score
http://www.thewrap.com/espn-suspends-grantland-effective-immediately/

“After careful consideration, we have decided to direct our time and energy going forward to projects,” network says regarding Bill Simmons’ former site
ESPN has suspended Grantland, the sports and pop culture site launched by Bill Simmons.

See the full statement below.

"Effective immediately we are suspending the publication of Grantland. After careful consideration, we have decided to direct our time and energy going forward to projects that we believe will have a broader and more significant impact across our enterprise.
Grantland distinguished itself with quality writing, smart ideas, original thinking and fun. We are grateful to those who made it so. Bill Simmons was passionately committed to the site and proved to be an outstanding editor with a real eye for talent. Thanks to all the other writers, editors and staff who worked very hard to create content with an identifiable sensibility and consistent intelligence and quality. We also extend our thanks to Chris Connelly who stepped in to help us maintain the site these past five months as he returns to his prior role.
Despite this change, the legacy of smart long-form sports story-telling and innovative short form video content will continue, finding a home on many of our other ESPN platforms."

Horrible news. Between Grantland and the Dissolve I've lost two of my favorite websites in the last six months.

I don't follow this

Is ESPN really in bad financial shape?

Is it all the big TV contracts with the conferences and leagues?

I don't follow this

Is ESPN really in bad financial shape?

Is it all the big TV contracts with the conferences and leagues?

cord cutters hit ESPN disproportionately because they are the most expensive cable channel and that trend has coincided with them shelling out shit tons of money for rights

Signs were obvious, but man, ESPN is in free fall. Even those that survived the most recent lay-offs, have to be looking over their shoulder. Wasn't long ago that ESPN was considered the invincible sports behemoth. Now its starting to look like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8az6m8qgYeI

Not quite right.

James Andrew Miller ‏@JimMiller 5m5 minutes ago

All @Grantland33 writers will have their contracts honored; intent is to use sports writers on other @espn platforms.

a lot of the writers on twitter are acting like they're done. i guess of course espn can use zach lowe but where the fuck are they gonna put an andy greenwald article on the walking dead?

Ah shit. Now I'm gonna have to find something else to read during lunch.

Wasn't today Rembert Browne's last day with them either way?

Back