• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Louisville Game Review

Deac94

Reaction score
OFFENSE - OVERALL

Out of 16 offensive possessions, Wake managed only 3 drives of more than 5 plays – and two of those were drives of just 6 plays.
Wake would manage 266 yards of total offense, with 168 (63%) of those yards coming on just 3 long pass plays.

PASSING OFFENSE

The Wake QB’s would combine to go 9-for-30, but those numbers need to be put in context. Louisville played the type of defense that every team should play against Wake. Tight bump coverage. Rush only 4 and drop players into coverage. Take away all the easier, higher percentage throws and dare Wake to beat you deep. Gone were plays like out routes and stop routes that were the bread and butter plays against teams like Florida State. There are also questions that should be asked about how often Wake’s WRs are beating opposing DBs. While the QB play was unquestionably not good, it wasn’t going to be a high percentage passing night under any circumstances.

The TD pass to Tabari Hines showed what was possible against this defense. Hines took advantage of a bigger defender and beat him decisively off the line of scrimmage. He didn’t give the DB a chance to bump him. Hines gained several steps on him. If Wolford’s pass had hit him in stride I don’t think the single high safety would have been able to get to him. It could have been an easy-looking TD. Instead, the ball was underthrown. However Hines did a great job to adjust to the ball and then juke past the Cardinal defenders that had been given a chance to close in on him.

Hines would later add a key 4Q reception on fourth down.

From my vantage point in the stands, I didn’t realize that Cortez Lewis secured his TD catch entirely with one hand. A great play by Lewis. It was Wake’s longest pass completion since 2011.

THE INTERCEPTIONS

In the second half, Wake’s QBs would complete as many passes to Louisville players as they would to Wake players (four). Here is a look at each INT:
#1 – Hinton was pressured by a delayed blitz. Running towards the right sideline he tried to throw back across his body to the middle of the field. Bad idea.
#2 – Wolford had good pass protection and decided to attempt a throw to Chuck Wade in tight coverage. The pass was high and behind Wade who tipped the ball into the hands of a defender. The radio broadcast blamed Wade. I didn’t see it that way. I thought more should have gone to Wolford for attempting the throw over the middle into bracketed coverage and then being off the mark with the pass.
#3 – Wolford threw a short pass high and hard to Serigne who tipped the ball into the hands of a defender. I think Serigne could have come down with the pass. I don’t know who to blame on this one, but I did notice that Clawson seemed to be upset with Wolford after the play.
#4 – Wolford threw a deep ball into tight coverage. There didn’t seem to be any opening when the ball was thrown. KJ Brent appeared to me to be more focused on attempting to draw a pass interference call than preventing the safety from making the interception.

RUSHING OFFENSE

Bell and Colburn gained 3 or more yards on 9 of 20 rushing attempts (45%). That’s near their season-low. Only one rush went for longer than 6 yards. Matt Colburn – in his first “revenge game” – didn’t manage a run longer than 5 yards in 11 attempts. Colburn had more carries than Bell (11 to 9).

OFFENSIVE LINE

Louisville DE Trevon Young (Rivals #76 overall JuCO player in the 2014 class) repeatedly victimized Wake’s right tackle (mostly at the beginning and end of the game). Ryan Anderson replaced the struggling Phil Haynes sometime in the first half and remained there for the rest of the game. Anderson stabilized the position until Wake’s final two plays from scrimmage when he would be beaten in back-to-back plays that ended Wake’s hopes.

Justin Herron might have had his worst game of the season.

Wake’s best pass protection plays came when Cam Serigne stayed into block. I noticed Serigne helping the right tackle more than in previous games, but it still doesn’t happen that often. It would have interesting to see how the staff would have used Zach Gordon if he had stayed healthy.

The obvious breakdowns:
Justin Herron (5) – 2Q gave up QB hit, 2Q beaten outside causing QB to flush, 3Q beaten badly for a sack, 3Q false start penalty, 4Q allowed pressure that flushed Hinton
Ryan Anderson (3) – 2Q beaten by outside rush, 4Q allowed pressure that flushed Hinton, 4Q allowed strip sack of Hinton
Phil Haynes (2) – 1Q beaten by power rush, 1Q gave up sack to Trevon Young

DEFENSE – OVERALL

The defense played great. They held Louisville to just 317 total yards. The Cardinals were held to less than 10 yards on 9 out of their 14 possessions.

The biggest single positive for the Deacons was the consistently superb play from Brandon Chubb (12 total tackles, including one tackle for loss). Two UofL QBs would head to the sideline after encounters with Chubb (both plays were legal). I couldn’t help but notice that when Chubb and Marquel Lee were given a breather for one play in 4Q Louisville was able to tear off a 22 yard run. When Chubb and Lee were in the game the Cardinal RBs averaged a little over 2 yards per carry. Coming into the game much had been made of the running ability of Louisville QBs Jackson and Bonnafon. Even if you exclude sacks, they still totaled only 40 yards rushing on the night.

Another positive for Wake was improved pass pressure from the 3rd down subpackage which helped close the door each time Louisville was in 3rd and long.

While the defense was great, some of Louisville’s woes were attributable to poor play from the Cardinals, including some bad mistakes by young offensive linemen and a lot of penalties that often left UofL in long down and distance situations.

DEFENSIVE LINE

The DL had 8 solo tackles, 1.5 sacks, 2.5 tackles for loss and 0 forced fumbles. The DL is still a weak point for the Deacs, but to their credit they have become more active in the past games.

Duke Ejiofor showed again that he is our most dangerous DE when he took advantage of a matchup with true freshman OT and sacked the QB for a safety. He demolished the freshman on the play. What Wake needs is more of these type of plays from Ejiofor.

Josh Banks had a solid game. I said a couple of weeks ago that Zeek Rodney was our most valuable interior DL. I may have been off the mark. Banks had a very solid game. He had a QB hurry in 1Q on an inside spin move, a 2Q penetration that resulted in a tackle for loss and a 4Q QB pressure on a big 3rd and long play.

Tylor Harris is increasing his contribution each game. On Saturday he blew up the QB on a 3Q designed run (after a terrible play by a young Louisville O-lineman), and then blocked the FG attempt in 4Q. Interestingly, on the radio coverage earlier in the game Tommy Elrod had been playing up Harris’ ability to block FGs.

The following DL also had one impact play apiece: Shelldon Lewinson (2Q penetration that allowed him to tip a ball that fell incomplete) and Zeek Rodney (1Q pressure on stunt).

OTHER NOTES ON THE DEFENSE

Hunter Williams 4Q sack was a huge play.

Dionte Austin wasn’t targeted as much as I thought he would be. He gave up a few completions, including one where UofL used a WR’s 5-inch height advantage to win a ball and two 4Q passes that took advantage of the large cushion that the staff apparently has Austin using. But to Austin’s credit, Louisville didn’t do a whole lot against him.

Zach Dancel, who has been victimized on several long plays this year, didn’t see many plays come his way on Friday. However, he was solid on his tackles when he did have an opportunity and made a few plays in the area of the field where he has been more solid this season.

Mack Brown noted that Brad Watson camped at Texas when he was the head coach. Brown said that he obviously should have given Watson an offer at the time.

SPECIAL TEAMS

Positives: Zack Wary’s fumble recovery, Tylor Harris blocked FG, Brad Watson had a great special teams tackle to keep a punt returner from gaining any yardage.

Negatives: Weaver had a kickoff go out of bounds, several kickoff returns were downed inside the 20 (see more discussion below), Bachman’s fair catch on the punt that followed the safety.

Clawson spoke in his post-game about the kickoff returns as an example of an area where we are struggling with inexperience. I think teams are purposely leaving kickoffs short of the endzone because they know that our return game is a weakness. On the four kickoffs returned by Wake, they were downed at the following yard lines: 19, 14, 14 and 22.

Injuries: Alex Kinal (groin) and Mike Weaver (hip flexor) both came into the game nursing injuries.

CLAWSON

I try to be objective in my posts and write-ups, but make no mistake I am still VERY supportive of Clawson and staff. I think that I understand how he plans to rebuild this program, why it will take time, and the size of the hole that he is trying to dig this program out of. With respect to play calling, I would have people go back and listen to last week’s press conference where Clawson gave a 3 minute explanation in response to a question about why we don’t run the ball outside. Included in that discussion was how he measured the success rate of pin blocking in practice, how the strengths and weaknesses of the tight ends played into the decision and what they installed in place of outside runs. It was a pretty compelling explanation and leads me to believe that everything that they do, and don’t do, on offense is very calculated and tailored to the strengths and weaknesses of the offensive personnel.

You should be getting paid for your work.

Anybody with a Rivals subscription want to compare what they provide in terms of info/coverage on Wake football relative to Deac94? I know Scout doesn't seem to offer ish. I would guess Rivals offers interviews with recruits that we don't get here.

Anybody with a Rivals subscription want to compare what they provide in terms of info/coverage on Wake football relative to Deac94? I know Scout doesn't seem to offer ish. I would guess Rivals offers interviews with recruits that we don't get here.

Les Johns does a great job covering the Deacs and his stuff with Clawson is pretty good.

However, Deac94 is the best football poster on this entire board. Deac94 provides on the field details that I don't see on Rivals (how many snaps each players got and other details that aren't as obvious to the average fan).

The basketball content (on Rivals) has been great so far and I don't believe Deac94 does basketball the way he does football.

Deac94, Thanks for your excellent and thorough analysis of this game and others..

Here are a couple of my photos that might shed some light on what happened during two of the interceptions (#3 and #4).

The pass to Serigne looked to be a little high, maybe too high to catch without a leaping grab.

My photo of the interception of the pass to Brent does seem to show pass interference/holding that was not called. But those kind of things happen frequently (non calls) and you never know why. Maybe a ref didn't see it, maybe it wasn't considered serious, I don't know. In any case the ball was underthrown, I think.

Wolford%20to%20Serigne%20interception-L.jpg

Wolford%20to%20Brent%20interception-L.jpg

Also, here's my photo of the great catch made by Hines on the play that went for a TD.

Tabari%20Hines%20TD%20catch-L.jpg

I was screaming pass interference on that last pick, looks like the Cards defender had a hold of Brent's jersey.

I come to OG Boards to read Deac94 for football and Wrangor for basketball. Both could start and succeed at pay sites.

As for Rivals, it's complementary to this type of information. I find Rivals worth every cent of the premium.

After reading the other post from BG fans I think I'll be throwing up a lot at Wake games under Clawson. Why a long pass called from the sideline in a game where a FG gives you the lead and possible win? Why wasn't Hinton in there in the first place? You're at approx. their 45 and need about 25 yds for FG range. How many times has Hinton created this year to get the team from midfield into scoring position? I think if one reviewed the films about 3 times as much as Wolford. How can coaches not see this? Why even start Wolford when Hinton has earned the right to start with his play? Doesn't anyone have any reasonable insight into this issue?

Why not tailor the O more to Hinton's strengths? Roll outs, bootlegs, sprint options, draws, bootleg counters? You don't need a great O-line to run these with his strength, quickness and speed. It sure couldn't be any worse than the current read-options into the line for 1-3 yards. Wolford has not run the ball off the read in several games. This means the D knows the TB is getting the ball. Elrod even said everyone knows when Isaiah is in the backfield we are throwing the ball. The reasoning that we don't need deception anymore because we want to build a strong mentality and team, and not stay in a LOWF mode. Hello....do Clemson and UNC have deception built into their O philosophy? It's all over the field....

Agree. Great stuff, thanks. Can't wait to read your reports when we start winning!

Also agree. Great report. My only question of Clawson & Wolford would be why, when needing a FG to win the game & at or near that field position, are we throwing the ball "up" to Brent. A jump ball if you will at a time and position where you are not desperate for that. Throwing to Brent and have him make a play--that is just not smart in that situation.

Last edited:
Because our short passing game and rushing game were totally shut down, and the long ball was known to have 1-on-1 coverage. To the staff, this was the best shot for yardage no matter the situation.

Also agree. Great report. My only question of Clawson & Wolford would be why, when needing a FG to win the game & at or near that field position, are we throwing the ball "up" to Brent. A jump ball if you will at a time and position where you are not desperate for that. Throwing to Brent and have him make a play--that is just not smart in that situation.

I don't know, in a way I like the aggressiveness. Even if we get the FG, Louisville still has plenty of time to get their FG to go back up. However, if we put in the endzone there, Louisville has to have a TD to win and only had 1 timeout to work with. I would've liked to have seen maybe looking for Cam over the middle, but that resulted in an earlier pick. As is clear in the picture, the Louisville defender had a handful of Brent's jersey, should've been a PI call and 15 yards putting us in better position to try to get it in the endzone or at least run more clock and kick a FG. If we'd ran it 3 times for nothing, kicked the FG and then Louisville came down and kicked a FG to win, we'd have been bitching about playing it so conservative and just settling for the FG.

It sucked no matter how you cut it, we were -4 in turnovers and absolutely still should've won the game, so it really stung not to get the W with the bye week coming up and 2 road games where we're going to get shellacked. Right now, I just hope we can get through the ND and Clemson games without too much damage to our team and then put everything we can into beating Duke and ending the season with a win over a rival and one more win than last year. It sucks to have to think that way, but the news from the recruiting trial is encouraging, better days are ahead.

Clawson asked tonight on radio show about John Armstrong no longer returning kicks, " John is defensive back on our scout team, my decision. " Wonder how many transfers will see this year, guys like Armstrong, Tyree Harris, Jonathon Williams, etc. have shown some flashes but seem to be left out of the mix now. On the flip side the experience all the young guys are getting should pay off in the coming years.

I was wondering how much of an impact Jared Crump would have made this season. I ask in terms of taking playing time away from Brent and Lewis? Is he on the cusp of not being ask back? I think he is a talent/size you keep on your team.

Next year we have size in Montgomery? 6'5 I believe would be a RS Freshman also Claude? I think Clawson is all about developing the young players.

Next year we have size in Montgomery? 6'5 I believe would be a RS Freshman also Claude? I think Clawson is all about developing the young players.

Scotty Washington is the 6"5' guy you're thinkin about

I was wondering how much of an impact Jared Crump would have made this season. I ask in terms of taking playing time away from Brent and Lewis? Is he on the cusp of not being ask back? I think he is a talent/size you keep on your team.

I hate to say it about a kid that got hurt even before the season started, but Crump didn't impress me much last year. Now, a lot if not most of that is not his fault, but he just didn't seem to get open much even when Wolford had more than a couple of seconds to throw.

Scotty Washington is the 6"5' guy you're thinkin about

Clawson said last week that Washington had come a long way in practice from the start of camp. He said if the season started today, he along with a few others would've also had their shirts burned. Clawson sounded real high on some of the kids that are shirting this year along with the ones that are playing already.

Back