• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Got To Love Urban Meyer

ACCOffice

Reaction score
Suspends Barrett for the Minn. game only but takes away his scholarship for a semester.

I have to admit I was surprised he didn't suspend him for just the bye week.

He might be showing a QB recruit that there is an opening for him. Haskins maybe?

Just wrote a book on leadership. In interviews he has talked about the tough character standards he uses that sometimes costs him highly regarded recruits. Talked about how he would have dealt with the Jameis Winston situation much tougher than FSU. The guy can coach but he had around 40 players arrested when he was at Florida. Might want to stick to discussing man press vs. 2 deep coverage.

Just wrote a book on leadership. In interviews he has talked about the tough character standards he uses that sometimes costs him highly regarded recruits. Talked about how he would have dealt with the Jameis Winston situation much tougher than FSU. The guy can coach but he had around 40 players arrested when he was at Florida. Might want to stick to discussing man press vs. 2 deep coverage.

92944484.jpg.CROP.article250-medium.jpg

But really, isn't this one of those situations where the knowledge you let your team down is punishment enough?

#LessonsInLeadershipandLife

Will Grier wishes he had a DUI so he could play

To be fair to Urban, this is the first real off-field issue he's had at OSU. And while it's a big deal, it's also a big step down from the Florida mess

And he is a redshirt soph so he can go pro this year anyway. Not going to miss that schollie much this summer.

If you think he's going pro, you definitely haven't been following the college football season. Last game was the first one he started all year

To be fair to Urban, this is the first real off-field issue he's had at OSU. And while it's a big deal, it's also a big step down from the Florida mess

Didn't they have four players suspended for the VT game this season?

Last edited:
"Because of his past, Meyer's current problems are only being magnified. Just this past weekend, three Ohio State players were involved in separate incidents involving police. Running back Carlos Hyde was identified by police as a person of interest in an alleged assault of a woman at a bar. Cornerback Bradley Roby was arrested in Bloomington, Ind., on charges of battery resulting in bodily injuries after a disturbance at a nightclub, and freshman offensive lineman Tim Gardner was arrested for obstruction of official business. On July 14, freshman tight end Marcus Baugh was arrested for underage possession of alcohol and having a fake ID."

This is from 2013.

"But near the end of the 25-minute session, after he was asked about Ohio State turning in Florida for alleged NCAA rules violations, Meyer's stoic demeanor finally cracked."

Rumor or fact this happened?

Yeah touche - though they weren't murdering anyone

The underage drinking stuff is meh though - every college kid does that. It's a joke to hold athletes to a different standard

The underage drinking stuff is meh though - every college kid does that. It's a joke to hold athletes to a different standard

I agree it's meh, but the turning in Florida to the NCAA comment was interesting.

Exactly. And it's a joke to be critical of the coach when underage athletes drink and get in trouble. Those athletes may not be old enough to legally drink, but they are adults and are responsible for their own actions. The coach can't watch them twenty-four hours a day. He is only directly responsible for what they do on the practice field or in the game. The litmus test is how the coach deals with the infractions and how punishment is handed down. So in this case, Urban Meyer...wait.

Exactly. And it's a joke to be critical of the coach when underage athletes drink and get in trouble. Those athletes may not be old enough to legally drink, but they are adults and are responsible for their own actions. The coach can't watch them twenty-four hours a day. He is only directly responsible for what they do on the practice field or in the game. The litmus test is how the coach deals with the infractions and how punishment is handed down. So in this case, Urban Meyer...wait.

"a person of interest in an alleged assault of a woman at a bar. Cornerback Bradley Roby was arrested in Bloomington, Ind., on charges of battery resulting in bodily injuries after a disturbance at a nightclub, and freshman offensive lineman Tim Gardner was arrested for obstruction of official business."

There is a bit more there than underage drinking. I'm wouldn't call assaulting women a joke sober or not.

"a person of interest in an alleged assault of a woman at a bar. Cornerback Bradley Roby was arrested in Bloomington, Ind., on charges of battery resulting in bodily injuries after a disturbance at a nightclub, and freshman offensive lineman Tim Gardner was arrested for obstruction of official business."

There is a bit more there than underage drinking. I'm wouldn't call assaulting women a joke sober or not.

I agree, but my comment was in regard to underage drinking on the part of student athletes in general. I thought that was obvious given MysteryMan's post that I quoted.

And while assault is certainly not a joke, it's still not fair to hold the coach responsible for something that an athlete does in a bar at 2:00 in the morning. The coach can only cooperate with local law enforcement and hand down the appropriate level of punishment from the university's perspective.

Back