• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Will UNC ever be sanctioned?

one4theroad

Reaction score
I mean, they re-wrote the books on academic fraud over a 20 year period that included most all relevant players on championship teams, yet nothing has been done. So their football team is posed to win the Coastal at 8-1... and their basketball team is preseason #1... and I can already feel myself going postal when some dipstick announcer praises Carolina's players and coaches for surviving and thriving through "adversity." the adversity of having to go to class? I am not nearly convinced the football program has changed any part of their academic program. Fedora doesn't seem to have any regard for the NCAA or it's guidelines. I only wonder if the process is taking so long because Carolina is still cheating and the NCAA is racking up more evidence... I just wish the hammer would fall.. hard...and soon!

We are getting hopes crushed at noon today, isn't it too early to start another thread to get our hopes up for something else?

The NCAA has to know their actions in this case are setting the benchmark and that the student-athlete concept is going away.

No they won't. End thread.

yup, move along guys.

image_fragrance_obsession_for_men_00e0e2eb34.jpg

UNC will be punished around the same time Duke receives their punishment for Corey Maggette and Lance Thomas.

I'm tempted to say we might be better off with the NCAA never actually ruling (and presumably giving a softball penalty), and prolonging UNC's experience living under the cloud. But on the other hand, as you've pointed out, they are competing for championships in football and basketball this year, and they continue to recruit better than us in both sports even with the cloud (even though their recruiting has dropped some). So who the fuck knows.

You guys don't understand. The current players did nothing wrong, so any punishment levied would unnecessarily hurt innocent folks. Might as well keep the trophies and championships too if they promise to really quit cheating.

You guys don't understand. The current players did nothing wrong, so any punishment levied would unnecessarily hurt innocent folks. Might as well keep the trophies and championships too if they promise to really quit cheating.

So why not lower the hammer on UNC and let the players transfer and have the ability to play next year without having to sit out a year?

I apologize if the following has already been discussed in the longer UNC Sanction thread. UNC was suppose to have their hearing with the NCAA sometime either this past August or September. However, about a week or two before the hearing UNC reported more academic infractions against two of their sports programs to the NCAA. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe it was womens basketball and either mens or womens soccer. As a result, by NCAA regulations, the NCAA has 60 days to investigate/followup on the new infractions. Then, the NCAA will send a letter to UNC, and UNC has 90 days to respond. Basically, all UNC did was push their hearing back 5 months to allow their mens basketball program one more run at an NCAA Title before the hammer drops.

Is what UNC did legal? Yes, was it ethical? That is another discussion. Personally, I believe the bigger question is if UNC will keep using this tactic over and over again, thus delaying their hearing indefinitely.

So why not lower the hammer on UNC and let the players transfer and have the ability to play next year without having to sit out a year?
We are on the same page. I was just making fun of whiny Tarheel logic.

Why even do that? It's not like any of the current players committed to UNC without knowing about the possibility of NCAA punishments. This has been going on for over 5 years. They chose to play for the cheaters, they should have to live with the consequences of that choice.

Why even do that? It's not like any of the current players committed to UNC without knowing about the possibility of NCAA punishments. This has been going on for over 5 years. They chose to play for the cheaters, they should have to live with the consequences of that choice.

Disagree, if Hood wanted to leave Crappel Hill and come play for us, I'd have no problem with that.

Is what UNC did legal? Yes, was it ethical? That is another discussion. Personally, I believe the bigger question is if UNC will keep using this tactic over and over again, thus delaying their hearing indefinitely.

Well I imagine there are enough academic infractions to report over and over again, indefinitely.

UNC may possibly be sanctioned one day, but don't hold your breath. Awarding Dean Smith the Medal of Freedom by Obama probably bought UNC some immunity and now now the US Basketball Writers Association is set to present annual awards to someone in the game who embodies Smith's legacy.

Back