• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Missouri Football Players Strike

TownieDeac

words are futile devices
Reaction score
http://thinkprogress.org/sports/2015/11/08/3720338/missouri-black-football-players-strike/

University Of Missouri’s Black Football Players Strike, Won’t Play Until President Resigns

Following a series of racist incidents on campus, at least 32 members of the University of Missouri’s football team will not play until the school’s president, Tim Wolfe, resigns. On Saturday night, a group of black players declared that they are going on strike, citing Wolfe’s “negligence” in handling discrimination on campus.

Athlete strike due to administrative negligence? Damn, why didn't we think of that?

I've never seen one but if they don't play, aren't they in violation of the Athleric Aid Agreement they signed? This could be a very interesting standoff.

Got my PhD at Mizzou, so as an alumni (who did not give one shit about athletics there) I fully support this effort. I do wonder though if the football players realize that they are playing for a school who mascot name comes from the pro-slavery anti Union illegal militia that marauded around central Missouri attking Union troops stationed there during and after the Civil war.

Whether they have a point or not, you can't set a precedent by letting mob mentality rule.

whoa.

Pinkel swinging the big stick. That's a pretty bold move unless the administration has already gotten to him and is just controlling P.R... Honestly, if Wolfe is already (effectively) out... it would be a pretty smart play.

Pinker and his players protest better than they play.

Got my PhD at Mizzou, so as an alumni (who did not give one shit about athletics there) I fully support this effort. I do wonder though if the football players realize that they are playing for a school who mascot name comes from the pro-slavery anti Union illegal militia that marauded around central Missouri attking Union troops stationed there during and after the Civil war.

And here I thought Harry Truman had a pet tiger like Mike Tyson

Whether they have a point or not, you can't set a precedent by letting mob mentality rule.

Which is why they're protesting. They believe the university leadership is allowing mob mentality to target black students on campus.

Back