• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Notre Dame Game Review / Clemson Game Week Discussion Thread

Deac94

Reaction score
Unfortunately, some commitments at my (real) job have prevented me from watching the full replay of the game. I value the positive feedback that these write-ups have received this season, so my apologies for having to do a less ambitious game review this week. I will eventually post some observations from the replay - including a look at the obvious OL breakdowns - but that may have to wait until next weekend.

SIMILARITIES TO THE FSU GAME

There were lots of remarkably similar stats between the Notre Dame game and the Florida State game. Wake had more first downs in both (23-15 against Notre Dame, 27-14 against FSU), more total yards (340-282 against ND, 357-329 against FSU) and more time of possession (35:48-24:12 against ND, 35:56-24:04 against FSU). In both games, Wake’s explosive plays were one 20+ yard reception apiece by KJ Brent and Cortez Lewis (Wake also added a 23 yard run by Hinton in the Notre Dame game).

In both games, Wake’s defense held the opposing offense to drives of 20 yards or less 4 times (4 of 8 possessions against ND, 4 of 9 possessions against FSU). However, Wake’s defense was unable to create a turnover in either game.

In both games, part of Wake’s undoing was a long touchdown run (98 yards by ND’s Josh Adams and 94 yards by FSU’s Dalvin Cook) where the RB came through the DL untouched and then evaded tackle attempts from Brad Watson and a safety (Dancel in the FSU game, Janvion in the ND game).

RUSHING OFFENSE

I think that Tyler Bell was the top performer for Wake’s offense. He had 112 total yards from scrimmage (90 rushing and 22 receiving). He gained 3 or more yards on 14 of his 23 rushing attempts (61%). I think that is the second highest percentage for the Bell/Colburn duo against an FBS opponent this season (FSU remains the season’s best using this metric). More impressive though was the fact that NINE of Bell’s runs went for 5 or more yards, including a 12-yard run and three seperate 9-yard runs.

Matt Colburn didn’t record a single carry in the game.

MISSED RED ZONE OPPORTUNITIES

Obviously it has already been well documented that most of Wake’s offensive production was squandered by failing to score on 3 of 4 trips inside the red zone.

Wake’s most impressive drive of the day was a 12 play, 74 yard drive in the first half that included Hinton’s 23 yard run, a pass interference penalty on Notre Dame, a 15 yard rush from Wolford and a 13 yard reception by Tyler Bell. However, the drive ended when Tyler Bell was stuffed at the goal line on fourth down.

Wake’s best field position of the day was wasted in the second quarter when Mike Weaver missed a 51 yard field goal attempt following a personal foul penalty against Cortez Lewis.

In the fourth quarter, a drive that featured a 52-yard completion to KJ Brent and a 15-yard completion to Chuck Wade got as far as the 1 yard line before a sack/fumble by Wolford pushed Wake back 8 yards. The drive would ultimately end on a failed 4th down conversion attempt.

OTHER NOTES

It looked to me like Cortez Lewis was benched after the personal foul penalty. Maybe he was injured. Whatever the reason, it took one of Wake’s best weapons off the field. Lewis was replaced by Jonathon Williams, who failed to record a reception. Remarkably, Williams has only 8 receptions dating back to the beginning of last season, despite over 250 snaps from scrimmage (plus whatever snaps he had in the ND game).

Ryan Anderson started the game at right tackle and I think played the majority of the snaps. Phil Haynes did see some action though. I’ll post the PT split when that info is made available mid-week.

The defense’s best stat was TEN total tackles for loss, including 3 sacks. The defensive line had 6 solo tackles, 5 tackles for loss and 2 QB hurries. Duke Ejiofor led the way with 4 solo tackles, 2.5 tackles for loss (including one sack) and 1 QB hurry. Tylor Harris (1 sack) and Zeek Rodney (1 solo, 0.5 tackles for loss and 1 QB hurry) also contributed from the D-line.

One of the things I am most interested to see when I watch the replay is how Dionte Austin fared. I don’t recall a pass being completed on him before the middle of the second half. Austin wasn’t credited with any pass breakups in the game, but he sure doesn’t seem like he’s a liability out there. All in all it’s a good thing that we don’t hear his name called very often.

The redshirt freshmen don’t travel to many games, but there appears to be a lot of thought that goes into who travels to which games. It was cool to see that Indiana-native Jessie Bates was allowed to make the trip to Notre Dame and dress out for the game. I’m sure it was a thrill for him.

Cortez should have been benched for the game and I have no problem with that. What he did was not only dumb and hurt the team, but it was exceptionally dangerous (ripping the helmet off a defender). Obviously you couple that with what he did at Syracuse and you wonder if he's getting it. Helluva player on the field, but has to realize that what he is doing is really hurting the rest of the other guys out there.

It will be interesting to see how the media treats ND and Clemson's performances against us when it comes down to the playoff. We're the common opponent a week apart at home.

Those statistics are pretty remarkable 94. I would think more time of possession, number of first downs, and total yards doesn't usually equate to a three touchdown loss.

At #4 followed by at #1 has to be our toughest two game stretch ever.

Lewis needs to get his head out of his ass and eliminate knothead personal fouls. I would have hoped he had gotten the message after Syracuse.

Anyone else heading down to Clemson this weekend? My group is looking for two tickets if anyone is looking to part with any extras.

Lewis needs to get his head out of his ass and eliminate knothead personal fouls. I would have hoped he had gotten the message after Syracuse.

He really does, he's a very important piece for us on offense and should be for 3 more years, you can't do stupid things to hurt your team and get yourself taken off the field.

Would be interested to get snap totals when you see them, but thought Anderson played a lot more than Haynes at the Tackle position.

Clemson will be a much different game, I fear. Their speed and offensive diversity will create problems comparable to UNC. And, they may have the best D-line we have faced. Dabo won't hesitate to run up the score if he can.

Clemson will be a much different game, I fear. Their speed and offensive diversity will create problems comparable to UNC. And, they may have the best D-line we have faced. Dabo won't hesitate to run up the score if he can.

Yeah, I'm expect that myself. I think Clemson is more explosive then Notre Dame and whoever is at QB for us will be under extreme pressure from their defense. Clemson is on a mission and we're just the next in their way. Honestly I just hope to get through Saturday without injuries and then let Clawson rally the troops to beat Duke.

Would be interested to get snap totals when you see them, but thought Anderson played a lot more than Haynes at the Tackle position.

Attended the game. Haynes played extensively in the 3rd Q....so much so that we guessed Anderson had gotten injured-he returned. Neither kid looked bad.

CLAWSON PRESS CONFERENCE (plus some snap count info)

Clawson confirmed that he benched Cortez Lewis for the personal foul penalty. Lewis didn’t play a single snap in the second half against Notre Dame. The staff is still evaluating whether he will start against Clemson. He said they are torn about whether the rest of team is hurt more by him being on or off the field.

He had a lot of praise for Dionte Austin, especially the intensity level that he plays with. They are very eager for him to add more strength/weight this offseason.

Ryan Anderson has moved to the top of the depth chart at right tackle. Ryan Anderson played 46 snaps against Notre Dame and Phil Haynes played 32 snaps.

Clawson said that Wolford played really well “minus a couple of disaster plays”.

Somehow I missed that Chris Stewart has been moved inside to DT. Stewart is listed as the starter, ahead of both Tylor Harris and Willie Yarbary. I couldn’t really tell from Clawson’s comments whether this was a temporary move necessitated by Josh Banks suspension or a permanent move. It sounds like maybe it is permanent. Stewart came into the program at 250 and has done well adding in the strength and conditioning program (now a solid 280).

With Josh Banks suspended, the snap count at NT/DT was: Zeek Rodney 30, Tylor Harris 29, Chris Stewart 22, Shelldon Lewinson 20, and Willie Yarbary 14. With Stewart moving inside, the staff has Duke Ejiofor (48 snaps) and Wendell Dunn (40 snaps) not getting many breathers at the two DE positions. Chris Calhoun chipped in 17 snaps in relief. Rashawn Shaw didn’t see the field for fifth consecutive game.

OTHER STATS

I had a long, boring flight yesterday so I researched a couple of stats that I was interested in:

Over the last seven games, we have returned 17 kickoffs. 14 of those returns (83%) have failed to reach the 25 yard line. 16 of those returns (94%) haven’t made it past the 26 yard line. The lone exception was a Chuck Wade return against NCSU that got the ball close to midfield.

To put Tyler Bell’s 90-yard performance on Saturday in some context, no individual RB had run for more than 71 yards in a game in the past two seasons. Bell’s total was more rushing yards than the entire team managed in any single game against a P5 opponent last season (with the exception of Army).

Clawson confirmed that he benched Cortez Lewis for the personal foul penalty. Lewis didn’t play a single snap in the second half against Notre Dame. The staff is still evaluating whether he will start against Clemson. He said they are torn about whether the rest of team is hurt more by him being on or off the field.

He had a lot of praise for Dionte Austin, especially the intensity level that he plays with. They are very eager for him to add more strength/weight this offseason.

Ryan Anderson has moved to the top of the depth chart at right tackle. Ryan Anderson played 46 snaps against Notre Dame and Phil Haynes played 32 snaps.

Clawson said that Wolford played really well “minus a couple of disaster plays”.

Somehow I missed that Chris Stewart has been moved inside to DT. Stewart is listed as the starter, ahead of both Tylor Harris and Willie Yarbary. I couldn’t really tell from Clawson’s comments whether this was a temporary move necessitated by Josh Banks suspension or a permanent move. It sounds like maybe it is permanent. Stewart came into the program at 250 and has done well adding in the strength and conditioning program (now a solid 280).

With Josh Banks suspended, the snap count at NT/DT was: Zeek Rodney 30, Tylor Harris 29, Chris Stewart 22, Shelldon Lewinson 20, and Willie Yarbary 14. With Stewart moving inside, the staff has Duke Ejiofor (48 snaps) and Wendell Dunn (40 snaps) not getting many breathers at the two DE positions. Chris Calhoun chipped in 17 snaps in relief. Rashawn Shaw didn’t see the field for fifth consecutive game.

OTHER STATS

I had a long, boring flight yesterday so I researched a couple of stats that I was interested in:

Over the last seven games, we have returned 17 kickoffs. 14 of those returns (83%) have failed to reach the 25 yard line. 16 of those returns (94%) haven’t made it past the 26 yard line. The lone exception was a Chuck Wade return against NCSU that got the ball close to midfield.

To put Tyler Bell’s 90-yard performance on Saturday in some context, no individual RB had run for more than 71 yards in a game in the past two seasons. Bell’s total was more rushing yards than the entire team managed in any single game against a P5 opponent last season (with the exception of Army).

I can't imagine that Stewart is a better DT right now than Harris, so hopefully him being ahead of him on the depth chart doesn't mean much. I like Stewart, I've been impressed with him all year, but I hope Harris gets the majority of snaps these last 2 games of his college career. It also be nice to have a big DE that doesn't have to be moved to DT because of necesscessity, but seems to be what usually happens.

I agree. My impression is that Harris must be in the doghouse because he is clearly the best DL we have right now physically and I thought he was in the backfield a bunch when in the game. Not sure why he isn't starting.

Pretty candid comments.

I agree. My impression is that Harris must be in the doghouse because he is clearly the best DL we have right now physically and I thought he was in the backfield a bunch when in the game. Not sure why he isn't starting.

Yeah I think either that or Clawson is favoring younger guys for experience purposes except where it's 100 percent clear an older player is better, like Chubb and Williams. I've wondered all year why Harris hasn't been on the field more, I know he had a lingering foot problem early in the year, but still.

Note that while Chris Stewart started against ND, Tylor Harris saw more snaps. Our DTs have been rotated liberally all season.

Back