• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Decent weekend for the Deacs?

liveanddiedeac

Reaction score
Came away from this weekend pretty happy. The football team played Notre Dame very competitively I thought. It was frustrating as crap with the missed opportunities inside the 1 yard line and the couple of big mistakes, but in a lot of ways we outplayed them. It certainly wasn't a situation where ND turned the ball over 4 times and we were lucky to only lose 28-7. I'm as tired as anybody else of celebrating good efforts, but I think this team has improved a lot over last year, hopefully starting next season we'll start getting wins to show for it.

The basketball team's performance raised a lot of concerns Friday night and through one half Sunday, but that 2nd half performance against Bucknell was very good. All 3 freshman look like good players with upside and getting CMM and Hudson back, should make a big difference. You hate to get too excited over a win against Bucknell, but a win on the road in a tough place to play over a pretty solid team, is a pretty big deal for this team early in the season. The schedule is very tough, so much like football the improvement may have to be measured in not only wins, which is frustrating but it is what it is.

I think at least we can feel hopeful about things to come with both sports.

Came away from this weekend pretty happy. The football team played Notre Dame very competitively I thought. It was frustrating as crap with the missed opportunities inside the 1 yard line and the couple of big mistakes, but in a lot of ways we outplayed them. It certainly wasn't a situation where ND turned the ball over 4 times and we were lucky to only lose 28-7. I'm as tired as anybody else of celebrating good efforts, but I think this team has improved a lot over last year, hopefully starting next season we'll start getting wins to show for it.

The basketball team's performance raised a lot of concerns Friday night and through one half Sunday, but that 2nd half performance against Bucknell was very good. All 3 freshman look like good players with upside and getting CMM and Hudson back, should make a big difference. You hate to get too excited over a win against Bucknell, but a win on the road in a tough place to play over a pretty solid team, is a pretty big deal for this team early in the season. The schedule is very tough, so much like football the improvement may have to be measured in not only wins, which is frustrating but it is what it is.

I think at least we can feel hopeful about things to come with both sports.

In, because Creamy is always IN!

Historical competitiveness

"Couldn't be happier"
ron-wellman-tourney-selection-chair.jpg

Speaking of dumbass, I mean Wellman. I was on the way home Saturday about 2:30 and I turn on the pregame for the football game and Stan is interviewing dumbass and he's going on and on about the similarities between the institutions, blah, blah, blah and I about wrecked. Similarities, Notre Dame likes to win, is committed to winning and wouldn't put up for one second the crap we've had to put up with Wellman. What a freaking joke!

Last edited:
We were down 21-0 to a team resting 3 starters who could have played early in the 2nd quarter. Can't consider that progress. May be in the minority but ND just put it on cruise control after that.

Our football team ran for over 100 yards in a game. That's all I needed to have a good weekend. #loweredexpectations #moralvictoriesforthewin

We were down 21-0 to a team resting 3 starters who could have played early in the 2nd quarter. Can't consider that progress. May be in the minority but ND just put it on cruise control after that.

The problem with that argument is Notre Dame needs style points these last few weeks of the season, no way were they on cruise control. Now, maybe their team wasn't up for this game or whatever, but no way was the strategy to put it on cruise control.

Yeah. Last home game, senior day, push to the playoff. They were playing hard.

Moral victory keeping it close against Notre Dame (three touchdowns) and one good half out of four against UMBC and Bucknell is a good weekend?

Facepalm

They sat their starting RB, NG and TE who all could have played in Kelly's post game. Not saying they shut it down Kelly has never been a run up the score coach and they didn't try to go downfield with Fuller on a true Freshman corner Austin all game. Just got they got the lead and were content to try and get out healthy. The dynamics for them changed post game when Stanford and Temple both lost. Going into this game, they win out and they are in. That all changed afterwards.

They sat their starting RB, NG and TE who all could have played in Kelly's post game. Not saying they shut it down Kelly has never been a run up the score coach and they didn't try to go downfield with Fuller on a true Freshman corner Austin all game. Just got they got the lead and were content to try and get out healthy. The dynamics for them changed post game when Stanford and Temple both lost. Going into this game, they win out and they are in. That all changed afterwards.

Don't think that's true. There were times the ND QB was looking downfield and there wasn't anyone open. It was stated that a big part of our gameplan was to make sure big plays to Fuller didn't beat us. I get what you're saying, but I think except for a handful of plays, we stood up to them very well. Unfortunately, right now we just don't have the talent to overcome a negative handful of key plays going against us. I'm looking forward to mostly this same group of players going back to South Bend in 2 years after they've grown up a little bit and seeing what happens. Could be that ND is even better then as well, but I feel positive we sure will be.

"Couldn't be happier"
ron-wellman-tourney-selection-chair.jpg

Speaking of dumbass, I mean Wellman. I was on the way home Saturday about 2:30 and I turn on the pregame for the football game and Stan is interviewing dumbass and he's going on and on about the similarities between the institutions, blah, blah, blah and I about wrecked. Similarities, Notre Dame likes to win, is committed to winning and wouldn't put up for one second the crap we've had to put up with Wellman. What a freaking joke!

ND is 891–311–42 (.733) all-time, has 11 national football titles, seven Heisman Trophy winners, 97 consensus All-Americans and has a stadium that seats 81,000.
Wake is 432–633–33 (.408) all time, has 0 national football titles, 0 Heisman winners, 3 consensus All-Americans and has a stadium that seats 30,000.

Yeah, pretty identical if you ask me. The man is a fucking joke!

ND is 891–311–42 (.733) all-time, has 11 national football titles, seven Heisman Trophy winners, 97 consensus All-Americans and has a stadium that seats 81,000.
Wake is 432–633–33 (.408) all time, has 0 national football titles, 0 Heisman winners, 3 consensus All-Americans and has a stadium that seats 30,000.

Yeah, pretty identical if you ask me. The man is a fucking joke!

Haha, I'm not sure that football was the institution he was talking about.

Z
Moral victory keeping it close against Notre Dame (three touchdowns) and one good half out of four against UMBC and Bucknell is a good weekend?

Facepalm

Two wins and a competitive game against the number 4 team in the country is in fact a good weekend.

A 3-7 team that outgains the #4 team in the nation at their place can be happy that they played a competitive game. We didn't get manhandled and it could have easily been a much closer game.

Back