• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ray Guy Award Thread

StrickDeac

Reaction score
Kinal named 1 of 10 finalists.

Field to be narrowed to only three on 11/24.

Augusta, GA (November 13, 2015) - The Augusta Sports Council and the Ray Guy Award committee announce the ten semifinalists for the 2015 Ray Guy Award.

The semifinalists were chosen from a field of 79 candidates for the award, which recognizes the most outstanding punter in college football. Returning to the field is 2014 winner Tom Hackett of Utah along with several of the season's Ray Guy Award Players of the Week including Alex Kinal, Riley Dixon, Hayden Hunt and Drew Kaser.

The candidates were evaluated on their overall statistics and contribution to the team. Particular emphasis was placed on the punter’s net average, percentage of total punts inside the 20-yard line and percentage of punts not returned. A national voting body of Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) coaches, sports information directors, national media and former Ray Guy Award winners will decide the three award finalists, who will be announced on November 24. Voters will then cast a second round of ballots to decide the winner.

2015 Ray Guy Award Semifinalists

Michael Carrizosa (So.), San Jose State
Riley Dixon (Sr.), Syracuse
Tom Hackett (Sr.), Utah
Hayden Hunt (Jr.), Colorado State
Cameron Johnston (Jr.), Ohio State
Drew Kaser (Sr.), Texas A&M
Alex Kinal (Sr.), Wake Forest
Nick Porebski (So.), Oregon State
Austin Seibert (Fr.), Oklahoma
Johnny Townsend (So.), Florida

The presentation of the Ray Guy Award will be featured on The Home Depot College Football Awards live on Thursday, December 10 at 7 pm ET on ESPN. The show will feature a live presentation of nine player awards, along the NCFAA (National College Football Awards Association) Contributions to College Football Award, and the Walter Camp Player of the Year Award.

http://www.augustasportscouncil.org/news/football/257.html

holy shit what a terrible state of affairs this is.

How can the guy with the most punts ever not win this award?

Most punts is really more of a team award.

Bad team award. The all-time NCAA record for most punts & total yards is not one you want, but if you are up there, might as well get the damn thing.

I can't believe there's a punter in the country better than him, but if there is, I want to see that guy kick.

Might give it to a guy who just booms his punts. Alex does what will help the team the most

Might give it to a guy who just booms his punts. Alex does what will help the team the most
I would think # of punts pinned inside the 20 and return yards would weigh heavily with voters. Both of which are Kinal's strengths.

No Kinal in finals.

The three guys there have pretty impressive stats though.

Gross of 47, 47, 46. Nets of 43, 43, 41.8. Those three guys rank 1,2,3 in Net punting. and 1, 4, 5 in gross punting

Kinal's Gross 43.6, net of 41.4. Ranks 29 in gross and 6 in Net. However, the least amount of return yards among those 4.

It makes sense. It's a net punting award. He wasn't top 3. But they should look deeper. Kinal has 30 more punts than Hacket at Utah. That's a lot of punting, and to maintain that high of a net avg should be accounted for, and it's not.

What was your net average when you won?

Voters are asked to look at:

Net
% of punts Returned
% of punts I20
% of Fair Catches
Avg Return yards per punt

I don't. I look at:
Gross
Net
I20/TB ratio
% punts FC

I also take into account Weather, Altitude, and amount of punts. A guy kicking in Buffalo gets a boost over one kicking in Southern California or Colorado.

I could care less about return yards. Really bad punts don't have return yards. Really bad coverage teams have tons of return yards, on great punts, etc.

FCs mean hang time. Net means you are helping your team. I20/TB ratio shows me the opportunities you had to pin the ball I20 and what you did with them. I'm sure Oregon punts a lot more around the 50 than Wake, for example.

Back