• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dan Collins MTOW on Crawford

wfu22fan

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
Someone else was skeptical about Crawford's shooting until the second half of the Bucknell game .

Well into [Name Redacted]'s last season, Dan was still postulating that it was possible he was the man for the job, and his very first reaction upon hearing that [Name Redacted] had been fired was to chastise the fans for how we treated [Name Redacted].

Obviously, Country Dan is someone who's opinion should be unquestioned when it comes to a WFU sports #hottake.

Dan has certainly vocalized some unpopular opinions over the years. He's been wrong and he's been right, when predicting player and team success. Manning, the players, and the administration all are looking to generate excitement around the dull and generally apathetic fan base that we've become. If Dan Collins writing hype columns about guys who have played 2 regular season games in the B&G generates a buzz, he's doing his job. Here's to hoping he's right about Crawford!

Well into [Name Redacted]'s last season, Dan was still postulating that it was possible he was the man for the job, and his very first reaction upon hearing that [Name Redacted] had been fired was to chastise the fans for how we treated [Name Redacted].

Obviously, Country Dan is someone who's opinion should be unquestioned when it comes to a WFU sports #hottake.

In fairness, Dan had to at least make people think he was somewhat on the Bzzz train to keep access to the program. If he'd have written what he probably truly thought, Wellman would've gotten a restaining order on him.

In fairness, Dan had to at least make people think he was somewhat on the Bzzz train to keep access to the program. If he'd have written what he probably truly thought, Wellman would've gotten a restaining order on him.

This is true. Weren't there rumors of the AD threatening to pull the OGB's or BSD's press credentials for publishing stuff that was too critical of the direction of the revenue sports?

towards the end dan was all but saying [Redacted] was not the person for the job. he certainly gave [Redacted] and ronnie a very long rope that they used to hang themselves. scratch that. ronnie allowed [Redacted] to hang himself. ronnie let him take the blame and then petulantly blamed the fans.

This is true. Weren't there rumors of the AD threatening to pull the OGB's or BSD's press credentials for publishing stuff that was too critical of the direction of the revenue sports?

Not really rumors. BSD lost credentials for reasons somewhat close to this.

I don't remember this to be the case at all. Dan was clearly #BuzzOut starting near the middle of the season.

IIRC Dan was the one grilling Wellman at the press conference when he was announcing Bzz "resigning"

We lost credentials for that reason. Well we were told that certain members could not cover it if they continued to express their opinions on the matter publicly.

you'll need to substantiate this....doesn't sound accurate at all to me

Dan chastised the fans but not after Bz resigned.

If Dan Collins writing hype columns about guys who have played 2 regular season games in the B&G generates a buzz, he's doing his job. Here's to hoping he's right about Crawford!

Hear, hear! While Dan may have flirted strongly with some ambitious hyperbole, BC certainly seems to have the physical and athletic gifts one would want in a big guard and his court vision is very, very good. As he gains experience and more confidence, the sky may very well be the limit for Bryant. Obviously he will need to continue to work on his shooting (who doesn't really?) and hopefully become a bit less streaky as I think that was one of the scouting knocks on him. I loved his game judging from the mixtapes and video highlights and can't wait to see he and Childress working together next year interchangeably at guard.

you'll need to substantiate this....doesn't sound accurate at all to me

Dan chastised the fans but not after Bz resigned.

Literally the first thing he wrote after the Bz annoucement:

Far be it from me, Country Dan Collins of Franklin, N.C. and frequenter of any honky tonk and/or dive that will allow me to strum and caterwaul my down-home mountain music, to be the arbiter of propriety and decorum. I couldn't get away with it if I tried. Too many people know me all too well.

But seeings how this blog is called My Take on Wake, I feel compelled to give my take on the reaction to yesterday's news that Jeff [Redacted] has resigned.

The way I see it is that Wake is a community, and like any community, it has individuals big and small. Let me hasten to add, I'm not talking about physical stature.

The big individuals among us are the ones who, no matter how vehemently opposed they were to [Redacted] being their basketball coach these past four years, recognize that he tried to get the job done and simply failed. They also recognize that a man has just lost his job, as have, in all probability, all those staff members who have worked so closely with him. In the latter instance, we're talking about people like Randolph Childress andRusty LaRue, two of the university's favorite sons during their heralded, even legendary careers. We're also talking about a warm and decent man in Jeff Battle who has given his heart and soul to the school these past 13 seasons as the assistant to three different head coaches. And lest we forget, we're also talking about their families, whose lives are completely up in the air as we speak.

The small individuals among us are the ones who, even after having their wishes granted, insist on riding all those they opposed these past four years out of town on the proverbial rail. Their hatefulness and spite is so great, so all-consuming that they can't give it up even when the deal has gone down in their favor. They kick those who are down, and kick them as hard as they can as repeatedly as they can. They gloat, they taunt, they go roll the quad to celebrate another's demise.

The big individuals among us recognize that Ron Wellman, as the director of athletics who has done so much good for Wake, showed, in this instance, his fallibility by making a decision that backfired. Did that backfire hurt the basketball program? It sure looks that way. And has Wellman come clean by publicity acknowledging his mistake? Well I gave him a chance to yesterday and in that setting at that time, he pretty much declined. He's a proud man, and he's also hurting after accepting the resignation of a man for whom he has great respect and admiration. And in his most private moments, I have to think Wellman recognizes his own responsibility for putting a friend in a position that he wasn't right for. But like I said, Ron Wellman is a proud man and I don't know if he will ever admit to that. That's OK. He doesn't have to on my account.

The small individuals among us aren't giving anybody anything. Having rid Wake of [Redacted], they've set their sights on Wellman. Unless Wellman does exactly what they insist he do, in a time, manner and fashion they want it done then he's got to go as well. WellmanOut. Burn down the school until he's gone. Their bile is bottomless, insatiable. And even if Wellman does what they want, in a time, manner and fashion they want it done, that will be good enough only until the next move he makes doesn't suit their fancy.

I confess to spending way too much time on the internet reading sports and politics, and the comments that accompany the commentary. It's stunning to me just how vitriolic, how in-your-face our society has become -- or perhaps has always been. It's not enough to win the argument. The goal seems to be to destroy those with whom you disagree, to put them in their place, to prove your intellectual and moral superiority for all to see.

Personally I've never had a problem with a strong, healthy disagreement of opinion. Without it, how dull would our world be? And if you don't see it the way I see it, that's fine with me. In the words of Briscoe Darling of theAndy Griffith Show, more power to you. You've got a brain, you're free to use it.

But in the end, as I said, Wake is a community. And for any community to heal, to move on, it has to at some point get over the divisiveness and bloodletting, the need for it to be my way or the highway. Because the best thing anyone can say about a community, any community, is that we're all in it together.

Recently there was a flap about the book being taught in in the mountains, up in Watauga County. I followed the news stories carefully because the book in question, House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende was one of the most important books of my life. It was important because it taught me a big-time lesson.

The main character, Alba, has all these unspeakable acts committed on her person and her soul. But in the end, she decides to forgive all those who have made her life a living hell. Only through forgiveness, she realized, could she break the cycle of violence and hate.

Even if you were convinced that Jeff [Redacted] had absolutely no business ever being the head basketball coach at Wake, and even if in Ron Wellman you see an arrogance and hubris that rankles you to the bone, do this one thing for me. Try, at least try, to forgive them.

My bet is you'll feel better. And I know Wake will be a better community.

OK. You were right. Dan Collins showed he is indeed a small individual.

Back