• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Manning's lineups and subs

TownieDeac

words are futile devices
Reaction score
Just awful so far this season. Questionable at times last season too.

He really needs to work on this. We missed FTs and didn't defend the 3, but Coach didn't do what it took tonight to put his team in position to win.

Indefensible really.

McClinton was playing really solid, 12 points in not too many minutes. But nah, that 3 guard lineup with Trent Van Horn, doe.

It really is indefensible. I refuse to believe Manning thinks some of those line-up give the team the best chance to win, but have no idea of his motivations with his subs, especially in the 1st half of games.

Don't understand Van Horn playing so much.

Yes, no reason to play van horn over McClinton who seemed to be playing well. Really bizarre substitution pattern.

Some of the worst substitution patterns I have seen out of a coach at any level that doesn't require you to play a kid X minutes (i.e. Y ball).

Danny is not very good with substitutions. He was really bad last year.

The Collins minutes etc. are obvious. But it really bothered me that he sat Mitch most of the first half with two fouls given our roster with 2 scholarship guards (3 if you count McClinton). Mitch is almost never fouling out even if he plays his normal minutes. It was a failed basic IQ test for me.

The Collins minutes etc. are obvious. But it really bothered me that he sat Mitch most of the first half with two fouls given our roster with 2 scholarship guards (3 if you count McClinton). Mitch is almost never fouling out even if he plays his normal minutes. It was a failed basic IQ test for me.

I've always hated the "I'd rather have him later then now" line.

Well there isn't going to be a later if you play a walk-on for 28 minutes against a team that thrives on back door cuts and quick offense.

He and Dinos are really really bad on defense.

He seems to have an irrational hate of short rotations and this coaching flaw is exacerbated with the current state of the team.

Wait we played tonight? I was too busy putting hot sauce on my nuts to watch.

He seems to have an irrational hate of short rotations and this coaching flaw is exacerbated with the current state of the team.
Yes, this seems to be a problem. Even when we're at full strength, he like his deep rotations and doesn't maximize his best players' minutes.

Just awful so far this season. Questionable at times last season too.

He really needs to work on this. We missed FTs and didn't defend the 3, but Coach didn't do what it took tonight to put his team in position to win.

Indefensible really.

Agree 100%. Everybody in my area was screaming for 43 ( Van Horne) to come out and Mclinton to go back in. Never happened. Collins sits way too much too.

A bigger question. Who, in their right mind, is boarding a plane to Hawaii to watch more of this?

The only thing that makes any sense with the lineups is that Van Horn is getting Hudson's minutes and O'Brien is getting Rondale's spot minutes. I guess that would keep the lineups and minutes more consistent when they come back.

It certainly doesn't seem like Manning values these early games much. It's also not like he sticks to predictable rotations either so I don't really see the value. Maybe it's a reward for the walkons and a punishment for the rule breakers to make a point...

Whatever the case, even with the lineups it was Dinos playing like an idiot that lost the game down the stretch, combined with terrible defense and, to be fair, some clutch shooting by Richmond. They're a pretty solid team and this isn't some travesty of a loss. Another 21 points from Crawford and 5 players in double digits. 34 minutes, 0 points, and 4 fouls from the VanHorn/O'Brien combo may be tough to make sense out of now, but that's a lot of minutes that will go to productive players in the near future.

Back