• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Bill Walton: Love him or hate him?

Love or Hate Walton

• Total voters

Ball State Deac

Reaction score
I get why people don't like him, but I love hearing him call a game. Is he off the walls sometimes (well a lot of the time)? Yes. But still really enjoy his story telling style of color.

I don't dislike him, just the way he talks gets on my nerves sometimes.

I haven't laughed as hard as I did during the game last night listening to him. Hysterical. Is he doing our game tonight versus Vandy?

He says such basic stuff about what the team needs to do that you wonder if he is that brain dead or does he really know something you don't

I think he's a hilarious dude that I enjoy listening to for short stretches. He's painful to listen to for an entire game. Completely bonkers and brain fried.

Whenever I'm flipping through channels and he's calling a PAC12 game, I'll always watch for a few minutes solely because of him. Pure comedy. Tough to listen to him calling a Wake game, but most of the national commentators don't know anything about Wake either. Hopefully he gives us a little more respect tonight!

He is a harmless fool.

At one point during the first half this was his uninterrupted:

"Wake Forest is in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. It used to be a tobacco town, but the economy changed a lot. Now it is much more about banking and textiles. Michael Jordan's Hanes company is there and Wells Fargo bought Wachovia. I love Maui."

I'm not making that up. That actually happened and I couldn't stop laughing.

He is a harmless fool.

At one point during the first half this was his uninterrupted:

"Wake Forest is in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. It used to be a tobacco town, but the economy changed a lot. Now it is much more about banking and textiles. Michael Jordan's Hanes company is there and Wells Fargo bought Wachovia. I love Maui."

I'm not making that up. That actually happened and I couldn't stop laughing.

Yup. The "I love Maui" non-sequitur was great.

He acted as though the VanHorn flagrant was the dirtiest play he had ever seen, GTFO

He is harmless, but he makes the broadcast unbearable at times when he begins opining on basketball strategy. He doesn't know enough about the teams he is watching to make intelligent discussion about the coaching decisions so he takes his coaching 101 philosophy and blankets every move with exaggerations. Not recognizing why Manning was calling the time outs at the end of last night's game was the perfect example of why he is an annoying broadcaster. Anyone who knows our team knows that Dinos needs to be in the game for that offensive set, and definitely KNOWS that he must be out of the game for the defensive set.

He also criticized Manning for not putting someone on the inbounding passer at the end of the game. However, DT who was playing safety instead of guarding the inbounding passer is the one who intercepted the pass. I can see both strategies working. Still hilarious.

When he's right, he's right, and when he's wrong/incoherent, it's wildly entertaining. I'll take it. I'll especially take it over someone like Bobby Knight not preparing at all and not referring to any of our players by name. He legitimately enjoys the teams he's watching.

he's the best

no announcers actually teach you anything about basketball, so he makes games entertaining to watch.

I think he's a hilarious dude that I enjoy listening to for short stretches. He's painful to listen to for an entire game. Completely bonkers and brain fried.

This. I muted him for 5 minute stretches here and there, last night.

He is good for a game once in awhile. You can tell he only cares about the NBA. That's all he talks about

He does zero preparation. Which is fine, I guess, considering he focuses on the Pac10 most of the time. It's just annoying that he has strong opinions on things he knows nothing about.

Agree that he is enjoyable doing non-Wake Forest games... He just makes WAY too many statements that are factually incorrect for me to enjoy him covering Wake Forest.

Back