• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clemson Game Review / Duke Game Week Thread

Deac94

Reaction score
OVERALL

Wake forced four turnovers and was generally effective at stopping Clemson’s running game, but that wasn’t nearly enough to overcome a 552-152 deficit in total yards.

Clemson’s 4 longest plays from scrimmage totaled 189 yards. Wake’s total offense for the entire game was 152 yards.

Wake Forest managed just two drives longer than 16 yards. Wake had three plays of 20 yards or longer: Hinton to Lewis for 30 yards, Wolford to Brent for 20 yards, and a Hinton run of 20 yards. The other 57 plays from scrimmage netted just 82 yards (a 1.4 yard per play average).

CLEMSON’S 4 LONGEST PLAYS

1Q – DeShaun Watson (5-star in 2014 class, Rivals #1 dual-threat QB in the country) to Germone Hopper (4-star in 2012 class, Rivals #11 WR in the country) for 63 yards. Hopper was left completely uncovered after confusion in the secondary between Brad Watson and Cameron Glenn. I’m not sure whose fault it was.

2Q - Watson to Hopper for a 47 yard touchdown. Hopper beat Dionte Austin and Watson delivered a pinpoint accurate pass. Wake sent a 5-man blitz that didn’t get close to Watson. The ESPN2 announcers criticized Austin for not getting some contact on Hopper to disrupt his route. I don’t know whether that criticism is valid or not. The staff has Austin playing with a big cushion, so is he expected to make contact with the receiver (honest question)?

1Q – Watson to Charone Peake (4-star in the 2011 class, Rivals #11 WR in the country) for a 44 yard touchdown. Peake beat Brad Watson and the pass was right on the money. Not much else to add.

1Q – Double pass play ended with a 35 yard reception by Hunter Renfroe. Clemson got Dionte Austin to bite on the play.

WOLFORD

60% completion percentage. Longest completion was 20 yards. Yards per reception was just 8 yards. I thought his accuracy was very good on some shorter throws, but he also continues to be prone to missing high on other throws. I was surprised that the ESPN2 announcers were repeatedly praising his arm strength. That’s not something I have ever given him credit for.

A post-game quote from Clawson on Wolford: “John is our most knowledgeable quarterback. He understands our offense the best and he is our most accurate passer.”

RUNNING BACKS

Bell and Colburn combined for only 22 yards on 14 carries – a stat line that sounds befitting of last year’s team. They would gain 3 yards or more on just 36% of their carries. Their longest run was just 5 yards. So not a good day for the running backs.

OFFENSIVE LINE

I’ve watched half of the Notre Dame replay and all of the Clemson replay. The biggest thing that stood out to me? BLITZES. Prior to the Notre Dame game, Wake’s opponents did not blitz often at all. I guess the thinking was that they could get pressure by rushing only four. However, Notre Dame and Clemson rushed 5 often. There were also a lot of 6 man blitzes on third down. Even the occasional seven man blitz (for example, there was one on 3rd down in 1Q of the Clemson game). For stretches in the Clemson game, the results were devastating. Two six man blitzes ended 1Q drives with Wolford sacks. Tabari Hines fumbled on a reverse when Cam Serigne wasn’t quick enough to pick up a blitzing LB that darted into the backfield and disrupted the play. Hinton’s running lanes were often filled with blitzing LBs. Most of the 1Q damage was done by LB Ben Boulware (4-star in the 2013 class, Rivals #8 ILB in the country). While the blitz pickup got marginally better after 1Q, it remained a problem. Wolford getting flushed by a six-man blitz in 2Q and Bell getting dropped by a blitzing LB for a TFL in 4Q were just two examples.

I generally try and focus on the positives with the pass protection, but I honestly don’t think that we are as far away from significant improvement as people might think. There are two problems that need to be addressed. First, right tackle continues to be an acute problem (although it has improved with Ryan Anderson). On Saturday, both Anderson and Phil Haynes were beaten repeatedly by Kevin Dodd (3-star in the 2011 class). Then there are the problems with blitz pickup, which is an area that extends beyond the O-lineman to players like Tyler Bell and Cam Serigne. Serigne is asked to do little and does not look that effective when asked to contribute. I give Tyler Bell high marks for blitz recognition and willingness to get his nose dirty, but the end results are very inconsistent. I’m not sure that I would have expected more from a true freshman though.

If Clawson can improve those two areas this offseason, and keep the unit healthy, it will be interesting to see what the pass protection looks like next year. Then there is the run blocking…..

The obvious breakdowns by OLs in the Clemson game:
Ryan Anderson (3) – Beaten twice on 3rd and long plays in 1Q, 2Q false start penalty
Phil Haynes (3) – Beaten by inside rush in 2Q (leading Wolford to throw the ball away), beaten by edge rush in 3Q (Wolford sacked), beaten by outside rush in 4Q (flushed Hinton from the pocket)
Dylan Intemann (2) – Failed to pick up stunting DL twice in 2Q
Justin Herron (1) - Gave up 2Q TFL when beaten cleanly by Shaq Lawson (4-star in the 2012 class)

DEFENSIVE LINE

There were positives and negatives from the DLs performance. On the positive side, they were active in run support with 10 solo tackles, including 3.5 tackles for loss. This is where Wendell Dunn is effective. Willie Yarbary got recognition from the announcers when he had back-to-back run stops. Shelldon Lewinson had three solo tackles. The run support from the DL has really improved over the last few games.

On the negative side, they failed to record a single QB sack or QB hurry. Duke Ejiofor continues to be the only DL than can generate a pass rush with any frequency.

Chris Calhoun flashed his talent twice in the game. The first was a punishing hit on Clemson’s RB that resulted in a tackle for loss, and then the INT that I thought showed his overall athleticism (he might have grabbed the pass one-handed). The true freshman is nowhere near his ceiling. I really hoping he takes a big step forward this offseason.

Tylor Harris had a pass deflection in the fourth quarter. Zeek Rodney got a hit on Watson in 4Q.

CORNERBACKS

Dionte Austin had a tough day but continues to look better than Devin Gaulden. Since Austin took over the starting job it hasn’t looked to me like offenses have challenged him any more than Brad Watson. In fact, they may have thrown at Watson more. Watson had a long day as well on Saturday. He gave up the 44 yard TD to Charone Peaks, drew a holding penalty in 3Q, and probably should have been flagged for a PI in 3Q. However, Watson got some redemption in 2Q when he took advantage of great positioning and a ball that was slightly underthrown to convert an INT. There’s no change in my view that Brad Watson is one of the best players on our defense.

OTHER NOTES

Wake was the victim of three missed calls in a short stretch late in the 2nd quarter. There were missed PI calls on KJ Brent and Cam Serigne and then when Clemson took over on offense one of their OLs tore Shelldon Lewinson’s helmet off. Then there was the “throat slash” in the 3rd quarter (oh my).

Jaboree Williams showed up a few times making impact plays despite limited playing time. One of his best performances this year. What an important player he is going to be next year.

Zach Dancel jumped a route in 1Q that should have resulted in a pick-six. Instead, the pass appeared to go through his hands and deflect off his helmet. Demetrius Kemp just missed a punt block on what I think might have been the very next play. He might have overshot the football. Either play could have kept the game closer for a while.

I am eager to get updates on the 4Q injuries to Marquel Lee, Matt Colburn and Ryan Janvion.

Last edited:
Interesting comments on Serigne and pass protection. How effective is he blocking in the run game? He had one catch, I think, v Clemson, and it seems his catches have been decreasing late in the year. Maybe we are not targeting him as much with the improved WR play, but he appears to have become almost a non-factor.

Marquel I believe is questionable this week but Janvion should play against Duke

I thought the pass coverage was pretty good on both of the long TD passes in the first half. They were just perfect throws to very good WRs.

I thought the pass coverage was pretty good on both of the long TD passes in the first half. They were just perfect throws to very good WRs.

I agree with this. I should have made the same observation in the OP.

Adding Gilliam and Haney into the mix on the OL next year is going to be big. Even if they don't "start."

We need to find another S that can play. Going into next year we'll have 2 SRs and 2 SOs in Janvion, Brown, Kemp, and Glenn.

Adding Gilliam and Haney into the mix on the OL next year is going to be big. Even if they don't "start."

We need to find another S that can play. Going into next year we'll have 2 SRs and 2 SOs in Janvion, Brown, Kemp, and Glenn.

I don't really count Kemp as a safety anymore. I agree that we need greatly improved play from the safeties. Starters will probably be Janvion (SR) and Glenn (SO). Backups should be Thomas Brown (SR) and either Jessie Bates (rFR) or Traveon Redd (FR).

ETA: Josh Okonye could be a factor as well.

Last edited:
Interesting comments on Serigne and pass protection. How effective is he blocking in the run game? He had one catch, I think, v Clemson, and it seems his catches have been decreasing late in the year. Maybe we are not targeting him as much with the improved WR play, but he appears to have become almost a non-factor.

I don't focus much on run blocking. I don't trust myself to evaluate it.

I am surprised that there hasn't been more focus on the fact that our play calling is limited somewhat by our lack of a versatile tight end. I'm speculating that Brandon Chapman might be pressed into service early in his career for his blocking ability.

Not that it would've changed the result, the reffs totally f-d up at the end of the 2nd quarter. WF was driving and was closing in on field goal range when the reffs missed the blantant PIs and defensive holding calls. On the third down play, Serigne had the LB beat, and so the LB literally tackled Cam; was as obvious of a defensive holding call as you will ever see. Not only did the reffs miss the call, which was unbelievable because Wolford was trying to throw to Cam, the reffs ended up calling intentional grounding on that play as they claimed that Wolford's throw failed to get to the LOS. That call was as bad as it gets.

Or, it appeared to be as bad as it gets until the next possession when Clemson had the ball at the end of the half. The Clemson OL rips Lewinson's helmet off, which should've resulted in a 15 yard penalty on Clemson, and instead, the reffs called a 15 yard penalty on Lewinson for continuing to play without his helmet (30 yard change in field position that allowed Clemson to kick a FG to end the half). WTF? Realize the ACC has a lot invested in Clemson getting to the CFB Playoff, but the string of horrible calls at the end of the 1st half verged on the comical.

Wouldn't have minded it at all if Clawson had lost it with the officials at the end of the 1st half with those calls/no calls- and actually surprised that he didn't based upon past experience. :confused:

I don't know that I've seen a worse call than the throat slash. Just comical.

OVERALL

Wake forced four turnovers and was generally effective at stopping Clemson’s running game, but that wasn’t nearly enough to overcome a 552-152 deficit in total yards.

Clemson’s 4 longest plays from scrimmage totaled 189 yards. Wake’s total offense for the entire game was 152 yards.

Wake Forest managed just two drives longer than 16 yards. Wake had three plays of 20 yards or longer: Hinton to Lewis for 30 yards, Wolford to Brent for 20 yards, and a Hinton run of 20 yards. The other 57 plays from scrimmage netted just 82 yards (a 1.4 yard per play average).

CLEMSON’S 4 LONGEST PLAYS

1Q – DeShaun Watson (5-star in 2014 class, Rivals #1 dual-threat QB in the country) to Germone Hopper (4-star in 2012 class, Rivals #11 WR in the country) for 63 yards. Hopper was left completely uncovered after confusion in the secondary between Brad Watson and Cameron Glenn. I’m not sure whose fault it was.

2Q - Watson to Hopper for a 47 yard touchdown. Hopper beat Dionte Austin and Watson delivered a pinpoint accurate pass. Wake sent a 5-man blitz that didn’t get close to Watson. The ESPN2 announcers criticized Austin for not getting some contact on Hopper to disrupt his route. I don’t know whether that criticism is valid or not. The staff has Austin playing with a big cushion, so is he expected to make contact with the receiver (honest question)?

1Q – Watson to Charone Peake (4-star in the 2011 class, Rivals #11 WR in the country) for a 44 yard touchdown. Peake beat Brad Watson and the pass was right on the money. Not much else to add.

1Q – Double pass play ended with a 35 yard reception by Hunter Renfroe. Clemson got Dionte Austin to bite on the play.

WOLFORD

60% completion percentage. Longest completion was 20 yards. Yards per reception was just 8 yards. I thought his accuracy was very good on some shorter throws, but he also continues to be prone to missing high on other throws. I was surprised that the ESPN2 announcers were repeatedly praising his arm strength. That’s not something I have ever given him credit for.

A post-game quote from Clawson on Wolford: “John is our most knowledgeable quarterback. He understands our offense the best and he is our most accurate passer.”

RUNNING BACKS

Bell and Colburn combined for only 22 yards on 14 carries – a stat line that sounds befitting of last year’s team. They would gain 3 yards or more on just 36% of their carries. Their longest run was just 5 yards. So not a good day for the running backs.

OFFENSIVE LINE

I’ve watched half of the Notre Dame replay and all of the Clemson replay. The biggest thing that stood out to me? BLITZES. Prior to the Notre Dame game, Wake’s opponents did not blitz often at all. I guess the thinking was that they could get pressure by rushing only four. However, Notre Dame and Clemson rushed 5 often. There were also a lot of 6 man blitzes on third down. Even the occasional seven man blitz (for example, there was one on 3rd down in 1Q of the Clemson game). For stretches in the Clemson game, the results were devastating. Two six man blitzes ended 1Q drives with Wolford sacks. Tabari Hines fumbled on a reverse when Cam Serigne wasn’t quick enough to pick up a blitzing LB that darted into the backfield and disrupted the play. Hinton’s running lanes were often filled with blitzing LBs. Most of the 1Q damage was done by LB Ben Boulware (4-star in the 2013 class, Rivals #8 ILB in the country). While the blitz pickup got marginally better after 1Q, it remained a problem. Wolford getting flushed by a six-man blitz in 2Q and Bell getting dropped by a blitzing LB for a TFL in 4Q were just two examples.

I generally try and focus on the positives with the pass protection, but I honestly don’t think that we are as far away from significant improvement as people might think. There are two problems that need to be addressed. First, right tackle continues to be an acute problem (although it has improved with Ryan Anderson). On Saturday, both Anderson and Phil Haynes were beaten repeatedly by Kevin Dodd (3-star in the 2011 class). Then there are the problems with blitz pickup, which is an area that extends beyond the O-lineman to players like Tyler Bell and Cam Serigne. Serigne is asked to do little and does not look that effective when asked to contribute. I give Tyler Bell high marks for blitz recognition and willingness to get his nose dirty, but the end results are very inconsistent. I’m not sure that I would have expected more from a true freshman though.

If Clawson can improve those two areas this offseason, and keep the unit healthy, it will be interesting to see what the pass protection looks like next year. Then there is the run blocking…..

The obvious breakdowns by OLs in the Clemson game:
Ryan Anderson (3) – Beaten twice on 3rd and long plays in 1Q, 2Q false start penalty
Phil Haynes (3) – Beaten by inside rush in 2Q (leading Wolford to throw the ball away), beaten by edge rush in 3Q (Wolford sacked), beaten by outside rush in 4Q (flushed Hinton from the pocket)
Dylan Intemann (2) – Failed to pick up stunting DL twice in 2Q
Justin Herron (1) - Gave up 2Q TFL when beaten cleanly by Shaq Lawson (4-star in the 2012 class)

DEFENSIVE LINE

There were positives and negatives from the DLs performance. On the positive side, they were active in run support with 10 solo tackles, including 3.5 tackles for loss. This is where Wendell Dunn is effective. Willie Yarbary got recognition from the announcers when he had back-to-back run stops. Shelldon Lewinson had three solo tackles. The run support from the DL has really improved over the last few games.

On the negative side, they failed to record a single QB sack or QB hurry. Duke Ejiofor continues to be the only DL than can generate a pass rush with any frequency.

Chris Calhoun flashed his talent twice in the game. The first was a punishing hit on Clemson’s RB that resulted in a tackle for loss, and then the INT that I thought showed his overall athleticism (he might have grabbed the pass one-handed). The true freshman is nowhere near his ceiling. I really hoping he takes a big step forward this offseason.

Tylor Harris had a pass deflection in the fourth quarter. Zeek Rodney got a hit on Watson in 4Q.

CORNERBACKS

Dionte Austin had a tough day but continues to look better than Devin Gaulden. Since Austin took over the starting job it hasn’t looked to me like offenses have challenged him any more than Brad Watson. In fact, they may have thrown at Watson more. Watson had a long day as well on Saturday. He gave up the 44 yard TD to Charone Peaks, drew a holding penalty in 3Q, and probably should have been flagged for a PI in 3Q. However, Watson got some redemption in 2Q when he took advantage of great positioning and a ball that was slightly underthrown to convert an INT. There’s no change in my view that Brad Watson is one of the best players on our defense.

OTHER NOTES

Wake was the victim of three missed calls in a short stretch late in the 2nd quarter. There were missed PI calls on KJ Brent and Cam Serigne and then when Clemson took over on offense one of their OLs tore Shelldon Lewinson’s helmet off. Then there was the “throat slash” in the 3rd quarter (oh my).

Jaboree Williams showed up a few times making impact plays despite limited playing time. One of his best performances this year. What an important player he is going to be next year.

Zach Dancel jumped a route in 1Q that should have resulted in a pick-six. Instead, the pass appeared to go through his hands and deflect off his helmet. Demetrius Kemp just missed a punt block on what I think might have been the very next play. He might have overshot the football. Either play could have kept the game closer for a while.

I am eager to get updates on the 4Q injuries to Marquel Lee, Matt Colburn and Ryan Janvion.

Excellent work as always. I bolded Clawson's statement regarding the QB's. The problem I have with that is yeah, I'm sure Wolford knows the X's and O's of the offense better and yeah he's a more accurate passer than Hinton at this point, but no matter how well he understands the offense or accurate he throws the ball, it doesn't matter when he constantly on his ass. The offense has moved the ball better and scored more points when Hinton has been the QB, I think the stats bare that out, so to me that's way more important than how well a guys understands the offense or how accurately they throw.

Wake/dook games over the years have been toss-ups regardless of the teams' records.

Start Hinton and let's see where he can take us!

NOTES FROM THE CLAWSON PRESS CONFERENCE

All redshirt juniors are on-track to graduate at the end of this academic year. Whether they return for a fifth year is a mutual option (my paraphrase of course). It first depends on whether they want to come back. It is possible that a player could be recognized on Saturday and still come back (for example, a player could change his mind, or a player could choose to stick around in the spring and compete for a fifth year).

He mentioned twice that Ty Hayworth will be back for a fifth year.

Ryan Anderson knows all five positions. Very sharp guy. He spends more time in the film room than any other OLs. Anderson provides lots of versatility from a position perspective. Phil Haynes could end up at guard or tackle next year. Jake Benzinger is a tackle. Nathan Gilliam can play guard or tackle. TJ Haney is a guard. All will be given a chance to compete for starting positions, but more likely will provide depth that Clawson hasn’t had at Wake before.

Wolford knows the offense, understands protections, and is the most accurate passer. Hinton might be the best athlete on the team. He also throws a beautiful deep ball. He is more capable of generating explosive plays.

Marquel Lee had a stinger. X-rays were negative. It will come down to how he feels on Saturday. Clawson thinks he is probable to play.

Credit to BloggerSoDear on Twitter for the report that the redshirt juniors to be honored on Saturday includes: Shelldon Lewinson, Steve Donatell, James Ward, Jonathon Williams, Joel Suggs and Teddy Matthews.

That reduces my projection of scholarship players for next year to 89. It would go down to 88 if Bryant Gross-Armiento does not return, and even further if we have grayshirts (which is probably expected at this point).

Lewinson is the biggest loss in my opinion. Losing Donatell means Brandon Chapman may not be able to be redshirted next year.

Credit to BloggerSoDear on Twitter for the report that the redshirt juniors to be honored on Saturday includes: Shelldon Lewinson, Steve Donatell, James Ward, Jonathon Williams, Joel Suggs and Teddy Matthews.

That reduces my projection of scholarship players for next year to 89. It would go down to 88 if Bryant Gross-Armiento does not return, and even further if we have grayshirts (which is probably expected at this point).

Lewinson is the biggest loss in my opinion. Losing Donatell means Brandon Chapman may not be able to be redshirted next year.

Hate to lose anybody, but really hate to lose a d-tackle.

Hate to lose anybody, but really hate to lose a d-tackle.

I don't necessarily think they are gone. If I read 94s write up regarding Clawsons presser was that all of those guys have the opportunity to come back if it's mutual. Sounds to me like those guys are all out there in case claw doesn't want them OR they don't want to return. Correct me if I'm wrong.

For example, if claw wants Lewinson back, but Claw isn't sure if Lewinson wants to come back, so he has Lewinson recognized. Then at the end of the season Lewinson comes into Claws office and says "of course I'm coming back, these young kids aren't beating me out"

Don't feel like searching for a better thread to post this on, so putting on here...Loved hearing the selection committee talking about how Notre Dame only beating us by three touchdowns dropped them in the standings. Awesome.

Don't feel like searching for a better thread to post this on, so putting on here...Loved hearing the selection committee talking about how Notre Dame only beating us by three touchdowns dropped them in the standings. Awesome.

And said nothing about them beating BC by only 3???

Why would llewinson not return? Desire to move on with career or transfer?

Back