• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Staff changes

popodeac

Reaction score
Do you think Clawson will make any staff changes? Is it too soon after 2nd 3-9 season? Should be a ton of quality coaches available this off season.

This would be a good question in year 3

Yeah if the offense doesn't take a good leap forward next year in points scored especially, that side of the staff really needs to be looked at hard. I'm pretty happy with the defensive staff so far.

Yeah if the offense doesn't take a good leap forward next year in points scored especially, that side of the staff really needs to be looked at hard. I'm pretty happy with the defensive staff so far.

I worry about Elko upgrading tho...this year or next year.

USF head coach Willie Taggart fired both coordinators and his DB coach after 6 wins in two season. He promoted his dual threat backup true freshman to starter and let his starting true sophomore transfer. USF is now 8-4 after a 1-3 start.

Not saying Clawson should do the same but there is an example of a coach on the hot seat after two years who turned it around.

Reactions: BDL
I worry about Elko upgrading tho...this year or next year.

Yeah that's possible. You know other head coaches have taken notice of his defenses the last 2 years being pretty good despite facing 2 offenses every game, the opponent's and ours.

USF head coach Willie Taggart fired both coordinators and his DB coach after 6 wins in two season. He promoted his dual threat backup true freshman to starter and let his starting true sophomore transfer. USF is now 8-4 after a 1-3 start.

Not saying Clawson should do the same but there is an example of a coach on the hot seat after two years who turned it around.

I don't think Clawson's seat is hot right now, but no bowl next year I think it gets warm quick.

LOL. Are people forgetting who our AD is? Barring some massive scandal the only way Clawson's seat gets remotely warm is if he goes 0-fer each of the next three seasons. He and his staff are not even going to get any real scrutiny for the next two seasons at least apart from the perfunctory annual review, which will lead to the usual platitudes and empty phrases from Wellman in the Gold Rush.

For the record I think Clawson's doing a fine job and I love his energy. I am concerned about certain aspects of the offense, the refusal to put Hinton ahead of Wolford, and to some extent the losing streak that ended this season, but I am willing to chalk the last up to a tough schedule and the fact that the team mailed it in today.

Of course if Wellman retires all bets are off but I have concluded he may not go on his own initiative. I just think stepping away from the cushy gig he has fashioned for himself may be too much of an emotional wrench for him to make the move alone.

I think you need to give Clawson a chance to get his own guys into the system. W/L was t any better this year but the product on the field looked to be.

I think you need to give Clawson a chance to get his own guys into the system. W/L was t any better this year but the product on the field looked to be.

Next year is a big year for this staff I think. The schedule is favorable and another years improvement should translate into at least 3 more wins and a bowl game.

I think the hope is that our head coach will actually have some fire in his belly and make changes when he feels necessary, not when the AD puts pressure on him (laugh). Our play calling was nicht gut, regardless of how bad our line play was this year. I hope Clawson would not hesitate to replace a couple of assistants if there are clear upgrades out there this year.

The cupboard was nearly completely bare when he got here, the guy needs some time to build the roster.

The cupboard was nearly completely bare when he got here, the guy needs some time to build the roster.

This seems true. With all the HC jobs open this year and remaining to see what new salaries will be, if we have a good year next year (Clawson $1.5 M/yr ? ?) would he be in for a big raise and maybe a hot prospect if many jobs come open. I hope we get the wins to make this an issue.

While he deserves reasonable time to build the program, he hasn't done anything to earn a raise or consideration for better jobs. There is a large divide between "not being fired/given more time" and earning a step up in salary. In my mind, we would have to have a remarkable jump explained by more than an advantageous schedule to earn anything above his currently agreed upon contract.
However, he only needs one AD to buy what he is selling, so who knows. Many ADs probably want to see what he can do after his "honeymoon recruits" have graduated. I say that because so far his program building has not been overwhelming, though consistent, so far. He has climbed to being the tallest midget and then moved on. Despite several gigs, he has not shown that he can sustain a program. Adding a P5 program to that list could be convincing if he has 2-3 good years at Wake.

Back