• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

MS vote can lead to banning some birth control pills

Gawd damn there are some stupid people in the south.

The same people who consider every egg sacred are the ones who will line up to bitch when our population explodes and more people than ever are on the government dole.

I think the thread title is a bit of a stretch given the content of the article. It does not appear to me there is a direct bill being voted on to ban birth control pills. There is a bill being voted on to ban abortion and defining life as beginning at the moment of conception. Even in the article itself it says it "could conceivably" ban contraception....clearly indicating that the bill is not on banning birth control pills, but rather that an extreme ramification of the bill is the banning of birth control.

Yet again, another over the top and gross exaggeration of the facts by RJ.

The effort to classify zygotes and fetuses as “persons” completely separate from their mothers and with full legal rights first appeared in Colorado, where voters have consistently voted down a so-called “personhood amendment” to the state constitution. Personhood laws would not only criminalize abortion with no exceptions, but also ban common forms of birth control, stem cell research, and in-vitro fertilization. This year, personhood measures are under serious consideration in Iowa, Mississippi, Florida, North Dakota, and Georgia, and the organization Personhood USA hopes to bring personhood campaigns to states including Texas, Montana, and Wisconsin.

In Mississippi, a personhood amendment to the state constitution will be on the ballot in 2011. Supporters of the measure include the American Family Association, Liberty Counsel, Lt. Governor and Republican gubernatorial candidate Phil Bryant, U.S. Rep. Alan Nunnelee, and Sen. Roger Wicker, who plans to introduce a bill “identical” to the personhood amendment in the U.S. Senate.

Just wait until they are knee deep in negroes...

good grief, it isn't going to ban contraception, but it is obviously meant to present a new challenge to Roe v. Wade. The problem with stuff like this is, ok, say you present your challenge and actually win it when Roe v. Wade is overturned. Then you're stuck with a stupid law that a lot of people-- including those who voted for it on the principle that RvW needed to be challenged-- never wanted in the first place.

In all honesty, with all the contraception and morning after stuff available these days, the need for abortions should be declining drastically.

Your thread title says there will be a vote on banning birth control pills. I have yet to see any link which backs up that statement.

You're like a left wing version of fox news.

Last edited:
Your thread title says there will be a vote on banning birth control pills. I have yet to see any link which backs up that statement.

You're like a left wing version of fox news.

don't let facts stand in the way of a good story...

Are you guys happy?

OIf course the FACT that multiple sources say that MS and other states may ban some types of birth control is much less important than being a dick.

Make the story about me not about reactionary RWers overturning a Supreme Clourt decision.

Are you guys happy?

OIf course the FACT that multiple sources say that MS and other states may ban some types of birth control is much less important than being a dick.
Make the story about me not about reactionary RWers overturning a Supreme Clourt decision.

Mississippi got around to ratifying that pesky 13th amendment in 1996. The only redeeming quality to that backward's ass State is Oxford on college gamedays. So, yes, being a dick in this particular instance is more important. :)

Mississippi got around to ratifying that pesky 13th amendment in 1996. The only redeeming quality to that backward's ass State is Oxford on college gamedays. So, yes, being a dick in this particular instance is more important. :)

Actually was in 1995, they were ahead of the curve.

Are you guys happy?

"This is not about interfering with anyone's ability to receive or participate in birth control," he told Reuters."

RJ, why did you fail to mention a direct quote from the article that addresses your exaggerated implication?

What do you expect him to say?

That satement is EXACTLY like the peopel who want to to defund Planned Parenthood saying that public funds are used for abortions at PP.

"This is not about interfering with anyone's ability to receive or participate in birth control," he told Reuters."

RJ, why did you fail to mention a direct quote from the article that addresses your exaggerated implication?

Am guessing the link to the story changed - previous discussion in this thread was about MS bill and vote, while the link to the story now is exclusively about LA's efforts to introduce legislature with the ultimate goal of overturning RvW.

I've always been a fan of fencing them in, along with Arkansas & Louisiana, and making a national prison colony.

Didn't George Carlin have a bit on this where the colony's door only opened for 30 seconds a year and if you got out u where free?

What do you expect him to say?

That satement is EXACTLY like the peopel who want to to defund Planned Parenthood saying that public funds are used for abortions at PP.

Your strawman is weak. You may consider abortion to be a form of birth control but most reasonable people don't. Anti-abortion people believe that life begins at the point of conception; The vast, vast majority of birth control prevents conception. The ruling from this vote could "conceivably" extend to Plan-B, but it won't and you know it. Their trying to overturn Roe v. Wade is bad enough without your misguided fear mongering.

Back