• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"Change has Come to N.C."

This is great for NC education. My parents helped found one of the original charter schools in the triangle, Woods Charter School, in Chapel Hill. I went there for middle school. Woods was in the middle of a shopping center, and the entire school was in one large room (formerly a church), with cubicle dividers separating the class rooms.

This is great for NC education. My parents helped found one of the original charter schools in the triangle, Woods Charter School, in Chapel Hill. I went there for middle school. Woods was in the middle of a shopping center, and the entire school was in one large room (formerly a church), with cubicle dividers separating the class rooms.

I don't understand the intellectual argument on restricting charter schools in the first place. Why WOULDN'T you want invested stakeholders putting sweat equity into a different idea to circumvent an bloated, entitled, unaccountable failing system? How is that bad for the students (the intended beneficiaries of the system in the first place)?

I don't understand the intellectual argument on restricting charter schools in the first place. Why WOULDN'T you want invested stakeholders putting sweat equity into a different idea to circumvent an bloated, entitled, unaccountable failing system? How is that bad for the students (the intended beneficiaries of the system in the first place)?

Hold up? Who's benefiting? The stakeholders or the students?

There's a good bit of research out there very critical of charter schools. The stuff that concerns me is the schools that just closed without warning because investors just backed out.

Here is some nice work by the resident neg rep pussy

"Change has Come to... 06-11-2011 02:25 AM Is that why you ended up at community college, seems like it must have worked

Doesn't even make sense dude. You'll never be a pseudo man if you keep that lame shit up.

Hold up? Who's benefiting? The stakeholders or the students?

There's a good bit of research out there very critical of charter schools. The stuff that concerns me is the schools that just closed without warning because investors just backed out.

As opposed to our existing public school system, which is just tearing it up in math and science against the rest of the developed world.

As opposed to our existing public school system, which is just tearing it up in math and science against the rest of the developed world.

So you'd rather have no school than a school that needs improvement. Ok.

Maybe the problem is in other countries, education is a true priority. Math is something everybody can and should learn and science isn't "of the devil". There is a considerable movement in some states to push back science instruction into 3rd grade or later instead in kindergarten.

So you'd rather have no school than a school that needs improvement. Ok.

Maybe the problem is in other countries, education is a true priority. Math is something everybody can and should learn and science isn't "of the devil". There is a considerable movement in some states to push back science instruction into 3rd grade or later instead in kindergarten.

Surely you're not this intellectually dishonest at work, right?

Here is some nice work by the resident neg rep pussy

"Change has Come to... 06-11-2011 02:25 AM Is that why you ended up at community college, seems like it must have worked

Doesn't even make sense dude. You'll never be a pseudo man if you keep that lame shit up.

It makes sense to me and that's what matters.

Signed,
NegRepPussy

Surely you're not this intellectually dishonest at work, right?

Surely you stay on topic at work, right?

Do you have a problem with charter schools closing due to lack of funding?

Charter schools often receive less funding per student than surrounding public schools, so they have use their funds differently. It was much cheaper in the short term for Woods Charter school to lease a space in a shopping center, rather than build first as public schools do. Charter schools which prematurely allocate too much of their resources to infrastructure, rather than teacher salaries, are most often the ones you mention that fail. As the majority of charter schools around the nation have long waiting lists of students, community support is the least of their worries. The funding is there, it just has to be managed properly.

Last edited:
I think the biggest argument against charter schools is that the remaining public schools will continue to decline if the academic achievers who would ordinarily go there end up going elsewhere. I think that argument is correct but I think the benefits to the excelling students outweight the negative impact.

That's a plainly false choice, but I suspect you knew that already.

That's a plainly false choice, but I suspect you knew that already.

Then why did you make up that false choice instead of staying on topic?

Then why did you make up that false choice instead of staying on topic?

Remind me again who inserted the assumption that charter schools would close.

I'll give you a hint:

It starts with "Ph".

Remind me again who inserted the assumption that charter schools would close.

I'll give you a hint:

It starts with "Ph".

That's not an assumption. Read the post again. This is documented stuff that's actually going on. You're not aware of this?

PM me your e-mail and I'll send you a short journal article that summarizes several of the critiques of charter schools. It's an older article, but it should point you in the direction of more research on the topic. Here are few key passages:

------
[FONT=&quot]In a “market” view of accountability, competition will ultimately breed excellence by “weeding out” ineffectual organizations. Through “ripple effects,” all schools will be forced to improve their standards. Much like business organizations, schools that face competition will survive only by becoming more efficient and producing a better overall product (higher levels of achievement) than their private and public school counterparts.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Social scientists, including the authors of this article, question this simplistic, if intuitively appealing, application of neoliberal business principles to the complex nature of the educational system, children’s learning, and parental choice for schools. If competition were leading to accountability, we would see parents pulling their children out of unsuccessful charter schools. But research shows that this seldom happens. Indeed, parents, particularly those with resources, typically choose schools for reasons of religion, culture, and social similarity rather than academic quality. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Nor are charter schools accountable to bureaucrats. Even though charter schools are not outperforming traditional public schools, relatively few (10 percent nationally) have actually been closed by their authorizers over the last decade. Although we might interpret a 10 percent closure rate as evidence of academic accountability at work, this would be misleading. Financial rather than academic issues are the principal reasons cited for these closures. By all indications, charter schools are not being held accountable to academic standards, either by their authorizers or by market forces.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]In addition to measuring accountability through student performance, charter schools should also be held to standards of financial and educational quality. Here, some charter schools are faltering. From California to New York and Ohio, newspaper editorials question fiscal oversight. There are extreme cases such as the California Charter Academy, a publicly financed but privately run chain of 60 charter schools. Despite a budget of $100 million dollars, this chain became insolvent in August 2004, leaving thousands of children without a school to attend. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]More direct accountability issues include educational quality and annual reports to state legislatures; here, charter- school performance is poor or mixed. In Ohio, where nearly 60,000 students now attend charter schools, approximately one-quarter of these schools are not following the state’s mandate to report school-level test score results, and only 45 percent of the teachers at the state’s 250 charter schools hold full teaching certification. Oversight is further complicated by the creation of “online” charter schools, which serve 16,000 of Ohio’s public school students.[/FONT]
------

------
[FONT=&quot]Certainly some charter schools are improving the educational quality and experience of some children. KIPP (Knowledge Is Power Program) schools, for example, are doing remarkable things for the students lucky enough to attend them. But for every KIPP school (of which there are only 45, and not all are charter schools), there are many more charter schools that do not provide the same educational opportunity to students, have closed their doors in the middle of the school year, and, in effect, isolate students from their peers of other races and social classes. Does this mean that we should prevent KIPP, for example, from educating students through the charter school option? Maybe. Or perhaps we should develop better program evaluations— of what works and what does not—and implement them as guideposts. To the dismay of some policymakers and “competition” advocates, however, such standardized evaluation and accountability would undercut significant charter school variations if not the very nature of the charter school innovation itself.[/FONT]
--------

Back