• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pakistan, an Addendum to the Military Spending Thread

ONW

Reaction score
I'm unsure where the funding for our support of Pakistan comes from, but after their actions, i.e. we could arrest all of the informants immediately, but not find the world's most wanted terrorist for 10 years:

"A Pakistani military spokesman confirmed that there were "a number of people arrested in Abbottabad after the raid on the Osama bin Laden compound," but said he could not say what relationship, if any, they had with the CIA.

Some were seized at "a house in Abbottabad that was used to monitor the bin Laden compound activities," said Syed Azmat Ali, the military spokesman. "They could have been Pakistanis who were informants to the CIA."

Ali said those arrests were made by Pakistan's powerful military intelligence agency, the ISI, "immediately after the raid, so this is not a new piece of information."

I understand the nuclear/islamic/regional aspect of our interests, but it is dishearteninng that people will support giving Pakistan billions of dollars with the ROI on this type of bullshit.

Also, we shared info with the pakistanis about a raid on an IED factory that was sending bombs to Afghanistan.

The Pakistani military alerted the perps and they were gone when the attack happened.

We should have just nuked the whole damn sandbox after we found out they were hiding him.

We should have just nuked the whole damn sandbox after we found out they were hiding him.

"I'm not saying he's right....I'm sayin' I understand." - Chris Rock (re: OJ Simpson murdering the guy who was driving the car he was paying for to go to the house he was paying for and have relations with the ex-wife he was paying alimony to).

I agree. It would have been interesting to see what the world reaction would have been.

If Obama would have made that call, the reaction to his call would have been very interesting as well.

First OBL then Pakistan, the arab world would have seriously been on its heels.

I agree. It would have been interesting to see what the world reaction would have been.

If Obama would have made that call, the reaction to his call would have been very interesting as well.

First OBL then Pakistan, the arab world would have seriously been on its heels.

It would have been "interesting" to see over a million people killed, or the human response?

Can someone explain to me what it is about Pakistan that allows them to repeatedly give us the middle finger but we don't ever seem to do anything about it?*

*This is a serious question, because I don't fully understand the complexities of our relationship with them.

It would have been "interesting" to see over a million people killed, or the human response?

The reaction to genocide likely wouldn't have been rosy.

Can someone explain to me what it is about Pakistan that allows them to repeatedly give us the middle finger but we don't ever seem to do anything about it?*

*This is a serious question, because I don't fully understand the complexities of our relationship with them.

Short version - They have nukes, and would love to use them on one of the world's other democracies (India).

Short version - They have nukes, and would love to use them on one of the world's other democracies (India).

That part I get, but I don't see our diplomatic stance tied so much to India as it is to Afghanistan. I mean, are we really pouring billions of dollars into Pakistan because we're afraid they'll try to occupy Kashmir? Are we that sure that India can't take care of itself?

That part I get, but I don't see our diplomatic stance tied so much to India as it is to Afghanistan. I mean, are we really pouring billions of dollars into Pakistan because we're afraid they'll try to occupy Kashmir? Are we that sure that India can't take care of itself?

Doesn't matter if India can take care of herself. China will inevitably back Pakistan, and we would naturally side with our ally and brother in democracy, India.

It's in everyone's best interest for us to not light that powder keg right now.

Do you think the aid we give to Pakistan is keeping that powder keg from lighting?

If we let their government fall it could be taken over by extremists, who will have nukes.

We have to take some of their shit or hand the country to the Taliban or jihadists.

RJKarl said:
DeacinBama wrote: That part I get, but I don't see our diplomatic stance tied so much to India as it is to Afghanistan. I mean, are we really pouring billions of dollars into Pakistan because we're afraid they'll try to occupy Kashmir? Are we that sure that India can't take care of itself?

If we let their government fall it could be taken over by extremists, who will have nukes.

We have to take some of their shit or hand the country to the Taliban or jihadists.

Yeah, I know, hence my questioning of the India-first diplomatic stance vis-a-vis Pakistan being proposed.

Everyone has to take some shit in a relationship. It just seems like Pakistan thinks it has us by the balls and knows it. Do they? And if so, how to we get them off?

I'm trying to imagine a scenario in which the 3rd largest country nukes the 6th largest country who is enemies with the 2nd largest country and borders the 1st largest country and it doesn't turn into a third World War.

I'd love to bitchslap the Pakistanis and stop giving them aid to do what they're not doing. But I'd love to avoid a World War as well.

Yeah, I know, hence my questioning of the India-first diplomatic stance vis-a-vis Pakistan being proposed.

Everyone has to take some shit in a relationship. It just seems like Pakistan thinks it has us by the balls and knows it. Do they? And if so, how to we get them off?

Excellent question, and I have no idea what the answer is.

A long statement after the regular monthly meeting of the 11 corps commanders last week illuminated the mounting hostility toward the United States, even as it remains the army’s biggest patron, supplying at least $2 billion a year in aid.

The statement, aimed at rebuilding support within the army and among the public, said that American training in Pakistan had only ever been minimal, and had now ended. “It needs to be clarified that the army had never accepted any training assistance from the United States except for training on the newly inducted weapons and some training assistance for the Frontier Corps only,” a reference to paramilitary troops in the northwest tribal areas, the statement said.

The statement said that the C.I.A.-run drone attacks against militants in the tribal areas “were not acceptable under any circumstances.”

Allowing the drones to continue to operate from Pakistan was “politically unsustainable,” said the well-informed Pakistani who met with General Kayani recently. As part of his survival mechanism, General Kayani could well order the Americans to stop the drone program completely, the Pakistani said.

The Pakistanis have already blocked the supply of food and water to the base used for the drones, a senior American official said, adding that they were gradually “strangling the alliance” by making things difficult for the Americans in Pakistan.

Unreal.

The leaders there walk on thin ice because they really only control a portion of the country. They have to do things to appear anti-American at times to maintain control, in the face of all the aid we give them. It's really hard to say who actually is or who isn't so I would be careful in believing too much of what you read. As always, what matters is what goes on behind the scenes. It's a Game of Thrones over there.

They just allowed something very pro-American. I expected some balance going forward, including charges we weren't supposed to go in.

They're a bunch of fucking losers, but we tolerate their shit because it's better than a bunch of radical assholes running that place.

The leaders there walk on thin ice because they really only control a portion of the country. They have to do things to appear anti-American at times to maintain control, in the face of all the aid we give them. It's really hard to say who actually is or who isn't so I would be careful in believing too much of what you read. As always, what matters is what goes on behind the scenes. It's a Game of Thrones over there.

They just allowed something very pro-American. I expected some balance going forward, including charges we weren't supposed to go in.

What did they do?

Back