• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Global warming no big deal, since land masses apparently float

dukediggler

"Well known member"
Reaction score
http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/06/17/research-center-under-fire-for-adjusted-sea-level-data/

The University of Colorado’s Sea Level Research Group decided in May to add 0.3 millimeters -- or about the thickness of a fingernail -- every year to its actual measurements of sea levels....

Steve Nerem, the director of the widely relied-upon research center, told FoxNews.com that his group added the 0.3 millimeters per year to the actual sea level measurements because land masses, still rebounding from the ice age, are rising and increasing the amount of water that oceans can hold.

"We have to account for the fact that the ocean basins are actually getting slightly bigger... water volume is expanding," he said, a phenomenon they call glacial isostatic adjustment (GIA).

Maybe those guys should take a look at the likely seismic repercussions of adding that water-weight tonnage to seabeds worldwide.

I'll take the lawyer's word that this is clearly tomfoolery over the opinion of, you know, scientists (who aren't hack, "every time we need a scientist to deny global warming [we still call it that] we'll call this guy" scientists like that Christy guy).

In any event, using the most popular denier argument (and most effective, according to them, maybe except for something God-related) to support man-made climate change, I will say that it's been really hot lately, so climate change must be real.

I haven't read a fox news "news" article in awhile. You sometimes forget how clearly one-sided they are, and then you read an article like this one.

Last edited:
The annual hurricane forecasts come from Colorado State.

Which of these doesn'tgo with the others?

Research Interests
Satellite altimetry, sea level change, Earth gravity field determination, time variations of the Earth's gravity field, planetary geodesy, precision orbit determination, astrodynamics.

Hmmm and which is Faux News quoting him on?

It's like quoting a CPA with expterise in corporate taxes, international taxation and business formation on doing root canals.

"water volume is expanding"

"are you trying to tell me the laws of physics cease to exist on your stove?"

Which of these doesn'tgo with the others?

Research Interests
Satellite altimetry, sea level change, Earth gravity field determination, time variations of the Earth's gravity field, planetary geodesy, precision orbit determination, astrodynamics.

Hmmm and which is Faux News quoting him on?

It's like quoting a CPA with expterise in corporate taxes, international taxation and business formation on doing root canals.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I'd say sea level change could definitely be studied in conjunction with gravitational studies.

sea level change is not about things in outer space....

RJKarl said:
sea level change is not about things in outer space....

LOL. RJ, I love you buddy, but think, then type. Preferably sober, but that's optional.

Last edited:
Bama, not temproary things like the tides but permanent levels. . sorry this guy is not the expert on the subject of climate cchange.

If he was a geologist or meteorologist, it would be different.

RJKarl said:
Bama, not temproary things like the tides but permanent levels. . sorry this guy is not the expert on the subject of climate cchange.

If he was a geologist or meteorologist, it would be different.

I get what you're saying, but your initial phrasing was a bit off. That's all.

Back