• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Another Clarence Thomas ethics problem

Thomas is one of the worst Supreme Court justices of all time. He has gone literally years without asking any questions of the lawyers arguing cases before the court. His stand against affirmative action makes him a hypocrite of the highest order.

One of his clerks is a Wake college grad. Nice lady.

the fact that he hasn't asked questions isn't that significant. I wish he would, but it really doesn't matter. I don't think he is that great of a justice, but wouldn't go as far as to say he is "one of the worst of all time."

What was the case that Harlan Crow had in front of the Supreme Court? I want to read the opinions.

Besides all the gifts Crow gave Thomas, he also was the initial funder of Ginnie Thoma's job to lobby against Obamacare.

There is no way any Justice in history wouldn't recuse himself from all healthcare decisions. Well other than Thomas who flaunts typical ethics at every turn.

He make Abe Fortis look like an amateur.

Here's a little more:
"And he has had a role in picking people to help with the museum. Barbara Fertig, a history professor at Armstrong Atlantic State University in Savannah, said that she was asked to meet with Justice Thomas last spring and that “by the end of the meeting, he said he would like me to work on this project.”

She said she had “never been particularly curious” about why Mr. Crow is financing it, adding that costly preservation projects are often possible only because of philanthropy motivated by friendships. Justice Thomas and Mr. Crow would seem to fall into that category, Ms. Fertig said.

“I’ve been in the company of the two of them together,” she said, “and they certainly really are friends.”

Yep a judge should rule on cases involving good friends.

Here's a little more:
"And he has had a role in picking people to help with the museum. Barbara Fertig, a history professor at Armstrong Atlantic State University in Savannah, said that she was asked to meet with Justice Thomas last spring and that “by the end of the meeting, he said he would like me to work on this project.”

She said she had “never been particularly curious” about why Mr. Crow is financing it, adding that costly preservation projects are often possible only because of philanthropy motivated by friendships. Justice Thomas and Mr. Crow would seem to fall into that category, Ms. Fertig said.

“I’ve been in the company of the two of them together,” she said, “and they certainly really are friends.”

Yep a judge should rule on cases involving good friends.

You are a racist.

http://www.thecorporateobserver.com...:+AVoiceForMainStreet+(The+Corporate+Observer)

OOPS takes all that money and all those presents form Harlan Crow. Harlan Crow has a case in front of the Supreme Court. He loses 8-1.

The one vote for him...Clarence Thomas.

From the NYT article:

Mr. Crow has not personally been a party to Supreme Court litigation, but his companies have been involved in federal court cases, including four that went to the appellate level. And he has served on the boards of two conservative organizations involved in filing supporting briefs in cases before the Supreme Court. One of them, the American Enterprise Institute, with Mr. Crow as a trustee, gave Justice Thomas a bust of Lincoln valued at $15,000 and praised his jurisprudence at an awards gala in 2001.

The institute’s Project on Fair Representation later filed briefs in several cases, and in 2006 the project brought a lawsuit challenging federal voting rights laws, a case in which Justice Thomas filed a lone dissent, embracing the project’s arguments. The project director, an institute fellow named Edward Blum, said the institute supported his research but did not finance the brief filings or the Texas suit, which was litigated pro bono by a former clerk of Justice Thomas’s.

“When it came time to file a lawsuit,” he said, “A.E.I. had no role in doing that.”

This was hardly a case of Harlan Crow having a case in front of the SCOTUS, RJ.

Mr. Crow has not personally been a party to Supreme Court litigation, but his companies have been involved in federal court cases, including four that went to the appellate level. And he has served on the boards of two conservative organizations involved in filing supporting briefs in cases before the Supreme Court. One of them, the American Enterprise Institute, with Mr. Crow as a trustee, gave Justice Thomas a bust of Lincoln valued at $15,000 and praised his jurisprudence at an awards gala in 2001.

The institute’s Project on Fair Representation later filed briefs in several cases, and in 2006 the project brought a lawsuit challenging federal voting rights laws, a case in which Justice Thomas filed a lone dissent, embracing the project’s arguments. The project director, an institute fellow named Edward Blum, said the institute supported his research but did not finance the brief filings or the Texas suit, which was litigated pro bono by a former clerk of Justice Thomas’s.

That's what I cut and pasted before, RJ. Basically, the AEI, which has 26 trustees by my count, of which Crow is one (so is Dick Cheney), has some kind of legal affiliation with the Project on Fair Representation. What that connection is is not specifically stated, but one of AEI's visiting fellows is the director of the PFR.

There are conflicts of interest, and then there are tenuous connections that are labeled conflicts of interest for political purposes.

To think that any of these Justices-- particularly those who have been in DC for any period of time-- are going to be free from political connections is ridiculous.

Back