• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official lawn care thread

siff

Scott "Rufio" Feather
Reaction score
Mine looks like shit right now (relatively speaking). I've got some heathery-crap in the area near the sidewalk and street. My questions:

1. Should I weed-and-feed now?
  2. If I do, how long do I have to wait before overseeding?
  3. Should I overseed even though the spring (unlike fall) is a tough time to grow grass, with hellishly-hot summer temps around the corner?

Another question: when should I use grub control products?

I always do my seeding in the fall. Seeding in the spring doesnt give the roots long enough to get entrenched before the severe heat of the summer. Grass roots will still grow over the winter, so by the time the spring comes around they'll be good to go.

In the spring, I dethatch and lime the yard. I only seed bare areas. They do make a broad leaf weed killer that I've heard works really well. It wont harm the grass, but will target only the broad leaf weeds.

I dropped weed and feed last weekend. In 3 days my grass went from brownish to green.

I dropped weed and feed last weekend. In 3 days my grass went from brownish to green.

All that rain was clutch for that turnaround as well, I'd imagine. So good timing on your part.

Back