• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

NCAA Cheating

Reaction score
This is a time tested proven strategy for winning. Why don't more schools with onfield performance issues implement a long range cheating plan. Exhibit A: SMU.

This is a time tested proven strategy for winning. Why don't more schools with onfield performance issues implement a long range cheating plan. Exhibit A: SMU.

Because they get punished for it? They had to fold their football program for two years, and are just becoming relevant again.

I remeber the SMU debacle really well, the Conference they were in the Southwestern Conference was a brutal conference in football you had teams like Texas, Arkansas, Texas AM, along with Oklahoma! It was easily the toughest conference at that time and cheating was the only way even if you were losing games! No one talks about Miami back in the 80s they were the epitome of cheating scandals with the players they had!

How was Miami the epitome of cheating scandals? Were they really any worse than a lot other schools in the 80s? Just because they had a lot of high profile black players, doesn't mean they were cheating.

How was Miami the epitome of cheating scandals? Were they really any worse than a lot other schools in the 80s? Just because they had a lot of high profile black players, doesn't mean they were cheating.

There's a huge difference between a cheating scandal and just being plain dirty

I remeber the SMU debacle really well, the Conference they were in the Southwestern Conference was a brutal conference in football you had teams like Texas, Arkansas, Texas AM, along with Oklahoma! It was easily the toughest conference at that time and cheating was the only way even if you were losing games! No one talks about Miami back in the 80s they were the epitome of cheating scandals with the players they had!

ESPN's 30 for 30 Pony Express covered this well. Even TCU was cheating just to get to a 3-8 record most years.

The death penalty is a truly a program killer and probably shouldn't be used again, but what the NCAA is doing now is not doing much to prevent cheating. They probably need something between what they have now and the death penalty. I would not weep at all seeing USC, O$U, etc have their programs crippled for a decade if they are doing some pretty egregious stuff.

Oklahoma was in the Big 8 and the toughness of the SWC was vastly overrated. They were on par with every other major conference, give or take some bad years and good years. Arkansas bolted for the SEC, tired of the Texas-centric nature of the conference (kind of like Nebraska just did with the Big XII). SMU's demise along with Arkie's departure made the SWC a non-factor as a conference, resulting in the eventual formation of the Big XII, which merged the Big 8 with 4 SWC teams.

Miami was independent for several years before joining the Big East in the 90s.

Oh they were cheating FreeknDeacon I remeber it really well I could sit here all day and name the violations they had out on them back in 1987 1988! I just tell you one that I remeber almost got them into big big trouble had they NCAA not screwed up the investigation! You remeber Randy Shannon the coach that Miami just fired, you also rember Luke that rap star who was an avid Miami fan! Well...The NCAA investigated them several times for illegal payment to players Shannon started the hit squad that gave Defensive players so much money for bounties on opposing players! Think that wasn't illegal?

Oklahoma was in the Big 8 and the toughness of the SWC was vastly overrated. They were on par with every other major conference, give or take some bad years and good years. Arkansas bolted for the SEC, tired of the Texas-centric nature of the conference (kind of like Nebraska just did with the Big XII). SMU's demise along with Arkie's departure made the SWC a non-factor as a conference, resulting in the eventual formation of the Big XII, which merged the Big 8 with 4 SWC teams.

Miami was independent for several years before joining the Big East in the 90s.

Yea after the Conference was split up finally! Texas and Texas AM Arkansas each had 10+ Winning seasons during the 80's era. With the exception of teams like Baylor, Texas Christ., and UTEP the conference was tough at the top nationally and weak at the bottom!

Last edited:
ESPN's 30 for 30 Pony Express covered this well. Even TCU was cheating just to get to a 3-8 record most years.

The death penalty is a truly a program killer and probably shouldn't be used again, but what the NCAA is doing now is not doing much to prevent cheating. They probably need something between what they have now and the death penalty. I would not weep at all seeing USC, O$U, etc have their programs crippled for a decade if they are doing some pretty egregious stuff.

Yea I agree as I pointed that out at the bottom, but it was not by any means an overrated conference with Texas and Texas AM Arkansas and SMU(Before Death Penalty), winning games and going to big time bowl games!

There's a huge difference between a cheating scandal and just being plain dirty

They were dirty, ver dirty but they were investigated several times on National news Luther Campbell';s Pay for Play system involved cash rewards to players as they were investigated!

anyone remember oklahoma football in the late 80s? NO rules. Brian Bosworth...

Yes....In a six month time frame there was a shooting, a rape at the athletic Dorms Switzer's house got robbed with the help of one of his players...and the player who sold drugs to an undercover agent!

Last edited:
My high school was just hit with Virginia High School League violations. Next stop is the SEC.

Yes....In a six month time frame there was a shooting, a rape at the athletic Dorms Switzer's house got robbed with the help of one of his players...and the player who sold drugs to an undercover agent!

They were investigated by the NCAA and put on probation for matters not relating to criminality, which is not within the NCAA's purview.

They were investigated by the NCAA and put on probation for matters not relating to criminality, which is not within the NCAA's purview.

I didn't say it wasn't! But whats in the NCAA's purview? There are so many rules and violations with a book filled with rules and how punishment factors into certain violations and/or rules depending on what has been violated!

Last edited:
They asked Tom Izzo today on either Dan Patrick or SVP's radio show had he ever self -reported a violation. His response: yeah I think I parted my hair the wrong way once.

Back