• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Wireless Printer Help

DeaconSlim2.0

-------------------------
Reaction score
OMG....This is pissing me off to no end.

I am by no means technically ignorant....I've worked in IT and troubleshot networks and computers etc.

But I can't get my fucking wireless printer to stay connected.

I bought it a month ago, connected it, put the installation CD in my laptop, loaded everything, set it up for wireless printing, tested it, it worked.

Did the same thing on the other computers in the house.

Something happened and my laptop won't print, it always says "PRINTER IS OFFLINE". I tried deleting all Printers from my "Devices and Printers" section, then reinstalled the software/set up the printer again....but EVERY TIME, it adds the Canon MP495 Printer icon AND a Canon MP495 Printer (Copy 1) to the list of printers, even if I delete them both and completely uninstall everything Canon from my computer.

The thing is, my desktop (running the same OS [Windows 7 Home Premium]) has never been interrupted...it can print any and all times whether my laptop can or can't and whether the laptop says the printer is online.

The thing is, there is NO WAY to adjust/edit the network properties of the Printer without using their software, and their software just does it automatically and doesn't let you choose or edit anything.

If I uninstall/reinstall, I can usually get it to work wirelessly, but then if I restart or anything, it always says the Printer is offline.

Anyone had any experiences like this?

I can't figure it out.

:wtftard:

I spent about 4 hours getting someone's personal (wireless) printer installed today at work. It ended up that the cause of the errors/offline stuff was a background service (since it worked after I disabled all non-MS services and programs at startup). I'd recommend starting there, but that's probably just the recency effect talking.

We had trouble with ours for years and then a friend came over a few weeks ago and fixed it in 5 minutes. Something about assigning a static IP address or something.

We had trouble with ours for years and then a friend came over a few weeks ago and fixed it in 5 minutes. Something about assigning a static IP address or something.

Yea that's what I want to do, but there's no way of doing that because you can't setup the printer's network info without using their software, which is limited.

printers are the source of 90% of all IT problems :bullshit:

Yea that's what I want to do, but there's no way of doing that because you can't setup the printer's network info without using their software, which is limited.

I don't know much about any of this, but I think the way he did it was to assign a printer only network so that when we want to print something, we change the network on our computer from "home" to "printer" and print from there. I don't know how he did it, but I do know that it works.

Surprised you need to use their software to configure it, many printers allow menu navigation on the device itself (tedious) or web configuration if you point a browser at it's IP address.

Setting a static IP (instead of DHCP) is definitely the way to go, may require either/or setting it in the printer's config and reserving the address in your wireless router.

I figured it out...

I was able to set the Static IP previously, but it still went offline.

I didn't know after setting the IP that you could take the browser to that IP and see a configuration menu for the printer.

But still couldn't print after restarting the computer....uninstalled/reinstalled the software multiple times, and each time got it to print, but after a restart it said the printer was offline.

Turns out it's a stupid little technicality.

Here's what it was:

OPEN DEVICES AND PRINTERS MENU from the start menu, then select SEE WHAT'S PRINTING:

2rx71g7.jpg

Then, select PRINTER:

11vnsxw.jpg

Then for some unknown reason, the USE PRINTER OFFLINE option is checked after a restart:

kd4iro.jpg

Uncheck that, then I can print just fine.

Annoying.

But now I have to try to figure out how to keep that from happening every time I restart.

Yeah, I had to do that w/ teh printer I was working with today too. Hmm, I'll have to check back in w/ her tomorrow to make sure it didn't start doing that again after she's turned it off and back on.

Back