• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Attorney help needed

siff

Scott "Rufio" Feather
Reaction score
My daughter has a good friend and classmate who was busted with an open bottle of alcohol in his car (the school had police dogs search cars in the parking lot, and he had a bottle of vodka in his trunk). He's a senior, three months from graduating and becoming (I believe) the first kid in his family to go to college, and he's now been expelled. It's very unfortunate - a big mistake, no doubt, but one I think is being dealt with far too harshly. He's now "going to class" at a juvenile detention center; he fears, as he should, that his acceptance to college will be rescinded.

Anyone know of any attorneys (Charlotte/LKN/Concord area) who would be able to help him out? Thanks.

This is not a direct referral; however, Wilson Parker, a professor at Wake's law school, specializes in this kind of stuff. He co-authored a book entitled "Ignorance is No Defense: a College Student's Guide to North Carolina Law" which talks about numerous alcohol/drug/sex related laws in North Carolina. I would try shooting him an e-mail (parkerjw@wfu.edu) if you don't have any other leads.

Are you kidding me? Expelled for that??? WTF.

My daughter has a good friend and classmate who was busted with an open bottle of alcohol in his car (the school had police dogs search cars in the parking lot, and he had a bottle of vodka in his trunk). He's a senior, three months from graduating and becoming (I believe) the first kid in his family to go to college, and he's now been expelled. It's very unfortunate - a big mistake, no doubt, but one I think is being dealt with far too harshly. He's now "going to class" at a juvenile detention center; he fears, as he should, that his acceptance to college will be rescinded.

Anyone know of any attorneys (Charlotte/LKN/Concord area) who would be able to help him out? Thanks.

Thank god police dogs never sniffed around my car in high school

I don't know any attorneys who specifically handle this kind of issue in Charlotte, but there's an interesting article in this morning's News and Observer about a suspension of a student being overturned by the Wake County Superior Court. A group called Advocates for Children's Services won the case. You may want to Google them and the attorney mentioned in the article and see if they could help or at least point you to a lawyer in Charlotte who may be able to.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/03/22/1071608/judge-rules-in-favor-of-student.html

And may I say that sucks what happened. Hope he gets a fair outcome.

Oh hell no. Expelled for booze? That is complete bullshit. I had no idea they train police dogs to pick up on alcohol now. I'd have been screwed in high school.

Oh hell no. Expelled for booze? That is complete bullshit. I had no idea they train police dogs to pick up on alcohol now. I'd have been screwed in high school.

+10000000000000000000000000000

Was this his first offense? Seems a bit harsh for the crime if so.

Also seems odd that a police dog could sniff out a closed bottle of alcohol.

Seems like unreasonable search and seizure to me.

It's amazing what these police dogs can pick up when they're trained to it. Alcohol would probably be one of the easier scents for them to learn. I was representing a guy recently who was charged with stealing pills from a pharmacy. The pills (5mg percocet) were still in the bottle and still sealed. The police stopped his car and brought out a drug dog. The dog picked right up on it despite the fact it has no noticeable smell to you or I. I was incredulous at first the dog could really do that but I called around to several contacts and all told me they could easily be trained to detect even that small amount of narcotic.

It's amazing what these police dogs can pick up when they're trained to it. Alcohol would probably be one of the easier scents for them to learn. I was representing a guy recently who was charged with stealing pills from a pharmacy. The pills (5mg percocet) were still in the bottle and still sealed. The police stopped his car and brought out a drug dog. The dog picked right up on it despite the fact it has no noticeable smell to you or I. I was incredulous at first the dog could really do that but I called around to several contacts and all told me they could easily be trained to detect even that small amount of narcotic.

That is amazing.

God, this kid got fucking screwed.

When entering a school, you give up many of your rights. Signs are posted in large print (at least at my high school) that searches may occur at any time.

I think that this penalty is absurd, but the kid probably should have known that such things could occur.

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

If I was the kid, I'd go up to that college and beg beg beg for mercy.

Not sure how many of you have teenage children (not many, I know), but you'd be amazed at what schools now do and over what they have jurisdiction. For example, if they find pictures on FB - even if the "incident" happened off of school grounds - they can take action. I'd hate to be a teenager now.

This is not a direct referral; however, Wilson Parker, a professor at Wake's law school, specializes in this kind of stuff. He co-authored a book entitled "Ignorance is No Defense: a College Student's Guide to North Carolina Law" which talks about numerous alcohol/drug/sex related laws in North Carolina. I would try shooting him an e-mail (parkerjw@wfu.edu) if you don't have any other leads.

Thanks, HTTD

I don't know any attorneys who specifically handle this kind of issue in Charlotte, but there's an interesting article in this morning's News and Observer about a suspension of a student being overturned by the Wake County Superior Court. A group called Advocates for Children's Services won the case. You may want to Google them and the attorney mentioned in the article and see if they could help or at least point you to a lawyer in Charlotte who may be able to.

http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/03/22/1071608/judge-rules-in-favor-of-student.html

And may I say that sucks what happened. Hope he gets a fair outcome.

Thank you!

Not sure how many of you have teenage children (not many, I know), but you'd be amazed at what schools now do and over what they have jurisdiction. For example, if they find pictures on FB - even if the "incident" happened off of school grounds - they can take action. I'd hate to be a teenager now.

I've heard this from other people as well. A girl that goes to church with me is a teacher, and she cant be FB friends with anyone who is a student in her school system, even her niece and nephew.

I can't believe that can be true for a public school. Maybe private, but they can do a lot of things because of the contracts students sign to attend.

Back