• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Bosses: Educate me on Scotch

Most single malts from the Isle of Islay are very good.
Lagavulin and Laphroaig are very good examples.

Last edited:
My dad was a big single malt scotch drinker and i was introduced to it at a very early age (16).

I would suggest Oban, Laphroaig. Those two are definitely my favorites. I like Laphroaig because of the smoky flavor.

Behind a bottle (or on forums) it will tell you what the best way to drink that particular scotch is. Certain ones are best straight (no ice even), while some suggest adding some cold water. I've had one that suggested squeezing some lemon into it.

I <3 scotch.

dalwhinnie%2015%20yrs.jpg

By far my favorite. There isn't even a close second. Such a distinctive flavor.

I have never tried scotch in a sophisticated manner, I'd like to do it sometime.

I don't have anything to add except 'Pit Bosses' is an awesome and apt designation.

I think cookoutdeactoy brought me and df2009 a small bottle of scotch back from Ireland last year. I let it sit on my desk and df2009 polished it off when he was watching Crazy Heart.

Fuck, I miss college and living with df2009.

Love Dalwhinnie

Old Pulteney is the cheapest single malt around and gets the job done

Laphroig can be too smoky at times. I like scotch but feel like in cheating on bourbon when I drink it.

I'm a big Balvinie fan. the Doublewood is amazing for the price, the 15 year is fabulous and The 21 yr port wood is ridiculous.

If someone saved my life I would buy them the best, most expensive bottle of scotch I could afford. As for my own tastes, I've got a bottle of Dewars and a bottle of McAllan 12. Dewars for after work with a couple cubes of ice and a splash of water, McAllan for more special occasions, straight up.

That's about the extent of my scotch "knowledge." Would love to learn more though.

Back