• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Spring Practice #3

the_Oracle

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Spring Practice #3:

Quick Notes:
This section will give a bit of background about the day's practice

-Shorts and helmets (i.e no tackling)
-2 hours
-At the practice facility
-Perfect weather
-Mostly individual work (i.e position drills), but there was some h2h, and about 30 min of 11 v. 11

Depth Chart
In this section I'll give you guys some depth chart information. Honestly the depth chart at pretty much every position is of very little importance in spring ball, but I know you guys are curious. Instead of posting the whole thing at once I'm thinking I give you guys a couple positions each practice. Should generate more discussion that way.

-No sense in beating around the bush; quarterback is always what fans want to hear about first. The pecking order is pretty clear based on reps so far: Price, Stachitas, Cross, Thompson. I know some thought that Ted or Brendan might transfer, and Thompson might be moved back to LB, but they all are still at QB for Wake. It'll be interesting to see where Sousa slides in. Skylar watched one of the practices last week, but I did not see him today.

-It's too bad we don't have reason to use 3 punt returners. The rotation today was Camp, Harris, and Lovell Jackson. Needless to say, speed won't be an issue there.

What Stood Out
This section is basically going to be highlight plays and basic evaluations from practice.

-There was a lot of 1 v. 1 between the OL and DL (and OLBs) today. I would say that, for the OL, the top performer was Looney. No one got near the QB dummy against him. Summers, Chase and Godfrey also looked quite good. Since I know someone is going to ask...Blitch got beat a few times.
-For the DL, Nikita was the standout. He really is nearly unblockable 1on1. Dorty, Wilber, and Thompson all recorded sacks.

-In the team drills, the defense had the upper hand, which is normal for this time of year (offense doesn't normally catch up until August).
-Stachitas led the only methodical touchdown drive, capped off with a rushing touchdown where he stutter-stepped around Joey Ehrmann right in front of the goal line.
(-I say methodical because Josh Harris delivered his usual. He is good for a 50+ yard touchdown pretty much every single practice.)
-No interceptions or fumbles lost by the offense, although there were a few dropped INTs. There were a bunch of false starts and offsides.
-Camp definitely had the catch of the day. He caught a ~15 yard square in route over the middle in stride, and then hung on despite getting laid out by Wilber. Really a nice play all around...Tanner threw into a tight window, Wilber had pretty good coverage, and Camp made a heck of a catch.
-KJ and Okoro had notable pass break ups.
-Bud had an interesting day. Stuffed an off-tackle running play at the LoS, and followed that up with a pass break up. Few plays later though, he was literally bowled over by Bohanon in the open field (right in front of the offense's sideline...he heard about that one).

I think that's a pretty good start. Hopefully you guys like this feature. Let me know what you guys would like to know more about. Feel free to ask any and all questions you've got for me...if I don't answer, its either because I don't know or I can't post that info on the boards. :cool:

If you think you know who I am, great. Just keep it to yourself. No point in posting it. The bottomline is that if my identity becomes public, I won't be able to do this anymore. So I think it is in everyone's best interest to let me stay anonymous. I hope this can work out.

Thanks,

the_Oracle

Last edited:
Awesome post!

I really appreciate this :D

It's good to hear that Nikita is being a boss in practice. Hopefully it translated on the field..

Great stuff.

I heard that Joe Looney has been fantastic so far from a couple of football players.

If Nikita Whitlock is anything at all like he was last year, he really is unblockable one on one. I'm excited about the year.

Thanks a lot for the updates, hope you can keep them coming!

PS: Skylar is graduating and moving on, so he probably won't be out there much.

Great report. I really enjoyed reading that.

Awesome! Thanks for this. Great points and coverage.

Thanks the_Oracle. Great report.

The search features makes these Super Users that much better.

great report...I guess its that time of year to starting getting unrealistic expectations for next year's football

Well, that bit of free information was quite refreshing.

Thank you so much, the_Oracle!

Awesome work, mucho appreciated.

Really stoked about Nikita. Like everyone else, also eager to see how the potential Sousa-Price QB battle plays out.

the_Lectro, besides for Camp on that catch you described, did any of the other WRs stand out?

Thanks in advance.

Oh hell yes. I've had it marked on my calendar since it was announced.

I downloaded a countdown widget for my phone just so I could always know exactly how many days until the spring game. Can't WAIT.

Unexpected but much appreciated. Keep up the great work. Thanks.

Back