• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

New DC blog on interviewing Bzd

BeachBumDeac

Cheap Date
Reaction score
"I’m convinced that some of the problem he had winning over the Wake fan base is that so few people really know him. I’ve been around him dozens of times, and I can’t say I know him all that well. That was another reason I was excited about the interview, in that it was another chance to get to know him better. There are things about him I do like. He does care for his players, and he wants to do his job the right way, or at least the way he perceives to be the right way."

http://www.journalnow.net/index.php/mytakeonwake/an-hour-with-[Redacted]/

“Now that you’ve had two weeks to sort it out, how would you assess the season?’‘

Running my tape back, [Redacted] took 28 full seconds before giving his one-word response.

“Interesting,’’ he said.

“How did you arrive at interesting,’’ I prodded.

“I’ll just leave it at that,’’ [Redacted] replied.

That's pretty funny.

Why do we have to get to know a coach to like him? My "like" for a coach is directly related to the W column.

“Now that you’ve had two weeks to sort it out, how would you assess the season?’‘

Running my tape back, [Redacted] took 28 full seconds before giving his one-word response.

“FML,’’ he said.

(what I would have probably gone with)

Why do we have to get to know a coach to like him? My "like" for a coach is directly related to the W column.

Seriously. The only reason this is even brought up is because of how many losses we had.

You don't.

If a coach is winning, his relationship with the fans is irrelevant.

However, once a coach starts losing, that's when the relationship and PR is essential.

He has neither.

There have been a lot of posts about how people wouldn't mind the losing as much if the coach was young and exciting and "won" the press conference. So Bzd's personality definitely plays a role in people's dislike of him.

There have been a lot of posts about how people wouldn't mind the losing as much if the coach was young and exciting and "won" the press conference. So Bzd's personality definitely plays a role in people's dislike of him.

True, but young and exciting gives us hope of a better long term future. Things compound on one another with Bz. Again, it wouldn't really matter if the coach was winning.

Bingo!! I'd give Shaka Smart or Brad Stevens all the time they need..

“Interesting,’’ he said.

“How did you arrive at interesting,’’ I prodded.

“I’ll just leave it at that,’’ [Redacted] replied.

That's pretty funny.

It's funny that he gave a one word response that was so appropriate.

It's sad that it took nearly half a minute to get there.

Seriously. The only reason this is even brought up is because of how many losses we had.

I think Skip had a lot to do with these feelings. Recently having (and losing) such an engaging coach and person really magnifies some of Bz's deficiencies.

And in bad times, an inspiring speaker can make things seem not as bad. I think there are also concerns that a man who comes across so badly in public might have a tough time connecting with 18-22 year old kids.

I don't think its all about wins and losses.

All this raises more questions about Wellman's strategy. If he knew this was a crash and burn operation and that it could be years until we see results on the court, why was he dismissive of the need to "win the press conference".

He's got to win something.

i am sure he did know it but put yourself in his shoes. how do you effectively answer that question? not defending bz because well, his results are indefensible. His answer actually comes across pretty well. It says to me, I am pissed at myself but I can't go down that road because what I say will be interpreted as placing blame if I try to expound on my answer so I will just say something like "interesting" so that we can move on. I would have taken 28 seconds to answer a question like that too if I only won 8 client meetings out of 32.

The losing is the main thing, but being the anti-Skip in terms of communication certainly hasn't helped the man.

DC has stepped up his blogging recently. Well done.

All this raises more questions about Wellman's strategy. If he knew this was a crash and burn operation and that it could be years until we see results on the court, why was he dismissive of the need to "win the press conference".

He's got to win something.

Not if Wellman doesn't give a crap what you or I think...

Odom had no personality and he was pretty well liked by the fanbase until 98 or 99 when it became clear he wasn't going to turn the post-Duncan funk around.

I'd be fine with Bzzz having no personality if he had a track record of winning at some point in his career, had the team showing some improvement as the season progressed, or had some big time recruits locked up. He's failed on all fronts.

BuzzOUT

To me Coach Bz is a duck out of water around here, Odom was steeped in the Acc and Wake from birth. I don't think I will ever warm up to Bz even though I don't think he is a bad person just a bad hire.

The problem is you have to have the big personality to land the big recruits these days....especially when you can't overwhelm them with your resume or your on court results....

Even though, I'm over 50 it would great to have a cool young guy like Shaka running things from our sideline. That's the image Wake needs on the recruiting trail.

Back