• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Bosses Educate Me On: Multifunction Remote Controls

WhatUTalkinBout Willis

Steve Lepore
Reaction score
Right here, chained to this desk for eternity
I have a surround receiver, bose speakers (4 + a sub) PS3, cd player, dvd player, cable box, 55" lcd tv.

I want a great remote that allows my wife to make me stop killing people in Call of Duty switch easily and quickly to some crappy reality show. Help.

I will :h34rt: you long time.

Two options:

1) Harmony. Preferably the Harmony One. Although the PS3 sucks because they refused to add a $1 IR receiver which breaks almost all Universal Remotes. Harmony makes a PS3 adapter you can add. They are expensive, but worth it. Plug the Harmony into your computer, use a web interface to add your devices, and it sets them up for you. REALLY nice stuff.

2) Have an iPhone or Droid? Look into using it as a universal remote via one of the many programs out there that support it. Might be the cheapest way to a really nice solution.

Two options:

1) Harmony. Preferably the Harmony One. Although the PS3 sucks because they refused to add a $1 IR receiver which breaks almost all Universal Remotes. Harmony makes a PS3 adapter you can add. They are expensive, but worth it. Plug the Harmony into your computer, use a web interface to add your devices, and it sets them up for you. REALLY nice stuff.

2) Have an iPhone or Droid? Look into using it as a universal remote via one of the many programs out there that support it. Might be the cheapest way to a really nice solution.

Got to agree on the Harmony One. I got one for my parents because I got tired of them calling me and saying they can't get the TV, DVD, etc to work because they're not sure what they touched. Amazon has it for $165.

Back