• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dan Collins Article on Bz interview posted

Deacon2002

Reaction score
Link

Not much here nor anything controversial in my opinion other than more talk about Colorado. Will be interesting to read the actual transcript as soon as it is posted on the MTOW blog....

They have an understanding on what it takes to win? God, I fucking hate coach speak.

They won 8 out of 32 games, Buzz. I don't think they really grasp what it takes to win at this point in time. Again, I just hate coach speak.

----------
"I probably wouldn't be human if I gave you a politically correct answer by saying 'no.' " [Redacted] said. "Because I knew how painstakingly difficult it was to create that culture and to go through these young players growing up.

"And I knew that the vision that we created for that program was in a timely way, right where it is. It was our plan to be really where it is today.

"It's like building a home. You build a beautiful home, but you're not living in it. You moved out right before the paint dried."
----------

What a loser. The vision for the program was to get to MSG for the NIT. Pathetic.

I will say that "humiliated" and "embarrassing" are better words than "interesting" to describe this season.

----------
"I probably wouldn't be human if I gave you a politically correct answer by saying 'no.' " [Redacted] said. "Because I knew how painstakingly difficult it was to create that culture and to go through these young players growing up.

"And I knew that the vision that we created for that program was in a timely way, right where it is. It was our plan to be really where it is today.

"It's like building a home. You build a beautiful home, but you're not living in it. You moved out right before the paint dried."
----------

What a loser. The vision for the program was to get to MSG for the NIT. Pathetic.

I will say that "humiliated" and "embarrassing" are better words than "interesting" to describe this season.

Reid Gettys, one of the commentators on the Big 12 network, certainly didn't think [Redacted] had a vision for this year's edition of the Colorado Buffaloes making the NCAA tournament. Gettys had this to say during their Big 12 tourney game against Iowa State about Colorado's embarrassingly weak schedule this year: "When the schedule was put together by Jeff [Redacted] I'm not sure he anticipated this being an NCAA tournament team. Tad Boyle might have scheduled differently."

Humiliated and embarrassed basically sum up the season. The NIT stuff was a little strange. He should have qualified that. Though compared to our season, it seems like a dream.

It's good to know that [Redacted] is humiliated with last season, but why does he insist on us turning last season's turd into turd-lemonade with the, "understanding of what it takes to win" quote? We sucked, Jeff. Stop trying to qualify it and just move on. Coach speak sucks. I think that we will improve by 5 or 6 games next year, but I'm not buying anything he is selling yet.

Coachspeak is just the price of admission for being a sports fan (unless you have a coach like Skip).

----------

----------

Coming from where Colorado was, getting to MSG for the NIT in his first recruiting class' sophomore year was a pretty damn good goal.

Andy Katz of ESPN reported from the ACC tournament that multiple sources had told him that Wake Forest was years away from being a mid-level ACC team, prompting him to speculate that he wouldn't be surprised to see [Redacted] return to the NBA.

[Redacted] said Tuesday that won't happen.

"I have too much pride," [Redacted] said. "I'm seeing this through.

Wow, thanks coach. That's mighty decent of you. That's similar to what I would have said in a discrete call to a friend during a blind date with a fattie.

Coming from where Colorado was, getting to MSG for the NIT in his first recruiting class' sophomore year was a pretty damn good goal.

[Redacted] coached three seasons at Colorado so his first recruiting class would be juniors this year...

Also, there is no way of proving who is more responsible or not, but a lot of Colorado folks will give a lot more credit to Tad Boyle for this season's results than they did [Redacted]. Plus if [Redacted] had Colorado primed for success when he left then you would have thought they would have given serious consideration to promoting one of his assistants...

The night of the fight, you may feel a slight sting. That's pride fucking with you. Fuck pride. Pride only hurts, it never helps.

You feel that sting, big boy, huh? That's pride FUCKIN' with you! You gotta fight through that shit!

Andy Katz of ESPN reported from the ACC tournament that multiple sources had told him that Wake Forest was years away from being a mid-level ACC team, prompting him to speculate that he wouldn't be surprised to see [Redacted] return to the NBA.

[Redacted] said Tuesday that won't happen.

"I have too much pride," [Redacted] said. "I'm seeing this through.

Wow, thanks coach. That's mighty decent of you. That's similar to what I would have said in a discrete call to a friend during a blind date with a fattie.

well said... well said.

No matter what he says to the press, he'll get ripped apart. Those that hate him will find quotes to center upon that reinforces their beliefs. Those that love him will find things to support their side.

We're just now seeing how spoiled we were with Skip in regards to press clippings. We got used to not having traditional coach-speak.

The only way any of us will be close to happy is for him to win and we have several months before he gets another shot at that.

"Coach Jeff [Redacted] of Wake Forest said he has since moved on — mentally as well as physically — to a new challenge of restoring prowess and respect to the Deacons' program."

Comments like this have irritated me all year long. He walked into a program that had been to 2 straight NCAA tournaments and had improved every season under Gaudio. It comes across as very sad that the program needs to be restored to respect when it was very respected until Buzz became the coach.

I know on Dan's blog he is releasing the transcript for the hour interview piece by piece today, so there should be some painful quotes to add to as the day progresses.

"Coach Jeff [Redacted] of Wake Forest said he has since moved on — mentally as well as physically — to a new challenge of restoring prowess and respect to the Deacons' program."

Comments like this have irritated me all year long. He walked into a program that had been to 2 straight NCAA tournaments and had improved every season under Gaudio. It comes across as very sad that the program needs to be restored to respect when it was very respected until Buzz became the coach.

I know on Dan's blog he is releasing the transcript for the hour interview piece by piece today, so there should be some painful quotes to add to as the day progresses.

How did we improve from 08-09 to 09-10?

Well maybe improve is not the correct word, but how far a team goes in the post season often seems to be the indicator of the program's direction and each season it went one step further.

Well maybe improve is not the correct word, but how far a team goes in the post season often seems to be the indicator of the program's direction and each season it went one step further.

eh, IMO one game is too small a sample size to say that the direction of our program was definitely heading up.

What BBD said. Plus, I don't see how you could expect any upward trend to continue when you lose the core of your team, two NBA players, and then the shit with Tony 1 and 2 happens.

We were hoping that a team basically full of freshman could carry us, and this is pretty unrealistic for most 4 star and below freshmen imo.

It was definitely a rebuilding job. No other way to look at it. The NBA defections left us in that state.

Back