• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pastor removed from Church for not believing in Hell

Deadbolt

Reaction score
I found this story somewhat interesting. There's been a lot of stories lately in the news of people being rejected based on their beliefs not lining up perfectly with the rest of denominational dogmas. I know Christians fighting about the minor details of the faith is nothing new, but maybe it'll spark some interesting debate here.

http://www.wral.com/news/state/story/9319710/

"But when you hear the word 'Christian,' you don't necessarily think, 'Oh, sure, those are the people who don't stop talking about God's love.' Some other things would come to mind."

Way too true

"But when you hear the word 'Christian,' you don't necessarily think, 'Oh, sure, those are the people who don't stop talking about God's love.' Some other things would come to mind."

Way too true

Undoubtedly.

"A married Navy veteran with five children, Holtz spent years trying to reconcile his belief that Jesus Christ's death on the cross redeemed the entire world with the idea that millions of people — including millions who had never even heard of Jesus — were suffering forever in hell."

In high school, I went through a similar dilemma. It didn't make any sense that someone born a thousand years before JC would be condemned, nor did it make sense that some Buddhist monk who lived a peaceful, good life would be condemned to torture.

I can see where church leaders would be upset though. Hell is a very powerful tool; threaten people with it and you can scare them into converting. Without hell and eternal punishment, what purpose is there for accepting JC as your savior? With no hell, no torture, there is nothing that he needs to save you from.

"Church members had also been unhappy with Internet posts about subjects like gay marriage and the mix of religion and patriotism, Holtz said, and the hell post was probably the last straw. "

Sounds like it was more than just his beliefs about hell that got him fired. Questioning church doctrine was probably the thing they needed to give him the boot.

Its not up to us to judge who goes where, you can only focus on what you chose to believe or not believe.

Its not up to us to judge who goes where

Bullshit, fucko. It's completely up to me. And let me tell you, you dirty, twat-banging, beaver-munching, buzzard queef of a fuck-stick: you're goin' straight to hell. I know because I work the door and you're on the goddamned guest list.

my wife has asked me this before. I don't think people who aren't Christian go to hell for that fact. Surely the God that Christians believe in is compassionate to understand that others have other beliefs, as long as they are following the moral code of their religion, i think its semantics after that.

my wife has asked me this before. I don't think people who aren't Christian go to hell for that fact. Surely the God that Christians believe in is compassionate to understand that others have other beliefs, as long as they are following the moral code of their religion, i think its semantics after that.

So it's just the non-believers in anything who are fucked?

Back