• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Family Guy, South Park, etc.

BillBrasky

#PSF
Reaction score
Does anyone still find these shows funny? Because I cannot stand hearing anybody quoting either one of them. I mean it was funny like 5-10 years ago sure. But enough already.

Family Guy no.

South Park sometimes.

Remember these Family Guy, South Park comments will be coming from the same people who think its funny to quote the Simpsons "We welcome our new _______ overloads" which is even less funny and relevant than both those shows.

Family guy is the WORST.

Enjoy the other two, but quoting them is not ok.

I find it pretty funny that the "Homer Simpson effect" is actually referenced about 1000 times a day after the nuclear reactor crisis in Japan.

It amazes me how timely and relevant South Park is to current issues in politics, pop culture, and world news. They'll frequently satirize an issue within months of it occurring, lending to its humour. I don't think S.P. has the same ability to incite laughs without poking fun at (relatively) recent events in the American cultural milieu. To reinforce this, just look at The Simpsons. Because of their animating technique, they are at the mercy of a 6 month lapse between start to finish for an episode, severely limiting trending topics that once would have been a more entertaining subject rather than a rehashed nostalgia for a cultural infestation that had already exhausted its 15 minutes of fame.

That being said, I still hold that Trey Parker and Matt Stone are comedic geniuses. They recently wrote a Broadway musical satirizing Mormons and it has garnered ubiquitously positive reviews.

I still watch every new episode of South Park but they have usually only one or two strong episodes per season anymore. Definitely not as good as it was 8-9 years ago.

South Park peaked around seasons 7-10, IMO, but still puts up good stuff. I think they sometimes try too hard to deal with current events, considering that their better episodes ("Awesome-O", "Marjorine", and the one where they play baseball, for example) don't deal with any issues really.

I could talk about this all day, but Family Guy is the worst, WORST, goddamn show on television. I loved the first couple seasons, because it seemed to embrace the fact that it was stupid, and there was no real reasoning behind anything. I feel like in the last 5 years, the show got pretty mean-spirited.

[42yr old coworker]HEY DID YOU SEE SOUTHPARK LAST NIGHT?!??

[me]
RyuShoryuken.jpg

South Park peaked around seasons 7-10, IMO, but still puts up good stuff. I think they sometimes try too hard to deal with current events, considering that their better episodes ("Awesome-O", "Marjorine", and the one where they play baseball, for example) don't deal with any issues really.

I could talk about this all day, but Family Guy is the worst, WORST, goddamn show on television. I loved the first couple seasons, because it seemed to embrace the fact that it was stupid, and there was no real reasoning behind anything. I feel like in the last 5 years, the show got pretty mean-spirited.

Exactly right about South Park. Personally I think the 5th season is the best, but 7-10 were all very solid. Since then I think they've run out of interesting topics so they just stick with sending up pop culture, which in their shows is getting more and more obscure.

I still watch Family Guy and The Simpsons and even The Cleveland Show. They are good for some giggles and like 24 minutes of time wasting.

For me, the Simpsons jumped the shark years ago. Family Guy was fantastic until last season. Then it slumped. This is season is nothing short of terrible. I still record it but I've deleted the last two episodes before they were even half over. It's sad because the writing used to be so creative. Now it's just devoid of humor. I mean, the whole Carter on the backhoe vs the park bench? 5 minutes of WTF.

I liked South Park when it first came out and I still love the profane irreverence of Parker/Stone but when 10 year olds are watching and quoting it, something's askew.

I still watch Family Guy and The Simpsons and even The Cleveland Show. They are good for some giggles and like 24 minutes of time wasting.

I'm kind of the same way. I watch them just because they're good ways to waste time or good fillers when nothing else is on TV. They can all have pretty funny parts but I wouldn't go out of my way to watch any of them.

I still think South Park is a brilliant TV show although they only have 1-3 episodes per year that are good. I still think Margaritaville is one of the best South Park episodes ever. Randy Marsh is the most underrated character in the history of Television. It's like how the Simpsons used to be about Bart but then they realized everyone really likes Homer and now the show is all about Homer.

I used to love Family Guy, but now I can't freakin stand it. Finally took it off auto DVR a few months ago when I realized it.

I care less what y'all watch at home, just don't ever quote any of it in front of me.

Oh and Captain I'm 24 and I'm judging other twenty-somethings that do it. If a 42 year old dropped a line from South Park on me I'd probably ask Social Services to take his kids.

Back