• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Full transcript of Dan Collins interview

BobStackFan4Life

Reaction score
MTOW: Do you give specific off-season instructions to each player?

JB: I do coach here, Dan. I do coach here. I do coach here.

MTOW: I was just wondering if that’s part of being the coach of Wake Forest, you feel like. Where you tell each player, I want you to work on this and this.

JB: Dan I do coach. Really, I’m getting a little irritated. I do coach...
WTF?
http://www.journalnow.net/index.php/mytakeonwake/

That is kind of an insulting question since it implies that a coach doesn't or isn't doing that.

It's like asking a finance person if they can use excel.

Neither side came off looking good in that interview. Dan asked some dumbass questions that would offend most coaches and Buzz had some bitchy responses

From Dan's Blog yesterday:

"He can also take offense at a moment’s notice, even if none was intended. I picked that up this season when Mike Shalin, a writer we hired to cover Wake’s game at Boston College. asked him if the Deacons could enter the ACC Tournament playing as though they had nothing to lose. They were, after all, 1-15 in the ACC, seeded No. 12 and had just lost by 16 to the team they were destined to play four days later.

[Redacted]’s response, which you may have read, was to the effect that he’s never approached any game not thinking he could win, and to intimate he had disrespected him as a coach. I don’t believe Shalin intimated any such thing. I’ve heard the same question asked a gadzillion times in my years as a sportswriter and never seen a person respond in that manner.

So I wasn’t totally surprised when [Redacted] rared up in a similar fashion to a question I asked yesterday. But one of the things I came to like about [Redacted] through his most trying of all seasons is he can’t carry a grudge past the next question. I’ve known so many coaches who, having been asked a question they didn’t like, completely shut the interview down and stormed off. With [Redacted], a question later he’s back in the groove and answering questions as though there had never been any contentiousness in the first place."

Neither side came off looking good in that interview. Dan asked some dumbass questions that would offend most coaches and Buzz had some bitchy responses

Yep. Usually Dan goes out of his way to suck up to coaches, but he was straight up trolling him in some of that interview. :laugh:

Jeff [Redacted] said:
JB: If you examine the make-up of this team, so often we started off well. We were motivated, we were prepared, excited to play. There were many games in which we were within one or two possessions. We started off against Duke where we’re up 18-13. At Carolina, down eight and we steal the ball. Down four at N.C. State in the second half. Maybe even within four against Duke in the second half. You look at some games, and we started out OK. Even at Boston College, we’re up 27-23. Now here’s what happened. What happens is we’re not mentally tough enough when teams make a run to combat that and withstand. We would lose confidence quickly, coupled with the fact we’re not strong enough or mature enough. How many times did we layups or opportunities to finish and just missed, and then they’d go down and make it. We’d come down at get another opportunity to the rim, miss it. You know how many layups we missed. You saw that. So as time would go on, as the game would continue on, we just weren’t quite strong enough mentally or physically, and the game would slowly get away from us. We’d come within four and all of a sudden they’d go on a 6-0 run and now we’re down 10. We would score, cut it to eight, and they would go on another 4-0 run. Now we’re down 12 or 14. The next thing you know it happens again and we’re down 18. Now we need to get tougher, mentally and physically. That will happen through maturity. There’s nothing more I can say.

I wonder why the players lost confidence in themselves? Hmmmm...

This is just horrendous. I keep thinking that maybe he just had an off day when I hear him speak, but this is just too much

He needs to stop doing interviews. There will be outcry of course, but he's incapable of expressing himself right now w/o coming across as hyper-defensive.

MTOW: I saw Melvin Tabb recently and he said he was back in the fold. Is he?

JB: If he continues to progress the way we want him to progress throughout the spring.

MTOW: So no final decision has been made?

JB: Melvin needs to progress the way we want him to throughout the spring.

MTOW: Are you confident that he will?

JB: That’s on him, not on me.

Ass.
Hole.

JB: I spend quality time every week with my players individually and collectively, discussing and teaching to help them get better. We’ve been on the court, they’re in the weight room. I had them each in here (Monday) individually, the whole day watching tapes from the Sweet 16 games.

Well watching video from the future would seem to be beneficial

Wait... the Sweet 16 games have already been played? I'm going to call Buzz first. Then call my bookie.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ BuzzIN!

Hmm, I just finished reading the whole thing. It definitely seemed to get better as it went along (less defensive). The question about building support from the WFU fanbase had a pretty good answer imo.

I guess we shouldn't really expect Bz to know the difference between second/third round games and the Sweet Sixteen. It's not like he has experience with any of them.

MTOW: I saw Melvin Tabb recently and he said he was back in the fold. Is he?

JB: If he continues to progress the way we want him to progress throughout the spring.

MTOW: So no final decision has been made?

JB: Melvin needs to progress the way we want him to throughout the spring.

MTOW: Are you confident that he will?

JB: That’s on him, not on me.

Ass.
Hole.

he's honest and you call him an asshole. When he gives coachspeak you get pissed that he's not being more honest.

I'm guessing if Bz hadn't gone all spazzy on him, DC would have asked more specific follow up questions. He just never had a chance.

The only possible answers are "I do coach" and "Yeah, duh". DC should have just asked what kind of individual instructions were given out.

"That's on him, not me" is the part I think he was being an asshole. I was fine with it until then.

That's not being honest, that's just being a dick.

Back