• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WTF Is Wrong With These Parents

BillBrasky

#PSF
Reaction score
http://www.kxlh.com/news/fl-parents-protest-over-student-s-peanut-allergy/

Are you serious? You can't have your children leaving their lunches outside, rinsing their mouths out after lunch, and/or disinfecting their desks to protect this girl's life?

That is absolutely nothing to ask in order to give a 1st grader a normal childhood. Instead the other parents are protesting and asking that she be forced to be homeschooled because of her life threatening peanut allergy, and how it would alter their child's schoolday.

Would this not be the perfect way to teach the act of compassion to your children, by having them put the interests of others in front of their own? This is absolutely unbelievable.

And the worst part is that the school has backed off the requirement of rinsing out each student's mouth, the most controversial issue, and most parents are still protesting.

I wish everyone of these parents had had a miscarriage instead of child. They do not deserve to be parents. Fuck them straight to hell. I cannot wait for their kids to grow and become selfish, spoiled brats so the parents can thank themselves for the way they turned out.

END RANT

I agree with you ces (minus that last paragraph - harsh bro).

The American public education system has made great strides to teach all children in their least restrictive environment. If the parents got their way in this case, it would go against the spirit of IDEA (and ADA), although a peanut allergy isn't necessarily comparable with a learning disability or a developmental disorder.

Aight I back off the miscarriage statement because the kids don't deserve to be a part of it, but I do hope that all the protesting parents instantly become infertile. Is that better?

Last edited:
a kid in my wifes 5th grade class had bad peanut allergies. same type of thing - no foods with peanut in the classroom, desks wiped down, etc.

no parents had a problem, it was dealt with by all the students, everyone was happy.

I had a nice long message typed out, but my spell check nuked it. Short version: 30 minutes spent catering to any specific student no matter what condition they have multiplied by 180 school days = 90 hours spent catering on a single student. Assuming an average length school day to be 7 hours; 90/7 almost equals 13 full school days annually spent on this single child by every other student. 12 years of schooling would equal 156 days. This kid should be home schooled. At minimum, fully explain the situation to the fellow students and let them vote on it. Majority wins.

Another solution:

BubbleBoy1.jpg

I'm not saying this case is bogus but I think it's very odd that SO many kids seem to have peanut allergies these days. I love peanut butter, so it makes me a bit sad to know that my hypothetical children will likely never be allowed to have a PB&J sandwich in their school lunch. I guess it'll just have to be an "at home only" food.

Don't think it's a bad thing anyway to have kids wash their hands more often.

I'm not saying this case is bogus but I think it's very odd that SO many kids seem to have peanut allergies these days. I love peanut butter, so it makes me a bit sad to know that my hypothetical children will likely never be allowed to have a PB&J sandwich in their school lunch. I guess it'll just have to be an "at home only" food.

Don't think it's a bad thing anyway to have kids wash their hands more often.

There has to be some term for overcoming natural selection. Humans have jumped that hurdle (for better or worse).

I don't know if I agree with protesting and would hope it could be handled in a better way, but 30 minutes is a long time to spend catering to one student. I'm all for giving a child a chance at a normal childhood, but if this girl has that severe of a peanut allergy then she isn't normal and to be quite honest, all that effort probably isn't doing that much good.

Maybe each state should have a central public "Peanut Free" school location; elementary, middle, and high. There are plenty of other special needs schools.

I had a nice long message typed out, but my spell check nuked it. Short version: 30 minutes spent catering to any specific student no matter what condition they have multiplied by 180 school days = 90 hours spent catering on a single student. Assuming an average length school day to be 7 hours; 90/7 almost equals 13 full school days annually spent on this single child by every other student. 12 years of schooling would equal 156 days. This kid should be home schooled. At minimum, fully explain the situation to the fellow students and let them vote on it. Majority wins.

First of all I seriously doubt that it takes up 30 minutes of the day to not bring peanut butter to school and to wash hands and disinfect desks. The quote is from one of the protesting moms, who is probably embellishing so that she doesn't seem like the worst person on Earth.

Secondly even if it takes 30 mins to incorporate all of the precautions, I believe it is well worth it. The kids are in freaking first grade. The lesson of compassion that could be taught by allowing her to remain in the class could easily supplant part of the 2-3 hours in which the children do nothing to enhance their academic learning experience. In first grade teachers are still playing the role of babysitter most of the time.

And finally you want to leave the vote up to first graders? Seriously? Actually do it, they are probably more mature than their parents and wouldn't want to kick this little girl out of their class.

I don't know if I agree with protesting and would hope it could be handled in a better way, but 30 minutes is a long time to spend catering to one student. I'm all for giving a child a chance at a normal childhood, but if this girl has that severe of a peanut allergy then she isn't normal and to be quite honest, all that effort probably isn't doing that much good.

I agree. All it would take is one full body sneeze from a pro peanut kid to take this girl out. If you were her parent, would you want to risk it?

Also I hope when these kids get to middle and high school that they aren't exposed to kids who are in wheel chairs or scooters. God forbid they have to wait on them to go up the ramp and down the hallway. They only have five minutes to get to class!

Also I hope when these kids get to middle and high school that they aren't exposed to kids who are in wheel chairs or scooters. God forbid they have to wait on them to go up the ramp and down the hallway. They only have five minutes to get to class!

add all the time up, and they probably spend an hour every day waiting on some crippled kid.

No peanuts in the class.....fine, that's not difficult and it's easily understood
Wipe down desks....I guess, it doesn't take much time to pass out handiwipes
Wash hands...maybe before coming to class in the morning, but everytime you come and go is a little much. This has to be a systemiatic thing and someone has to supervise it. With first graders that takes time
Rinse your mouth out? That's where I see this getting a little much. Again, it's something that has to be systematic and it takes time.

If she's that allergic then all of these steps are probably just false protection. My kid could've eaten peanut butter yesterday gotten some on his hands which he wiped on his jeans. He might wear the same jeans tomorrow and bam....there's an invisible smear of peanut butter on his jeans that no one knows about.

Last edited:
Back