• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Pit Boss Series

OldGoldBeard

A Sorry WR Like Crabtree
Reaction score
Pit Boss Series--Need a volunteer for Mon 3/28

Ported from the Quad. I've basically just copied and pasted the old thread, along with the volunteers, although I'm sure some people haven't/won't make it over here. If you're still in, plese give me a confirmation. We didn't have anyone scheduled past this date, so if you want to PROVIDE A FREAKING DATE FOR YOUR LECTURE, that would be great. We could always use more lecturers, so don't be shy about signing up.

Stupid? Depressed? Failed to establish your Pit niche? Just want to show off? Then the Pit Boss Series is right for you. Everyone knows a lot about something, and now is the time to share it with the five other people who care and dozens and dozens more who don't.

What is PBS, you ask? Shut up and I'll tell you. PBS is the absolute latest in message board education. Each week (or more often, as the lecturers dictate), a poster will begin a lecture thread in which he or she will give a multi-day discourse on a particular topic. For a suggested model, see TWDeac's astronomy thread here, although the format is completely up to the discretion of the lecturer. Once the lecture posts are completed, an entire day will be dedicated to answering the questions you, the very people of the Pit, have to ask.

Anyone and everyone is welcome to sign up. Topics can be practically anything you imagine: science, art, music, pop culture, history, physical activities, sports, you name it. When you sign up, please indicate your topic of choice and a very general timeframe on when you'd like to give the lecture. For example, I'm signing up right now:

BKF: WF basketball 1958-1985
Zzzz: Venice/cult classic movies/wine
DrewMarkham: Road to WWII, 1933-1941; spring
TR1982: religious philosophy; March 14
BrianFellows: lending
Waldo: Living in Bizarre Places
NGArep: James Bond; early February
Dagreek: video game history/travelogue
Deacbird: emergent aircraft technologies
Doofus: something
Smoove: acting/Shakespeare
Tbolt: chicken farming/Swaziland/Jesus stuff
HTTD: history of Wake Forest;
SCD, co-starring Smoove: Shakespeare
Various: how universities work
WF03: International law and human rights
TSY: Fire/Rescue/Emergency Medical Service in America
Hulka: Genetics of Mitochondrial Disease
DV7: Sherlock Holmes, Feb/early March
Norcal: Educational Inequality and the current ed reform movement/debates
Rideac: Social Media and how to effectively use it to leverage and enhance a brand
Siff: what happens when your credit card is stolen
ChrisL: taxes
Vadimivich: Eastern and Central Europe

WFUStudent: bankruptcy (tentative)

Thanks to:
Townie: Renaissance Italian Art; December 27
OGB: American Civil War; January 3rd
Freekn: finance/LBO; January 10th
DantheDeacsFan: Living in a Yellow Submarine; January 17
BDer: customer service; January 24
HTTD: Hattrick; January 31
PhDeac: sociological theory as it pertains to race, education, or sports; February 7
Appetite: something about Conceptual Statistics; February 14
HeltonCreek: Fly fishing for trout; February 21
TWDeac: astronomy/WoW; February 28
Maplewood: Accountable Care Organization; March 7

If you don't think your topic is interesting enough, get confident, stupid, then sign up anyway. People have a vested interest in seeing their lecture succeed, so they're going to post questions and show interest in yours. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me or ask them in the thread.

PBS: Bringing Culture to the Pit since 2011

Last edited:
OGB - perhaps someone else can take my topic. I would say I'm very well-versed, but I would need to do a considerable amount of research (and re-reading of the History of Wake Forest volumes) to come up with something respectable.

Secondly, I would be happy to join the conglomeration that is lecturing on the inner-workings of higher education. I've got 6 years working in several departments at Wake.

I apparently can't edit a title in this forum, but somebody needs to step up to the plate and volunteer for next week if we want to keep this thing going.

Bump. Anyone interested in hosting one of these?

Back