• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Alternatives to Turbo Tax?

myDeaconmyhand

First man to get a team of horses up Bear Mountain
Reaction score
I've been filing with Turbo Tax for the last 4 years, and I have had no problem with it, but I do wonder if I could be getting a larger return. Does anyone have any relatively cheap online recommendations?

I used H&R Block online, worked well for me. Free unless you have really complicated stuff or want extra guidance.

Unless you have particularly complicated taxes, Turbo Tax, H&R Block, TaxAct, etc. will all put you in the same exact place - they all ask the same questions. And if you have particularly complicated taxes, I would go to an accountant. I use which ever one of the online services I can get for the cheapest (and I'm a tax lawyer).

Unless you have particularly complicated taxes, Turbo Tax, H&R Block, TaxAct, etc. will all put you in the same exact place - they all ask the same questions. And if you have particularly complicated taxes, I would go to an accountant. I use which ever one of the online services I can get for the cheapest (and I'm a tax lawyer).

Did you get your LLM?

I use taxbrain. Cheap and never had a problem. They always have a discount code as well.

I've heard good things about taxslayer. I've never used it though.

My taxes are pretty simple, so I will just stick to Turbo Tax since it's comparable to everything else. Thanks for the help everybody.

Did you get your LLM?

No LLM - didn't really know I was going to do tax (really estate planning, but I've been stuck in Subchapter K hell for the past couple of weeks) until after I got to work and while sometimes I think it would be useful (for example, when I am neck deep in the 737 regs), I definitely don't think it would be worth being out of practice for a year (or 9 months or whatever).

Back