• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Masters (Opinion)

Deac2010

Reaction score
Heyo Pit, I need help.

Looks like I'm going to the Masters again this year and I think its going to be on Sunday. From what I hear, there is a mad number of people there on Sunday.

Here is the question - would you rather get there really really early and run to the 18th green and sit there all day or walk around Augusta National and follow golfers you like?

I have been there on a Friday before and have walked a lot of holes but not seen play on nearly half the holes. Also, if I sit at the 18th all day, I would be watching the birds till the first pair gets there (which is pretty late).

I've never been to a golfing event, but sitting on my ass for hours on end to POTENTIALLY see something exciting does not sound like fun. I would walk around the holes.

totally depends on your MO..... in the final round of tournaments I like sitting on one of the first holes to watch the entire field come through...then I go to one of the later holes and watch everyone come through again (granted I also plant my second chair on the later hole so I have a nice seat waiting for me).

Whenever I go to a golf tournament that's the problem I typically have. I've actually really enjoyed sitting close to a hole (yeah, good one!) to be honest. One year I met Tiger's wife (ooooppppssssss), but I've met a lot of golfers that way too. You can get right up close and see everybody. But it honestly is a matter of opinion. If you like a guy enough to follow him the whole way, more power to you.

totally depends on your MO..... in the final round of tournaments I like sitting on one of the first holes to watch the entire field come through...then I go to one of the later holes and watch everyone come through again (granted I also plant my second chair on the later hole so I have a nice seat waiting for me).

That is actually a great idea. As loong as people don't mess with your chair (and I know they don't at The Masters), I can get the best of both.

Go set your chair up in the roped off seating section at 18 and walk around until the action heats up.

Yea, only problem is that they don't let you bring your own chairs (unless you bought one from them previous years). I guess I'm going to have to suck it up because I want to be close to Tiger when he puts that green jacket on.

You gotta buy one of the chairs. They are pretty cheap. I love mine and use it a lot throughout the rest of the year.

I'm not going this year. I've been several times in the past. I want to say the chairs are around $30, maybe $25. I bought mine a few years ago.

I've done both, on Saturdays and Sundays. All-in-all, I enjoy following groups and kind of timing where we are based on which pairings are coming around to whichever nearby wholes. While sitting at one spot is great, especially around Amen, I more enjoy seeing the whole course. I feel like I get a greater feel and more memories when we're going everywhere. It gets tiring, but there is simply nothing like Augusta in any sport, anywhere.

The one time I went, I posted in the bleachers on 15 green after walking around for a couple hours following golfers I liked. Great view of both the 15th approaches and the 16th tee shots

Tough problem to have. I'm jeal.

Depends on what you want to get out of the event and how knowledgeable you are about Augusta.

If you've never been to Augusta before, you might enjoy walking around the entire course because it is one of the most fantastic and famous sports venues there is. There are just certain things you have to see. I go to #1 tee box, #10 green, Amen Corner, and #9 green every year.

If you're partial to a particular golfer or there's a grouping that really catches your eye, you might want to follow them throughout their entire round, especially if he/they're in a position to make a charge up the leaderboard. My dad's favorite Masters memory of all time was following Jack Nicklaus on Sunday in 1986. He and my uncle picked up Jack on #2 green and watched every shot he hit that day. Admittedly, the crowds were a little different back then, but if you're smart about it, you can see your favorite golfers hit some great shots.

If you're a huge golfer, there are some places to you might want to go to watch the best golfers in the world tackle the hardest golf course. Second shot on #2, hitting into #3 green, hitting into #10 green, and approach shot on #15 all come to mind, but there's a lot of them out there.

Honestly, no day at Augusta is a bad day unless you misbehave. Respect the course, respect the event, and respect the game, please.

I'd get there early, put a chair on #16 green, and follow groups until the top of the leader board gets to #14 or so...hearing the roars on #15 when someone eagles then watching them stick it tight on #16 is great.

The one time I went, I posted in the bleachers on 15 green after walking around for a couple hours following golfers I liked. Great view of both the 15th approaches and the 16th tee shots

That's exactly what I did last year on Sunday.

You might have trouble buying a chair, or anything else, on Sunday. The merch shop was pretty cleaned out on Sunday and they had a bunch of odd sizes, etc, but definintely no chairs left.

I usually go earlier in the week.

Last year I started on the #1 tee box and saw eight groups tee off. I then moved to the #8 green and saw the same eight putt. Then I moved to amen corner and saw most of them on the fairway. After that we moved to #16 and then #18. I've seen Augusta, but not nearly the who course.

I think I'm going to buy the chair and put it on #18, in view of the green and then walk around. #18 is not as spectacular as other holes, but since its sunday, I think I want to see the winner finish.

not a golfer by any means, but is it dickish to put a chair somewhere and just leave it for hours claiming a spot? Not hating, just questioning.

not a golfer by any means, but is it dickish to put a chair somewhere and just leave it for hours claiming a spot? Not hating, just questioning.

No, its not really dickish. It's disrespectful to move the chair, you can still use it. I've seen people sit in other people's chairs when they were not present. You just have to give it up when the person gets there.

Just part of the tourney experience. I do it sometimes at tournaments and essentially let others use my chairs until I come back.

Back