• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Brad Stevens

I was totally about to post this thread....

Where/when will he leave Butler?

Championship game in 2010, at LEAST Elite Eight in 2011

I wonder how much we offered? If we put $1.7 on the table and he turned it down more power to him, but if we didn't at least offer that I would be very disappointed.

I wonder how much we offered? If we put $1.7 on the table and he turned it down more power to him, but if we didn't at least offer that I would be very disappointed.

I really don't think it was a money issue. I think he just wanted to stay at Butler.

I really don't think it was a money issue. I think he just wanted to stay at Butler.

I really hope this is the case (and I think you are probably right). He obviously made the right decision much to my chagrin.

If it was just $ then he would have gone to Oregon.

I agree. He has a much brighter future at Butler than he would have had at Wake. Kudos to him.

If it was just $ then he would have gone to Oregon.

Yup...I was about to say that he also turned down Oregon. I think he wants to build something at Butler, and he has certainly gotten himself a fantastic start.

The man can coach, motivate and WIN!!!
This is Why....
He understands his strengths and uses them
He can hide his weakness
He knows how to breakdown game film and exploit the opponent's weaknesses.

I am a Gator fan too but it wouldn't kill me to see them head to the final 4 again.

He's a smart coach...see KenPom's last article about the 2 for 1. He understands the game of basketball and the statistics behind it, and that is why he is a winner.

Yup...I was about to say that he also turned down Oregon. I think he wants to build something at Butler, and he has certainly gotten himself a fantastic start.

Who do you think it would take to come calling for him to leave before he builds something at Butler?

He wouldn't be playing to make his second straight Final Four if he had taken the Wake job.

Butler is a better program than Wake right now. We just have to admit it. They've had postseason success with different coaches and I think they've found their guy for the next 30 years. I used to think he'd be the guy to take over for K, but he could build his own dynasty at Butler.

He was being offered Phil Knight/Oregon money last year and turned it down. I think he stays put.

So, hypothetically, let's say Stevens is similar to coach K at a similar age/point in his career (I was an infant when K took over at Duke, so i don't know how accurate the comparison is). Do you think Stevens can stay at Butler and create a year-in year-out juggernaut like K did at Duke? Or does the fact that they don't play in a power conference relegate them to perennial Cinderella status a-la Gonzaga (but better since they make elite 8's/final 4's)?

I guess my question is how much does the conference hurt the chances of Stevens staying there long-term?

The conference doesn't matter as much as it used to. If he makes the Final Four again, I think he'll have a ton of support from ESPN to schedule elite opponents in the non-con. I think they'll also elevate the Horizon League as well.

Could he win more championships by taking over for K at Duke? Sure. Does he have no chance to win them at Butler? Definitely not.

Right. He is coaching one of 8 teams left in the tournament this year, after coaching 1 of 2 teams with a chance last year. He certainly has a chance to win a title.

The man is on the road to having multiple massive statues built in his honor at Butler.

Imagine is this team still had Jimmy Chitwood -- Heyward, or whatever it was. Wow.

I adore this coach.

Back