• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Spring Practice #4

the_Oracle

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Here is the write-up on Spring Practice #4:

Quick Notes:

-First day of full pads...still not tackling though
-2 hours
-At the practice facility
-Bit cooler and overcast today, still great practice weather but the wind meant the wall was near empty
-Similar schedule as Tuesday
-Special teams focus today was kickoff coverage. I meant to note on Tuesday that the ST focus was punt cover.

Depth Chart

-Lets talk about the offensive line today. I know a lot of people think that this unit is the key to the offense. And the performance of one Steed Lobotzke seems to be of some interest around these parts. Here are the 1s and 2s, as of today, going from left-to-right across the line:

1s) Godfrey, Looney, Williams, Hoag, Weaver
2s) Chase, Ford, Raines, Summers, Blitch

Looney is obviously a lock to start. I think Godfrey and Weaver are safe as well. Center position is relatively wide open since Nenon graduated, and it would not be a surprise imo if Summers passed Hoag. I would also expect 1-2 injured players (such as Irby or Bolling) to crack the 2-deep eventually.

In the Trenches
It's fairly difficult to evaluate the line play during the team drills; I typically watch the QB/ball. So the OL/DL evals will primarily come from their h2h drills (which means I won't be able to see too much of 7on7), while the skill position evals will primarily come from the team drills.
Based on popular demand, I am going to try to balance out the notable positives with negatives. So:

Notably good: Looney, Nikita, Thompson, Summers
Notably poor: Hoag, Chase, Blitch, Ford

Looney has still not allowed anyone near the QB dummy. Summers has been winning the vast majority of his reps as well. Nikita got stopped once today (I think it was by Raines) but was his typical self overall. Thompson absolutely abused Hoag. I was disappointed by Chase today. Got beat a couple times. And Blitch and Ford looked overmatched.

Skill Position Thoughts / Team Drill Results
-I thought the offense struggled a good bit again today. Don't remember a single completed pass more than 20 yards down the field. On the flip side, I guess you could say the secondary played very well.
-Josh Harris had a couple 20+ yard runs, but was held without a TD for once.
-Terence Davis made a couple of very nice catches. Definitely the most impressive WR of the day.
-I know you guys will love this: Tanner completed a couple passes on designed rollouts to the left.
-Defense ended one of the two-minute drills with a fumble recovery; I couldn't tell who made the play though unfortunately
-No INTs
-1 fumbled snap (was a bit high but Tanner probably could have corralled it)
-Coaches seemed very happy with the play of Okoro and Quarles in particular from the secondary.

Next update will be on Saturday.

I'm going to the Wake Soccer spring game tomorrow and if I give a description 1/2 this good, I'll consider it a job well done.

TRUE oracle...you are awesome and I thank you. Goodnight.

I love hearing about the positives and negatives. Great stuff. Thanks!

Very good writeup. I've never seen this level of detail in two subsequent posts. Keep up the good work!

Someone refresh my memory, which side of the line does Looney play?

Great write-up Oracle, much appreciated.

ETA: Nevermind, just found it in the OP. Reading comprehension is key.

I'm going to the Wake Soccer spring game tomorrow and if I give a description 1/2 this good, I'll consider it a job well done.

TRUE oracle...you are awesome and I thank you. Goodnight.

This would be amazing. Much, much appreciated.

Thanks for the info! Keep it coming...expecting a solid season from our Deacs this year!

Back