• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

final 4 teams and nba

The NBA analysis is solid but a retrospective analysis...if you want predictive look at McDonalds All Americans:
  • Since 1978 78% of Final Four participants had a McD on their roster
  • 89% of teams that played in the Championship game had a McD
  • 97% of the National Champions had a McD

the sock joke just never gets old, does it? Not if you suck at humor anyway.

The sock joke is like those horrific 12:20 Saturday Night Live sketches in which you feel sorry for everyone involved. Bit of advice for those thinking of sock posts, that horse is not just beaten, it's already glue.

The sock joke is like those horrific 12:20 Saturday Night Live sketches in which you feel sorry for everyone involved. Bit of advice for those thinking of sock posts, that horse is not just beaten, it's already glue.

+1

It sucks that our AD uses that as part of the "culture" we're building here. Proper sock wearing, great Job Ron! Really hit the nail on the head of what the problem is here at Wake Forest.

Hey don't shoot the messenger. Wellman could have just come out and said he wanted a coach who wasn't suspected of slaying teh coed hoodratz, but instead he kept it classy and vague and now we need a culture change. Just like beatings, sock jokes will continue until morale improves.

the sock joke doesn't get old only because jaybone has such a burr up his ass about it

it's just not a good joke. It was a good joke for a week.

The sad part to me is the realities of where it came from and the obliviousness of what exactly discipline entails. Make fun of socks all you want, funny or not. But the real truth is that Arizona embarrassed Duke last night not because they could shoot 3s, but because they were simply bigger, stronger, and fitter. They out-muscled them. They wore them down. Ryan Kelly had no chance. Nolan Smith was dominated. Only the Plumlees, and maybe Singler stood tall. And as several Arizona players said after the game, you could trace it back to a team circling the wagons after last year, manning up, believing in their coach, and hitting the weight room every fucking morning at 6AM ready to kick ass. That's why the beat Duke, and the satisfaction from knowing that their collective commitment is what persevered is going to serve them for the rest of their lives.

We had a team that didn't know how to properly use a knife and fork, much less practice and work hard. This isn't about socks or bad AAU coaches who never said no, this about kids most without fathers or role models who could do at least one thing well that got them to this place, and now that they're here, they have to be taught how to conduct themselves as men whose aim is basically just one thing: success. To get there, they need to believe and they absolutely have to be disciplined.

And if they do, all the pansy ass douchebags who have been joking about socks for the last four months and I am sure up until then will go ape shit over our level of commitment and discipline oblivious to their two-facedness.

The sock joke is a disservice to both team sports and comedy!

Last edited:
Alright folks,

Time to send it back to Jaybone in our New York studios for his take.

mr "i know a scout," i never said the actual joke was funny.

but your hissy fits about it are.......

it's just not a good joke. It was a good joke for a week.

The sad part to me is the realities of where it came from and the obliviousness of what exactly discipline entails. Make fun of socks all you want, funny or not. But the real truth is that Arizona embarrassed Duke last night not because they could shoot 3s, but because they were simply bigger, stronger, and fitter. They out-muscled them. They wore them down. Ryan Kelly had no chance. Nolan Smith was dominated. Only the Plumlees, and maybe Singler stood tall. And as several Arizona players said after the game, you could trace it back to a team circling the wagons after last year, manning up, believing in their coach, and hitting the weight room every fucking morning at 6AM ready to kick ass. That's why the beat Duke, and the satisfaction from knowing that their collective commitment is what persevered is going to serve them for the rest of their lives.

We had a team that didn't know how to properly use a knife and fork, much less practice and work hard. This isn't about socks or bad AAU coaches who never said no, this about kids most without fathers or role models who could do at least one thing well that got them to this place, and now that they're here, they have to be taught how to conduct themselves as men whose aim is basically just one thing: success. To get there, they need to believe and they absolutely have to be disciplined.

And if they do, all the pansy ass douchebags who have been joking about socks for the last four months and I am sure up until then will go ape shit over our level of commitment and discipline oblivious to their two-facedness.

The sock joke is a declaration that I know nothing about team sports or comedy. It's a disservice to both!

As to not knowing how to use a fork and knife or work hard, Were you referring to our players this year, or are you referring to the players under the Gaudio regime? Questioning the basketball related work ethic of our players is debatable. It's pretty easy to use terms like Work Ethic, Basketball IQ, Discipline as reasons we may have failed in the last couple of years because none of those are hard targets, and can't be proven right or wrong.

As to not knowing how to use a fork and knife or work hard, Were you referring to our players this year, or are you referring to the players under the Gaudio regime? Questioning the basketball related work ethic of our players is debatable. It's pretty easy to use terms like Work Ethic, Basketball IQ, Discipline as reasons we may have failed in the last couple of years because none of those are hard targets, and can't be proven right or wrong.

Yes, this year.

I'm just saying that post season success begins the April before that season. Other than the Fab 5, I don't think you can find a team that makes a deep run in the tourney that spent the previous off season fat and happy or morose and in disarray.

thumb.aspx

I still laugh at sock jokes ONLY because I know they bother jaybone.

mickfoley.jpg

Note: unconventional use of socks, championship belt. Your argument is invalid.

Of course to really analyze this you should consider how many kids got drafted just because their team made the final 4.

Last I heard Sean May was playing in Europe, but he was drafted and flamed out in the NBA.

Having good players is important, the fact that an NBA GM becomes enamored with a player because he is in in the final 4 is another thing all together.

Back