• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Serious Question

mebanedeac

Reaction score
First, I hate division. That is sad; but, it is beyond me.

My question is: why is it supposed that cussing and vulgarity makes a better board?

Honestly, it almost sounds like teen-age boys getting away from their parents so that they can try out all the vulgar expressions they know and perhaps learn some more.

Offensive language adds nothing to the communication of useful information or to the establishment of good relations.

I recognize that these comments will be unwelcome by many, perhaps most. IMO, the new board will be much more inviting and substantive without the bad language.

Last edited:
First, I hate division. That is sad; but, it beyond me.

My question is: why is it supposed that cussing and vulgarity makes a better board?

Honestly, it almost sounds like teen-age boys getting away from their parents so that they can try out all the vulgar expressions they know and perhaps learn some more.

Offensive language adds nothing to the communication of useful information or to the establishment of good relations.

I recognize that these comments will be unwelcome by many, perhaps most. IMO, the new board will be much more inviting and substantive without the bad language.

We are all grown ups. We should be treated as so. If you don't like the bad language, we will eventually be implementing a user set censor.

I defy you to use the English language to fully convey the experience of watching our football and basketball teams this year without the use of profanity.

It is unpossible.

After what's been going on over on DS lately, I think it's more about having an open forum with no rules.

The tone has been a lot better too. Maybe the cursing provides an outlet so people don't feel the need to make personal attacks.

No one's forcing you to curse. And I'm sure nothing will be typed here that you haven't heard/read before.

My take is that it's part of an overall attitude of laissez-faire from the moderating team here, rather than an end in and of itself. Although there has been a bit of a novelty effect with the cursing.

i actually prefer when swearing was censored, either by scout/OGBboards and/or self-censoring. :shrug

MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY!!!! THEY SAID A NAUGHTY WORD!!!!

Can somebody (seriously) explain to me why it's better to see:

"Go **** yourself."

instead of

"Go fuck yourself."

I mean, you really don't know what the stars meant? Or seeing the actual letters there is just too disturbing? It's akin to spelling out words instead of saying them in front of a kid that has already learned how to spell. At some point as an adult the stars shouldn't be so effective...

mebane, there are now multiple places where Wake fans are posting about Wake athletics. You can post on the other one if this forum offends you. Thankfully, we now have a choice.

The only thing I would be worried about is people getting trouble at work because posts here set off some kind notification with their IT folks.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

the idea of this board is that you are adults and we treat you as such. the hope is that with reduced moderation, people will take more responsibility for their posts instead of trying to pound against constantly-shifting and ill-defined moderator restrictions or posting something borderline and thinking, "the mods will clean it up if i went over the line."

if the cursing is a problem for you, twdeac is working on a user-set filter, and i'm sure the volume will decrease as the novelty wears off.

Back