• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Being a pain in Landlord's ass

KennyRogersRoast

Reaction score
My landlord is a jackass. That is his legal right. Ideas for how I can be a pain in his ass? Legally of course.

Just ask him to fix stuff that really isn't problematic and you could do yourself.

Do you live in a house or apartment? Do you have a yard? Most housing contracts have yard-care mentioned as the landlords responsibility and the tenant still pays it.

You might want to look into that.

Read your lease. Be creative without violating its terms. Avoid destruction of property or nuisance to neighbors. Maybe you could do something you're allowed to do, like call him to fix things at all hours or paint the rooms neon pink.

What kind of stuff is he a jackass about?

House rental. It is my duty to maintain lawn. He is rude whenever I have to contact him. The home was under warranty until recently and he would tell me to call the warranty company for repairs and lie and tell them I was the owner of the home. He is so lazy. He won't get his mail forwarded. I'm a nice guy so I forwarded the important tax stuff to him at first, but now he is getting more mail here than I am.

He tried to ban directv completely, but I informed him the FCC does not permit outright and total banning of a dish. I put it on a pole.

He has not done anything too bad. I would just like to needle him a bit.

Rip out all the copper piping.
Kick holes in the drywall.
Drop ground beef down the vents.

Seriously, I would just put all of his mail in a box and hand him the box when he comes to fix a leaky faucet.

Couldn't you take his mail back to the post office and tell them that he no longer lives there? Give them his actual address and when it keeps coming, write "No person at this address" and put it back in the mailbox.

I've been writing forward on the mail and putting it back in the box. The mail is not junk mail and he has never lived here. Do you think the owner is claiming this place as his residence? We have to pay our rent by depositing funds in his account. No checks. It sounds fishy to me.

I've been writing forward on the mail and putting it back in the box. The mail is not junk mail and he has never lived here. Do you think the owner is claiming this place as his residence? We have to pay our rent by depositing funds in his account. No checks. It sounds fishy to me.

This definitely sounds fishy. :wtf:

Insist on paying by check, directly depositing seems like he is basically trying to claim that place as his residence (which has different tax rates versus a rental property or "second" home) and also trying to avoid having to pay tax on the rental income. So, he is getting a nice tax shelter (possibly legal or not) while you live there.

I've saved the best for last. The jackass is actually the property manager. The owner is a Nigerian banker. It sounds like a played out Internet scam.

have 2 children and leave them in his hallway to scream and yell. oh wait that's how my landlord is a pain in MY ass.

1 week until i move.

I have to say this to counter the bad landlord thing, my landlord just renewed my lease for a cheaper rate (which was already well below what she should be charging) and waived the pet fee for my dog. And this comes after her husband (my original landlord) passed away from cancer. I love this lady. But I'm also a great tenant.

The "direct deposit" thing sounds definitely fishy. I would ask to pay a different way, since if you end up with a conflict with him, it might be nice to be able to prove when you paid rent based on checks. Might be a deal-breaker with him, though, if he's trying to scam the government.

You could always place an anonymous call to the IRS for him. That would piss him off, I bet.

Mine just reduced my rent too! We pay $750/month for a two bedroom - that includes all utilities. May not sound impressive till I mention I live in AZ and an electric bill in the summer could be like $200/month.

That is pretty sweet. Definitely cannot be making too much off your lease during the summer. Are there any HOA fees? If so, you should be arrested for stealing from them, haha. I do like the $750 for a 2Bd place.

Mine includes all utilities except power, cable/internet, spots in the parking garage (only necessary on game days), a "tailgate" level (rooftop bar) for South Carolina football, washer/dryer and a 1600 sq. foot unit that was built 4 years ago. If you couldn't tell, I live right next to the South Carolina football stadium. $800/month when they rent for $1100 normally.

Also, if anyone is in Columbia and wants to party/hang out, let me know. I love my place.

Anybody know of any houses with fenced in backyards in Winston? (with a good landlord...) Thanks.

I have so many answers for this thread... I might post a top-10 list tomorrow.

Tonight, I'll just say... I agree with others who have alluded to the fact that most things that appear sketchy in these situations are, in fact, sketchy.

With that being the case... 'innocently' put him in between a rock and a hard place on things you can play dumb on.

Back