• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Where's Wake Forest This Year

KennyRogersRoast

Reaction score
I was wearing a Wake shirt at the store today and someone stopped me to ask where Wake was this year. He said he couldn't believe he saw FSU in the brackets and not Wake. Asked if we had a down year/new coach. He was the fourth person this month to question me like this. To the casual fan we still have a good reputation. I'm in Texas by the way. How long will this rep last? Will the question become simply where's Wake Forest?

Of course I told him we won the ACC but declined a tourney invite to concentrate on midterms.

i think it will last a little bit...we are still pretty close to the cp3 years and the couple, while short lived, number 1 rankings. that, coupled with wake having significantly reduced national TV exposure, makes people not notice when we aren't as good as we usually are

another thing is the fanbase is very limited so theres very very few people outside of those who attended wake who talks about the team to other people

That we've fallen off the radar so quickly should be a signal to Wellman that we don't have time sit back and watch Bzzz blow up the program in the hopes he can rebuild it in two or three years. We don't have the luxury of a lack of urgency. We will simply be left behind.

Yes, the fan base is small, but if more of us followed my lead and put gigantic WF logos with the deacon head on the back window of their cars, we would have more exposure to the masses.

Go Deacs!

I was asked essentially the same thing by a guy I spoke with at an CLE last week. I was super nervous and he was trying to get me talking about anything other than our upcoming presentation. He said he didn't see Wake in the bracket and asked if we were at least in the NIT (he's an SEC guy and I'm guessing not a huge basketball fan in general). I could only laugh.

I get asked this question all the time. The perception is that we are still a good, big time basketball school. The reality is we suck. I'd say we have about another year of built up rep.

That we've fallen off the radar so quickly should be a signal to Wellman that we don't have time sit back and watch Bzzz blow up the program in the hopes he can rebuild it in two or three years. We don't have the luxury of a lack of urgency. We will simply be left behind.

did you even read the initial post?

Packed bar all day yesterday wearing a Wake hat. Usually gets at least a couple of comments in Dallas basketball or football season. Nothing yesterday.

We're off the radar which is not good.

I was asked essentially the same thing by a guy I spoke with at an CLE last week. I was super nervous and he was trying to get me talking about anything other than our upcoming presentation. He said he didn't see Wake in the bracket and asked if we were at least in the NIT (he's an SEC guy and I'm guessing not a huge basketball fan in general). I could only laugh.

Oh God, you must have been a disaster before that presentation. How many people were in the room?

:cliffs:

^Seemed appropriate.

Were you at least able to have a couple shots before hand?

Yeah. People haven't heard much if anything about Wake this year or seen us play on TV. When people see a Wake fan with a shirt or hat on, they ask what the hell happened to us because they don't know. That's off the radar.

Oh God, you must have been a disaster before that presentation. How many people were in the room?

:cliffs:

^Seemed appropriate.

Were you at least able to have a couple shots before hand?

Total wreck. I was expecting between 50-75 people, looked in the room and saw it was full, asked the program chair how many were registered and he said 175. I wanted to vomit (where's the puking emoticon when you need it?). And I did it without any booze. One of my co-workers told me that she gets beta blockers from her doc before public speaking and that I should totally try them next time.

People STILL see my Wake stuff and talk about how we are a great basketball school. It is not fun when they ask me how we are doing this year.

What has been fun, and new, are the comments about football now that we beat the Aggies. One person said something like I knew you had a great basketball team, but I did not even know you had a football team.

tell him there's a lucrative investment opportunity but better get in now b/c there are only 12 regular season games left !

Ha, I thought the same thing. My take away from the initial post is that we have a good basketball reputation, despite currently not doing well.

i think it will last a little bit...we are still pretty close to the cp3 years and the couple, while short lived, number 1 rankings. that, coupled with wake having significantly reduced national TV exposure, makes people not notice when we aren't as good as we usually are

another thing is the fanbase is very limited so theres very very few people outside of those who attended wake who talks about the team to other people

Feels like forever and a day to me.

I was wearing a Wake shirt at the store today and someone stopped me to ask where Wake was this year. He said he couldn't believe he saw FSU in the brackets and not Wake. Asked if we had a down year/new coach. He was the fourth person this month to question me like this. To the casual fan we still have a good reputation. I'm in Texas by the way. How long will this rep last? Will the question become simply where's Wake Forest?

Of course I told him we won the ACC but declined a tourney invite to concentrate on midterms.

This post is optimistic compared the the posts today. Little did we know that 7 years later we'd still be doggy paddling up shit creek with a "young team" classic "wait til' next year's"

This post is optimistic compared the the posts today. Little did we know that 7 years later we'd still be doggy paddling up shit creek with a "young team" classic "wait til' next year's"

This is one of my biggest gripes. You hear folks say "be patient" or "its a young team". How long do I have to keep hearing this? At the rate the program is going now, I'll be in the damn ground before Wake hoops is relevant again. My favorite excuse especially from other fans is that Wake is a tough academic school and it's hard to get top recruits. It's like folks think Wake Forest is the only "tough" academic school that plays sports. I love that football, baseball, soccer, and other sports are doing well and I try and support those sports (although I have not been to a soccer game yet.) It's very hard for me to accept that Wake Forest does not have a good basketball program right now.

We'll be a young team as long as we are composed of mostly underclassmen.

Back