• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Will unions turn elections in OH, MI, WI, IN, MO, PA?

RJKarl

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
Had the GOP just shut up and taken their huge wins, they could have grown teir seats in every house of government.

Now they have alienated many of the white middle calss voters that helped them in 2010.

How will they get them back?

i think it will be an interesting voter demographic to watch. obviously many factors can come into play between now and 2012 (i assume that is the election you are referencing).

as a government employee from a non-union state i find the entire issue extremely fascinating and difficult to figure how I'd react if it were me in some of these employee's shoes

MI is a perfect example. It's become a banana republic. After the bill was signed by the governor, a single person -apoointed by the governor, can declare any sity, town or county to be failing and take it over.

In essence this one person can fire everybody and declare all contracts void.

Kasich has called cops stupid. That's a lot of votes in very close state.

one big factor is while the attack on "idiot bureaucrats" can play well in the papers and in populist circles, eventually, the economy will turn and all the quality people working in the public sector will get the f out.

even in non-union NC i expect drastic changes to the retirement system in the next 5 years or so.

looking at your example from Michigan, that's all local government needs, some uninformed appointee laying off quality people with years and years of institutional knowledge

Look, there can be little doubt that the GOP over reaching their bounds here coming off of big wins (so they were over zealous) will cost them in the next election. If they played it smarter then they could have carried the momentum. Instead, they decided to try to flex their muscles.

Good call, guys. Americans love to be bragged to.

The WI saga goes against the general 2012 strategy of the GOP moving to the middle in the face of a general election. In a mid-term like 2010, you want your base fired up, so you allow your moronic attack dogs to run off the leash. That's why the Palin-Beck-Hannity faction got so much leeway.

But as you move towards a presidential election, you need to attract the middle -- moderate voters who are turned off by ideology -- which means muzzling those more partisan factions. What's been most interesting is watching the GOP intelligentsia slowly back away from it's radical wing and try to recenter, but without giving offense.

The attack on unions is great example of a double-edged sword. The GOP loved it in 2009, but it's not whole-heaertedly approved in 2011. Union members vote at a high clip. I think Walker is going to discover that he's not popular within the party in the next 18 months.

Arlington, something else is unions are used to simply having their checks for political campaigns, In WI, IN, MI and OH, union members and their family rediscovered te power of foot soldiers.

It's possible they may be knocknig on the doors of their neighbors. This could prove to be far more powerful than TV ads.

Had the GOP just shut up and taken their huge wins, they could have grown teir seats in every house of government.

Now they have alienated many of the white middle calss voters that helped them in 2010.

How will they get them back?

Lol

After 2016 elections here's the breakdown.

Governors (only two seats were up for re-election this past election noted below):

IN - R (just elected, replacing a R who is leaving office)
MI - R
MO - R (just elected, replacing a D who has a term limit)
OH - R
PA -D
WI - R

State Legislations Following 2016 Elections (no changes in control for any of these bodies):

Senates

IN - R (41 to 9 seats)
MI - R (27 to 10 seats)
MO - R (26 to 8 seats)
OH - R (24 to 9 seats)
PA - R (34 to 16 seats)
WI - R (20 to 13 seats)

Houses

IN - R (70 to 30 seats)
MI - R (63 to 37 seats)
MO - R (117 to 46 seats)
OH - R (66 to 33 seats)
PA - R (122 to 81 seats)
WI - R (64 to 55 seats)

MI is a perfect example. It's become a banana republic. After the bill was signed by the governor, a single person -apoointed by the governor, can declare any sity, town or county to be failing and take it over.

In essence this one person can fire everybody and declare all contracts void.

Kasich has called cops stupid. That's a lot of votes in very close state.

Hilarious. Hello--you live in a banana republic.

The WI saga goes against the general 2012 strategy of the GOP moving to the middle in the face of a general election. In a mid-term like 2010, you want your base fired up, so you allow your moronic attack dogs to run off the leash. That's why the Palin-Beck-Hannity faction got so much leeway.

But as you move towards a presidential election, you need to attract the middle -- moderate voters who are turned off by ideology -- which means muzzling those more partisan factions. What's been most interesting is watching the GOP intelligentsia slowly back away from it's radical wing and try to recenter, but without giving offense.

The attack on unions is great example of a double-edged sword. The GOP loved it in 2009, but it's not whole-heaertedly approved in 2011. Union members vote at a high clip. I think Walker is going to discover that he's not popular within the party in the next 18 months.

Walker won re-election pretty easily in 2014.

Does rj have enough self awareness to realize how often he is wrong on practically every topic he weighs in on?

Back