• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Butler

I thought he was a good coach, but I still subscribed to the magical run theory.

Taking this team losing a 1st round NBA draft pick and being 14-9 (6-5) after losing to a team with a kenpom rating as bad as us, and going to the final four has made me a believer.

Brad Stevens is a basketball god.

Lord do I have program envy

Fixed.

Let's not act like Stevens did this alone. He's doing an amazing job, but Butler has gotten the job done under several different coaches.

It's makes being a Wake fan a little easier since I've transitioned to just rooting for Butler in March since after the UF game and the Butlerization.

I hope they win it all. That way no one in my office can have the satisfaction of picking Kansas to win the tourney this eyar.

I'm convinced Butler is the team of destiny. Stevens is a phenomenal coach, but their team does some boneheaded stuff at times and still manages to pull victories out with gutsy, determined performances. And a small dose of luck sometimes.

Butler's a good team and Stevens is a good coach. But Florida deserved to lose today. Their last possessions in regulation and OT were beyond horrific. I sat there stupefied when they launched a 26-footer in a tie game with six secs left

Butler's a good team and Stevens is a good coach. But Florida deserved to lose today. Their last possessions in regulation and OT were beyond horrific. I sat there stupefied when they launched a 26-footer in a tie game with six secs left

Reminded me of when VT shot that ball too early against us and let Ish have time for that game winner.

I don't see stevens as a basketball dynamo as much as an outstanding leader of young men. Those kids play hard, it's as simple as that. Sure they have some talent but on paper they were totally physically outmatched today by florida, but they played as hard as they could and had great team chemistry

It is not a suprise to see the same coaches year after year. We so need a great coach.

I don't see stevens as a basketball dynamo as much as an outstanding leader of young men. Those kids play hard, it's as simple as that.

Isn't that what it is all about? I think that is what is the diff between the greats and the others. They simply get the best our of their team almost without exception. My concern with Bzzz is that he would be a fantastic writer of basketball strategy, but I don't trust that he can motivate players to employ that strategy and play hard at all times. Certainly if this year was the barometer, this was a laziest Wake team I have seen in 20 years. But I digress....

Stevens is phenomenal. There probably will never be a better run from a 'mid-major' than what we are witnessing from Butler. This could be the best coaching run in history...I put it better than anything Wooden did because 1) they cheated to get the best players and 2) it was a 16-team tourney that excluded many of the best teams in the nation. Maybe K's coaching in the 90's...but this is damn impressive.

Last edited:
I honestly believe that Buzz would be a great analyst. Give that man a teleprompter and let him dissect plays. He would be happier in that profession.

I thought he was a good coach, but I still subscribed to the magical run theory.

Taking this team losing a 1st round NBA draft pick and being 14-9 (6-5) after losing to a team with a kenpom rating as bad as us, and going to the final four has made me a believer.

Brad Stevens is a basketball god.

True. I was a doubter, but I'm a convert now. If we didn't throw the sink at this guy Wellman should be fired.

I don't see stevens as a basketball dynamo as much as an outstanding leader of young men. Those kids play hard, it's as simple as that. Sure they have some talent but on paper they were totally physically outmatched today by florida, but they played as hard as they could and had great team chemistry

You need more than just playing hard to make two straight Final Fours as a #5 and #8 seeded mid-major.

The haters are funny. If Wake had a coach that made two straight Final Fours, he'd be treated as a god. Butler has a coach that made two straight Final Fours as a #5 and #8 and it's "luck".

Stevens is the next Coach K. He will be the coaching legend of my generation.

I'm convinced 30 years from now these boards will have an old crotchety poster named bradstevensfan.

The haters are funny. If Wake had a coach that made two straight Final Fours, he'd be treated as a god. Butler has a coach that made two straight Final Fours as a #5 and #8 and it's "luck".

What are you talking about? I think Stevens is an incredible basketball coach. That doesn't change the fact that Butler has been incredibly lucky in the tournament the past two years.

Stevens is a great coach, and he'd be a great coach whether Butler had pulled all these last second wins out or not the past two tourneys.

It's also stupid to try and use Butler's seeds to prop up Stevens. Making the Final Four from an 8 seed is not better than making the Final Four as a 2 seed -- the latter would, all else equal, be the mark of a better coach.

Last edited:
What are you talking about? I think Stevens is an incredible basketball coach. That doesn't change the fact that Butler has been incredibly lucky in the tournament the past two years.

Stevens is a great coach, and he'd be a great coach whether Butler had pulled all these last second wins out or not the past two tourneys.

It's also stupid to try and use Butler's seeds to prop up Stevens. Making the Final Four from an 8 seed is not better than making the Final Four as a 2 seed -- the latter would, all else equal, be the mark of a better coach.

Making the Final Four as a lower seed means (usually) you went thru higher seeds, aka "better" teams on the way to the Final Four. I would suggest that should enhance ones opinion on a coach.

Do you disagree?

Back