• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Libya !!!

BaseballBoomhauer

Reaction score
obama-libya-plan-cartoon.jpg

sorry. i had to.

Look, that cartoon needs a "Look..." before "of course I have a plan."

HOLD ON, WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT...

Let me be clear...

Libya, great flag or greatest flag in the world?

libya-flag.gif

Libya, great flag or greatest flag in the world?

libya-flag.gif

Forget Libya with Mu-MORON Gad-a-fli; go after Iran! Libya is run by a gangster; nothing more! Did you know Munnamar Gadaffi (sp?) has his picture hanging in the hall of an American Air Force Base still to this day? Strategic Command HQ, Offutt AFB, NE, where he learned how to fly when Strategic Air Command was still in business. We need to slip an IED under his car or in his sheets! Terrorist through and through!!!

Obama is doing pretty much what I would have expected. He has the US involved just enough to show the UN and NATO that we're going to support the efforts in Libya, but nothing much farther than that. Let's face it, nobody wants Iraq part 2, and that's exactly what would have happened if Obama had taken the same mindset as the previous administration. I think they American people are pretty clearly against any more wars in the Middle East, regardless of what some politicians want.

Forget Libya with Mu-MORON Gad-a-fli; go after Iran! Libya is run by a gangster; nothing more! Did you know Munnamar Gadaffi (sp?) has his picture hanging in the hall of an American Air Force Base still to this day? Strategic Command HQ, Offutt AFB, NE, where he learned how to fly when Strategic Air Command was still in business. We need to slip an IED under his car or in his sheets! Terrorist through and through!!!

I totally came in here ready to ban the shit out of you because of your username. It is very similar to a bunch of spammers we played host to last week. Not saying that you are a spammer, just an interesting name :)

Carry on.

Iran? By what right do we have to attack them? Are you suggesting because we don't like a country we can just bomb them?

Iran? By what right do we have to attack them? Are you suggesting because we don't like a country we can just bomb them?

First, I'm not in favor of attacking Iran. That should be stated upfront and remain clear through any reply chain.

Second, you're severely underinformed if you don't know that Iran is behind the killing of hundreds of U.S. Servicemen in Iraq and Afghanistan. My best friend's brother is back from his rotation along the border in Afghanistan, and he says Iran makes no effort to hide the fact that they're funding, arming and training the resistance.

Third, the solution to "Second" is to pull ground troops out of Afghanistan (Freudian edit required), leave fortified airbases, and blast Al-Q from 30,000 feet. Not to attack Iran.

Last edited:
I'll admit that so far I like how Libya has been handled. Involved but not owning the damn thing alone.

I was fascinated yesterday to listen to a very worked up McCain talk about why he was so angry about the effort. He basically said the U.S. is the leader of the free world, we should have attacked Libya and anyone else we feel is warranted in the name of freedom - and to do it first and let the world follow us. He mentioned Reagan's unilateral use of force as the ideal. He then mocked the President for looking to France for support and letting them have a say in handling Libya.

I didn't even realize people felt that way. I mean, I'm all for freedom and America kicking ass or whatever, but to hear unilateral, unsupported, guns-blazing invasions heralded as how the U.S. should always act just seems insane to me. Especially on the heels of Iraq.

Really glad that guy isn't President. We'd be dropping troops, or maybe some nukes already.

there are a lot of Republicans who feel they cannot under any circumstances say anything remotely nice about anything Obama does. I think they are making themselves look stupid trying to bash Obama on Libya. He has handled it much better than any conflict Bush ever undertook. The bashing just comes off looking like mindless contrarianism that doesn't even make sense.

there are a lot of Republicans who feel they cannot under any circumstances say anything remotely nice about anything Obama does. I think they are making themselves look stupid trying to bash Obama on Libya. He has handled it much better than any conflict Bush ever undertook. The bashing just comes off looking like mindless contrarianism that doesn't even make sense.

more than anything, I just want people to be consistent. A few weeks ago, many were saying that Obama was weak, should help out the rebels, etc. Now, they are saying why didn't he consult with Congress, why is he involved, etc.

For example, see Newt Gingrich.

I don't understand people talking about Obama and Libya in the past tense. He's "handled" it, he's "dealt" with it. You guys understand this thing is not over, right? Qaddafi is still in power and I haven't seen anything to suggest that the rebels are (1) capable of defeating the Libyan army without further foreign incursion and (2) even if they are victorious, capable of governing the country in a fair and democratic way.

It's a little early to give Obama any grade on this one, it's still incomplete. It could turn out great, it could turn out like Somalia. There's really no telling at this point.

And fuheel, while I agree Gingrich has been pretty disingenuous, the statements you put in your first paragraph are not actually inconsistent. He could have done ordered military action and consulted Congress. Especially given how insistent many on the right were to commit to military action I'm really not sure why he didn't.

Back