• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Iowans want to make the election about social issues

This is the worst possible thing for the GOP. The general electorate has moved past these issues. If this is what the GOP candidate is about, it's possible they could lose the House due Obama having strong coattails with the indies that switched the House in 2010.

This is also a great talking point for the Obama campaign.

But a great way for the GOP to lose an election that they could actually win if they had someone decent to run...

So the recession and the deficit that was reason to panic to the point of firing firemen, police, and teachers is kinda sorta ok now and its all good and now we gotta stop the gays??????

Quote from this article above:

" State Senator Kent Sorenson of Indianola, Iowa, a leader among the newly elected conservative officials, sponsored legislation seeking to require presidential candidates to produce a birth certificate. He said Iowa Republicans looked for a candidate with solid conservative credentials and were not interested in a truce on social issues, as Gov. Mitch Daniels of Indiana, another possible Republican presidential candidate, has suggested.

Mr. Sorenson signed on to the likely presidential exploratory bid of Ms. Bachmann, who he believes will benefit from awakened social conservatives. As she met with voters in a four-day visit to Iowa, she urged them to look closely at what kind of Republicans they were.

“It can’t just be a Republican. Do you hear me? It can’t just be a Republican,” Ms. Bachmann said, urging Iowa conservatives to set the tone for the nation. “We need to have people who have guts, who you won’t see melt like wax when they get there.”

I know this guy personally (Senator Kent Sorenson), he lives on the next street over from my house and I have talked to him twice about taxes (property and income) and he is a young First Term Senator, but he is right about "GUTS". I have lived in Iowa since 1991 after growing up in Winston-Salem.

The guy no one is talking about in this article really who would make a good Republican Presidential Candidate is Gov. Terry E. Branstad, a Republican who also led the state from 1983 to 1999 as Govenor, left for 12 years and became a University President, then returned to politics last year and faced a strong primary challenge from a social conservative, Bob Vander Plaats (who is a very strong family values guy :cliffs:).

Bachmann is interesting; but I have watched and liked Tim Pawlenty, former Republican governor of Minnesota; he is articulate, good common sense and speaks very well. He is a true physical conservative and I understand what he means when he speaks, unlike Mr. GingGrinch!! who talks out of both sides of his mouth even when his lips are not moving....quite a trick! Anyone who has been married "3" times and cheated on a spouse is just not a trusting person. My opinion.

Also, I agree that all this value stuff, family, gays ( I retired from Active Duty in the US Army after 21+ years and go by the policy "Don't ask, Won't Ask, Don't Really Care!"); getting wrapped up in all these polarizing issues is a mistake to a candidate. Tell me how you are going to: Lower my taxes and what you will do to get it done; how will you make the US Borders safe and why will you do it in a fair and honest way; how will you stop illegal immigration and make those who want to be here do all the things we American Citizens have to do like pay social security, get a driver's license, pay taxes (property if you own a house and income if you have a job); not be politically correct, but be honest and tell it like it is....period! Tim Pawlenty is that kind of person I think from what I have seen so far and plan to research him more. Obama reminds me to much like Jimmy Carter; however, his speech tonight about Libya I agreed with and it was not about being a Democrat or Republican it was about being an "AMERICAN"! I still think boots on the ground are going to be needed in the Middle East and I hope the next place we put them is up the ass of the Iranians! They are the problem of the Middle East. Watch out for their evil group that does their interference in other countries and abroad: HEZBOLLAH! They are a very serious threat anywhere they surface and need to be dealt with swiftly; cut them off and you cut Iran's eyes and ears off to!

Last edited:
Pawlenty is a "physical" conservative?

I thought the last one of those was Idaho's Larry Craig. LOL.

If you see a continued advance of catastrophes around the globe then a quasi religious position ought to be in vogue for 2012.

Most tv programmming is geared toward marketing our fears -- Mick Jagger asking about his own "sinfulness" as he wonders "how white his tee-shirt can be". Therefore it comes as no real surprise to anyone who has been awake these last 50 years that the agency of "Fear" will be on full display.

Here is the playbook:

(A) Middle East rupturing in a way never seen before. No clear choices between autocratic dictators and fringe muslim orders.

(B) 2 Tsunami's and 4 scale 9 earthquakes in last ten years. For those inclined for signs they may see the latest and most intense round of earth shaking to have begun in a town called "Christ Church".

(C) Ecological disasters are also part of the playbook with oil reemerging in vast amounts on the Gulf Coast and, of course, the Japanese nightmare with, as Marvin Gaye put it, "Radiation running underground".

(D) World Economic meltdown as government treasuries across the globe print and pour watered down currency much the same way as the Japanese engineers have doused those melting reactors with seawater.

So... FEAR may have a say in 2012.

Back