• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Publio Transit

jhmd2000

Unacceptably correct
Reaction score
Public Transit

Had the occasion to take AMTRAK service from Raleigh to Charlotte yesterday.

$26.00 One way
3:15 minutes
Power outlet in my seat
No WiFi

Billed every second of my time on the train, working dilligently and uniterrupted by distractions like not killing myself by taking my eyes off the road.

Everything about the train was awesome, except both Raleigh and Charlotte blew the easy part. Neither the CLT light rail nor the Raleigh local bus service made even a passing attempt to make itself accessible to the train station.

Should the Feds bully locals into hooking their ground public transit to AMTRAK?

Last edited:
Was thinking today that a good public works project to create jobs and help with energy consumption would be to re-concept the national rail system, complement it with a good regional bus system, and encourage more efficient local public transit.

Had the occasion to take AMTRAK service from Raleigh to Charlotte yesterday.

$26.00 One way
3:15 minutes
Power outlet in my seat
No WiFi

Billed every second of my time on the train, working dilligently and uniterrupted by distractions like not killing myself by taking my eyes off the road.

Everything about the train was awesome, except both Raleigh and Charlotte blew the easy part. Neither the CLT light rail nor the Raleigh local bus service made even a passing attempt to make itself accessible to the train station.

Should the Feds bully locals into hooking their ground public transit to AMTRAK?

Uhhh, Charlotte has one 9.6-mile rail line. It's not New York City. And based on how much money the federal government gives to these projects, they can mandate whatever they want.

Also, there are multiple bus stops within a block or three of the Amtrak station in Raleigh. Same goes for Charlotte.

Would make sense to link everything (trains, buses, and airports) together. In DC, I can get to Reagan, Dulles, and BWI without driving my car (though Dulles requires a bus ride but only for another couple of years).

In China they have trains that go 200 mph.

The next planned extension of the Charlotte Light Rail is due to run directly through the Amtrack station, IIRC. If not directly through, it will share the same rail right-of-way on the way out of town from what I remember of seeing the plan.

And WTF is Publio Transit? That's not your typical run of the mill typo.

Back