• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Brad Stevens vs Shaka Smart

Brad Stevens or Shaka Smart

• Brad Stevens

Votes: 77 70.6%
  • Shaka Smart

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • I'm fine with [Redacted]

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • None of the Above

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Doofus/Numbers

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters

DeaconSlim2.0

-------------------------
Reaction score
Who would you take next year if you had a choice?

Both young coaches with success and charisma.

One calm and composed, one enthusiastic and excited.

This matchup is a great thing for college basketball and fans of college basketball. The Final Four just got more interesting.

Stevens by a mile. VCU underachieved in the regular season, and none of VCU's key players were recruited by Smart.

Definitely Stevens. Smart is coaching a bunch of players he didn't recruit, and has been stated, VCU foundered big-time down the stretch and honestly shouldn't have been in this tournament at all. Moreover, I've gotten the sense in watching VCU in the tournament that it's not that they're doing more with less, really; they're doing a lot with a lot. VCU has some pretty damn good high-major talent on that team, such as our boy Skeen. Butler plays ugly and wins ugly with more "typical" mid-major players, making their successive tournament runs a little more impressive to me.

On the other hand, taking Butler--BUTLER, for chrissakes--to back to back Final 4s is fucking incredible. The fact that Stevens has done it twice takes a ton of the flukiness out of it for me.

Don't get me wrong, Smart has impressed the hell out of me with his motivational tactics, changing defenses, and his ability to inspire confidence in his guys and keep their energy high (something we could sure use). I just think Stevens's accomplishments to date have been more impressive.

Last edited:
And Stevens has done it by the age of 34. Really puts my lifes achievements in perspective.

And Stevens has done it by the age of 34. Really puts my lifes achievements in perspective.

Shaka's 33.

Can't go wrong with either one. I picked Stevens simply because 2 Final Fours > 1 Final Four.

Isn't this like asking a guy who drives a 1983 Civic beat to hell whether he would prefer the BMW or Mercedes?

Shaka's 33.

Can't go wrong with either one. I picked Stevens simply because 2 Final Fours > 1 Final Four.

I was mainly referring to the back2back final fours. If Smart can somehow pull it off again next year, it'll close the distance IMO.

I was mainly referring to the back2back final fours. If Smart can somehow pull it off again next year, it'll close the distance IMO.

No not really because Stevens will be in his third straight.

Gotta be Stevens.

I like Shaka's style more, but Stevens was inches away from being a National Champion. One year later, he's back in the Final Four and may be playing for another NC a week from now.

Here's an interesting question, given our resources, do you think both coaches would be able to recruit the talent that our fans really want?

I think Smart would be a better recruiter, but the fact of the matter is I would rather have either of these guys than the old prick running the show now.

I just want whatever talent it takes to make back to back Final Fours. Actually, I just want enough talent on the floor and sidelines to win conference games.

I would have picked the beat to hell civic, but I wanted 2 even worse cars.

Doofii for president!!!

Last edited:
For those of you voting Stevens, if VCU wins the national title would that change your opinion?

Back