• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Successful coaching transitions? NBA to College

thedeacfan

Ricky Peral
Reaction score
How many examples are there of successful transitions from coaching in the NBA to coaching at the college level? The names I am aware of are John Calipari, Rick Pitino, and Leonard Hamilton. They have all achieved success at the college level so we know that it can be done. Let's look a little closer and see if they have any characteristics in common that may be success indicators for this kind of transition.

John Calipari - Before he went to the NBA he coached UMASS for eight years. That eight years included 5 NCAAT appearances and 2 NIT appearances. His last five years at UMASS were 1st place conference finishes. He was already a very experienced and very successful college coach, before he went to the NBA. His NBA record was 72-112 with no post-season wins. He then came back to the college game and in the 11 years he's been back, he's had 8 NCAA appearances and 3 NIT berths. (Wikipedia)

Rick Pitino - Before he went to the NBA he had 7 years in the college game with a 133-74 record that included 2 NCAAT appearances and 2 NIT appearances. He then went the NY Knicks for two years and had some success including a Division Title. Then he went to Kentucky for 8 years that included 6 NCAAT appearances with 4 trips to the final four and a National Championship. He then went to coach NBA ball in Boston and was not successful. His overall NBA record is 154-176. Now's he's been at Louisville for the last 10 years which included 8 more NCAAT appearances (1 Final 4) and 2 NIT. (Wikipedia)

Leonard Hamilton - Before he went to the NBA he had 14 years as at the college level that included 3 NCAAT appearances and 4 NIT appearances. Despite his tournament appearances, his overall college record prior to going to the NBA was only 200-210. He then went to the NBA's Wizards garnering a 19-63 record before taking the head coaching job for Florida State where he has gone 176-116. In 9 years at Fla. St., he has added another 4 NCAAT appearances and 4 more NIT. (Wikipedia)

Conclusion? - From these examples, it appears that significant experience and tournament coaching success at the college level BEFORE coaching in the NBA may be a prerequisite to a subsequent successful transition back to the college game after service as an NBA coach.

Negative examples that support the thesis - Both Jeff [Redacted] and Sidney Lowe are examples of NBA coaches who did not have this college coaching success before going to the NBA. However, they both also have more time in as NBA coaches which may be another negative indicator. Both Bz and Lowe have since gone on to fail as college coaches.

Observations anyone? Any other examples which support or disprove this theory?

An NCSU program observer (players parent) offers one theory as to why this might be happening.
http://blogs.fayobserver.com/accbasketball/March-2011/?page=3
Scroll down - It was posted at 10:07pm on March 15 titled "Pack Parent".

my observation is that this thread is worthless and inflammatory, but i will leave it open so you can receive the beatdown you so richly deserve.

I have continually said that Bz is having trouble teaching these young guys the "basics" of college basketball, IMO this is because the NBA presents coaches with players who are already skilled in the basics and have mastered the game to some extent and need "tweeking" in order to be great. Bz often seems so frustrated that the players cant "get it". I think this is because Bz doesnt have experience taking teenagers and making them upper level basketball players.

The above coaches you discuss had the experience of teaching young kids the basic before going to the NBA...

I thought this was "free" forum? Why can't he say what he wants regardless of whether you agree...

I thought this was a "free" forum? Why can't I say what I want regardless of whether you agree...

You can, but saying to leave isn't promoting free posting?

Beat off doesn't mean leave.

I was simply suggesting something more productive than continuing to beat this horse that is practically a zombie at this point.

Ugh, why did these two morons have to make their way over to this board?

Beat off doesn't mean leave.

I was simply suggesting something more productive than continuing to beat this horse that is practically a zombie at this point.

Instead of insults, why don't you do something productive like tell me where you jerks buried the horse you beat to death. That way I can dig him up and read about it.

I assume that since you have such a bad attitude about it, you were on the losing end of this beat down.

How many times has a NBA coach moved to the college game?

Hamilton, Calipari, etc are college coaches that spent a few years in the NBA. They aren't NBA head coaches.

Back