• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

GT is going to make a crappy coaching hire

vadimivich

Reaction score
:tear::tear::tear::tear:

We're so broke due to paying Gailey $1m a year still on top of Hewitt's $1.3m so they both can not coach for us that we just got outbid by Richmond, and cannot even afford Greg Marshall it sounds like. Is [Redacted] available, do you think? Maybe you can guys will swap him with Hewitt - you wouldn't even need to pay him, we're already doing that!

Just shoot me now.

The only joy I've had this basketball season has been watching the train wreck continue at Tech. Bummed about a loss to Presby? I could watch Tech go to Kennesaw State. I was sad to see Hewitt go. Knowing that our own train wreck has a few more years before we can count the bodies, I'm pleased that I may just have the opportunity to get some continued schadenfreude from keeping an eye on the Flats.

Sorry dude.

Tech beat us in two games by a combined 284 points (estimated.) I take no joy out of their situation as long as our current coach remains.

My sympathies.

Just remember, it can't be as bad as Lowe.

The only joy I've had this basketball season has been watching the train wreck continue at Tech. Bummed about a loss to Presby? I could watch Tech go to Kennesaw State. I was sad to see Hewitt go. Knowing that our own train wreck has a few more years before we can count the bodies, I'm pleased that I may just have the opportunity to get some continued schadenfreude from keeping an eye on the Flats.

Sorry dude.

No matter how bad it gets at GT - it's still not going to touch the toxic wasteland that was WFU this year. So at least we have that going for us. :(

That being said, GT is in a pretty scary position. We're going to hire a pretty mediocre guy (Wojcik or someone like him) and he's going to have a really thin roster very shortly (GT brought in 1 scholarship player in the 2010 class, and only has 1 in the 2011 class likely coming). If the new guy flames out on the recruiting trail ... look out below.

I hear you, brah, but I have a long-standing, deep-seated hatred for all things Georgia Tech. The massive inferiority complex they have about UGA manifests itself most notably as the whiniest fanbase on the planet. Go to a game there, in any sport, and leave when one of their fans acknowledges that a foul or penalty called on one of their players actually occurred. You'll be there til the security crew turns the lights out. I like to take a full box of kleenex to hand out when I go watch our annual beatdown at Alexander Memorial.

You all only have one more year of Gailey's buy out, right?

Seems like you should have waited. I mean I know Hewitt sucks and has sucked for a long time, but doesn't sound like you're going to get much of an upgrade.

Couldn't really wait one more year - Hewitt was already getting annihilated on the recruiting trail by the axe hanging over his head, and GT was set to lose a huge amount of money on unsold season tickets due to what effectively was a fan revolt.

I hear you, brah, but I have a long-standing, deep-seated hatred for all things Georgia Tech. The massive inferiority complex they have about UGA manifests itself most notably as the whiniest fanbase on the planet. Go to a game there, in any sport, and leave when one of their fans acknowledges that a foul or penalty called on one of their players actually occurred. You'll be there til the security crew turns the lights out. I like to take a full box of kleenex to hand out when I go watch our annual beatdown at Alexander Memorial.

Not to turn this into a flame war ... but someone from LOWF is commenting on inferiority complexes?

Make it to a Final Four or win a football National Championship and then we'll talk. Ok?

Why not Marshall? Surely he's got to be a more attractive candidate than Wojcik or Gregory. Would he be that much more expensive?

Not to turn this into a flame war ... but someone from LOWF is commenting on inferiority complexes?

Make it to a Final Four or win a football National Championship and then we'll talk. Ok?

Lol, "Not to turn this into a flame war" but I'll insult your entire fan base.

LOWFers are all on the old board.

And an inferiority complex also leads to hyper-sensitivity, defensiveness, and taking one's self too seriously. Pretty sure that's proven somewhere.

:thumbsup:

Why not Marshall? Surely he's got to be a more attractive candidate than Wojcik or Gregory. Would he be that much more expensive?

It sounds like he's out of the range of GT's pocket book.

Remember, we're already on the hook for $2.3m for the Gailey/Hewitt combo, and $2.4m for Paul Johnson ... there's not many ACC schools shelling out close to $5m for their football and basketball coaches, and that's before any new coach's salary is counted.

And the chicks are ugly as shit.

If Tech can't do jack on a limited budget, I fear for our next coaching search almost as much as I fear our current coach.

It sounds like he's out of the range of GT's pocket book.

Remember, we're already on the hook for $2.3m for the Gailey/Hewitt combo, and $2.4m for Paul Johnson ... there's not many ACC schools shelling out close to $5m for their football and basketball coaches, and that's before any new coach's salary is counted.

Hire Gaudio.

If Tech can't do jack on a limited budget, I fear for our next coaching search almost as much as I fear our current coach.

Me too. I'd pretty much just assume that any other ACC school would have more money to throw around for a coach than we would. The fact that GT can't find enough money to hire a Gregg Marshall or a Chris Mooney isn't particularly promising. Then again, it sounds like GT has some super serious commitments to former coaches that we ostensibly wouldn't have.

I hope [Redacted] knows what he's doing and turns it around, because there's always the possibility that he doesn't, Ron fires him (like a lot of WF fans would already prefer), and then we don't even have the money to bring in someone better. Talk about deflating an already deflated fanbase.

Back