• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Gaudio to Kent State?

inspectah

Reaction score
Geno Ford to Bradley.... Kent State's AD is former WF associate AD Joel Nielsen.... could it happen?

I hope he catches on somewhere. Tough spot to be thrown into here etc..........

Wouldn't this guy's first phone call go to Ron Wellman? For some reason I'm doubting Wellman is going to give a glowing recommendation. Seems like Gaudio would have a much better chance of landing a job somewhere where the AD does NOT have a Wake Forest connection.

That's going to be the problem. Any prospective employer will make those calls: Wellman, well, who's to say, but yes, probably not the best reference.

Anyone at Army who was around when he was? Well, he sucked there and bitched about all of those other priorities the cadets had other than basketball. He did almost get into a fist fight with K, which would be a plus almost everywhere else, but probably not at Army.

Loyola? Sucked there, too.

Sadly, of his former immediate bosses, Skip would be the only one on whom you could count to go to bat for the guy, I think.

I doubt coaching talent is the only thing that would come up. I also bet that Wellman still has plenty of cache among his fellow ADs, despite what many may think of his process in letting Gaudio go and hiring [Redacted].

I wonder if Dayton might be interested in Gaudio in attempt to follow Xavier's model for success in that conference.

I doubt the WF connection would hurt. RW is not going to say anything to hurt Gaudio's chances to coach again. Further, let's admit it, the real reasons that DG was relieved at WF would probably not give most ADs or fanbases a second thought. Nielsen knows RW well so I would bet that he can guess as to the real back story to DG's dismissal.

Wellman will have nothing bad to say about Dino.

Yea, regardless of why Wellman fired Dino, I have a really hard time seeing him try to actively keep Dino from getting a job. Wellman seems to be a nice enough guy that he'd like to see Guadio succeed somewhere.

I ran into Dino at Bagel Station one morning last summer. We chatted for a minuteand parted ways, but when I realized the "Jeff [Redacted] Wake Forest Baksetball Camp" flyer was sitting on the counter next to us I couldn't help but feel bad for the guy (I probably chuckled a little bit too). Dino's a good guy, I hope he gets a job somewhere.

I don't know why Wellman would trash Dino. I'm sure he'd recommend him to Kent State, although I'm not sure how he'd do with lesser talent.

How many people ask you to call the guy who fired you for a reference?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Wellman will "trash" Dino, particularly to an AD with whom he has no connection, or otherwise try to keep Dino from getting a job. But if Wellman is close with his former employee, Joel Nielsen, I imagine Wellman would be more inclined to be honest with Nielsen about his experience with Dino. And there is reason to suspect that experience was not entirely positive.

If you really think about it, Wellman would probably like to see Dino employed somewhere ASAP, and I doubt he'd trash the man anyway. Dino's 61-31 in the ACC with two tourneys is going to speak louder than a former AD's opinion.

If I were Dayton, he'd be on my short list.

Last edited:
Good for Dino, good guy. Deserves a second chance somewhere. Best of luck

I really doubt Wellman would trash Dino. I think he'd give him a good recommendation and say that Dino just didn't fit at WFU but is a good coach, recruiter, blah, blah.

Wouldn't Wellman want Dino to find another job quickly since presumably a new salary for Dino would mitigate against the buyout and thus decrease what the AD is on the hook for?

Employers are too scared to be sued by employees to trash their previous performance. Whatever the reasons RW would probably rather just move on.

Back