• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rating ACC Coaching Jobs

RJKarl

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
Some will get upset but here is my rating:

1. Duke - has a unique position in recruiting-downside following K
2. Carowhina- Top 5 program in nation -anyone can select not recruit
3. MD - Good recruiting area-good tradition-big school
4. Wake - Good track record getting people to NBA-high academics
5. Clemson- can get players into school does marginally well
6. UVA -was good-great location-gives coach chance to be good
7- VT - Seems to be able to get peope into school, but where's are they?
8. GT - only ACC school in GA-lots of players there-patient supporters
9. F$U- can cheat-lots of players in FL-bad as bball is 2nd banana
10. State-Being #4 in NC-yahoo athletixc department-20yrs of irrelevancy
11.Miami- #3 in FL-redheaded stepchild in their pecking order
12.BC- BC bball is a total afterthought in the region-What does BC have to do with ACC?
That's it.

Last edited:
State is way too low. Wake is too high. Carolina should be #1, Duke #2. Also, switch GT and UVA.

Last edited:
1. Carolina
2. Duke
3. State
4. Georgia Tech
5. Maryland
6. Wake Forest
7. UVa
8. VT
9. Clemson
10. Miami
11. FSU
12. BC

State has been terrible for the entire lives of anyone thinking about going to college now. Sorry, it's going to take an excellent coach to move them up.

State has been terrible for the entire lives of anyone thinking about going to college now. Sorry, it's going to take an excellent coach to move them up.

State consistently gets good classes so perception isn't the problem you think it is.

1. UNC
2. Duke
3. Maryland
4. Georgia Tech
5. Wake
6. UVa
7. State
8. Clemson
9. Florida State
10. BC
11. VPI
12. Miami

I thought this thread was about how attractive a place was to coach? State's resources >>>>>> Wake's resources. It doesn't matter that they haven't been that good recently. They are still a tobacco road school. Oh, and their program is historically better than ours.

12.BC- BC bball is a total afterthought in the region-What does BC have to do with ACC?
That's it.

UNC is the best job in the country, is a brand unto itself and is way bigger than any one coach (unlike Coach K at Duke). It has to be #1.

Wake at #4 seems high, but i'm not sure who I'd replace at #4. I think that Maryland is easily #3 and is heads and shoulders beyond whoever goes at #4.

State is definitely way too low and is probably more in the 4-7 range. Clemson and FSU are not better basketball jobs than State IMHO.

I'm pretty sure you got that list completely wrong except for number #3 and #12.

That's it.

Top 3 is right on the money. You could make an argument for flipping 1 and 2 but they are clearly the 2 jobs and MD is clearly 3rd. I think the 3 worst jobs are FSU, BC, and Miami in that order with BC and Miami clearly being the worst. If GT wasn't hamstrung b/c of the Hewitt buyout I think they would be 4th clearly. I think Wake, State, and UVA are neck and neck for the 5th best job because they are basketball first schools with some history of success and desire to be successful. I would put Clemson 8th and VT 9th. You can have pretty good success in bball at both schools and you can get players in that you can't at other schools, however football is clearly first at both and you'll always be playing second fiddle in terms of fans, money, support, priorities, etc.

I thought this thread was about how attractive a place was to coach? State's resources >>>>>> Wake's resources. It doesn't matter that they haven't been that good recently. They are still a tobacco road school. Oh, and their program is historically better than ours.

Maybe during your lifetime and mine but not the lifetimes of any kid looking to play in the ACC.

Plus Wake has greated many, many more NBA players and NBA stars than State has.

State is #4 in NC at this point and will take a lot to move up.

You conflate performance with potential too much. The list of ACC programs that have done the most in the last 25 years is much different than the list of which jobs are most attractive.

I could see GT being higher, but after settling for Gregory after having Hewitt means the next guy will have a lot to deal with.

You conflate performance with potential too much. The list of ACC programs that have done the most in the last 25 years is much different than the list of which jobs are most attractive.

Results are a very key component in what jobs are attractive.

Maybe during your lifetime and mine but not the lifetimes of any kid looking to play in the ACC.

Plus Wake has greated many, many more NBA players and NBA stars than State has.

State is #4 in NC at this point and will take a lot to move up.

Am I too much of a homer or is this crazy?

Zero talent, terrible coach, small school is >>>>>>>>>> a lot of talent, no coach yet, big school and fanbase?

You're coming off a 1-15 season

1. Duke
2. Carolina
3. Maryland
4. Georgia Tech
5. Wake
5. State
7. Miami - Easier to recruit to Miami than Tallahassee, more elite recruits list Miami than FSU
8. Virginia
9. Clemson
10. Florida State
11. Virginia Tech
12. Boston College

Last edited:
Tech didn't settle for Gregory. They couldn't afford anybody better b/c of the Hewitt buyout and the Gailey buyout...

Am I too much of a homer or is this crazy?

Zero talent, terrible coach, small school is >>>>>>>>>> a lot of talent, no coach yet, big school and fanbase?

You're coming off a 1-15 season

Since 1990 it's not even close:

Wake - 13 NCAAs, 3 Sweet 16s, 1 Elite 8, multiple NBA stars
State- 6 NCAAs, 1 Sweet 16, no NBA stars

The numbers don't lie.

Since 1990 it's not even close:

Wake - 13 NCAAs, 3 Sweet 16s, 1 Elite 8, multiple NBA stars
State- 6 NCAAs, 1 Sweet 16, no NBA stars

The numbers don't lie.

That isn't what this thread is about.

Back